Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Just getting started...
1,473 Posts
I've had my Venza for 7 months now and so far I've done the following:
- Viper 5901 Alarm/Starter
- K&N Typhoon Short Ram Intake
- Front two windows tinted 35% to match the back.
- Weather tech floor lines and a cargo net.
- Hella Horns
- 6000K HID Low Beams
- Yellow DRLs/High Beams
- Yellow Fog Lights
- Headlights with blacked out trim
- Plastidipped front Grill and fog light trim pieces
- Plastidipped front and back Emblems

Here's some pics I took during the process of doing the headlights/horns:

Front Bumper off to take out the Lights. FYI the Grill can be taken off without taking the bumper off.

Headlights taken apart. The part I'm painting here is the chrome on the bottom.

I figured while I had the headlights off I'd take some measurements, the projector lens seems to be about 2.75"

As my Venza came with the halogen projector, they have these squirrel spotters that create an annoying reflection when combined with HIDs. Here you'll notice I put a piece of aluminum tape to cover it.

Here's a comparison of the FX lens (Left) compared to the Venza (Right). They look to be about the same size.

The OEM Venza lens is a Fresnel Lens. Maybe someone will want to swap it out for a clear lens for a sharper cutoff.

Side view.

Monster unleashed!

Here's the Grill and fog light trim plastidipped and the headlight bezels painted Flat Black. I used high heat BBQ paint for this.

I wanted to get rid of the amber clearance reflector but still wanted to keep it legal. I made custom reflectors using reflective stickers (can be found at any auto parts store)

Close up.

Here's the bezel put back together with the trim painted Black.

Headlights put back together.

Here's the Hella horns and they're HELLA LOUD!

Lights put back on the car.

Front bumper, grille and fog light trim put back together.

Looks CLEAN without the front license plate.

Front Emblem plastidipped.

Here's how the front looks.

Side view of the lights.

Back emblems being plastidipped. TIP: Don't mask right along the edge, it's easier and much faster to create the edge while peeling the dip.

Masking tape taken off.

Here's what I mean about the edge. I peeled off all the trim pieces within 2mins on the back of the car.

Used a toothpick to grap the dip and spin the pick to peel the dip off.

All done!

Here's the front with the 6000k HID low beams along with the 3000k halogen fog lights. The headlights are much cleaner to look at without the extra chrome reflecting unnecessary light around.

Lights out!

·
2,878 Posts
Looks really good! I had wondered what mine would look like all blacked out. I had thought about the headlights, but figured it was way to much work, they came out great.

Are you going to black out the door trim and rims as well?

Was the car still under warranty when you did the K&N? If so, have you had it in for service? I want to put one on mine, but it's only 7 months old, and I don't want any trouble about getting service.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Your post is as thorough as your mods.

AWESOME!

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
716 Posts
Enjoy your unique Venza. Obviously a tremendous amount of painstaking work. :thumbsup:

Now you have wandering how the trim on my Mica Venza would look in brillant lime green!:lol:

·
Just getting started...
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Doing an awesome job! Simply amazed!
Thanks! :)

Looks really good! I had wondered what mine would look like all blacked out. I had thought about the headlights, but figured it was way to much work, they came out great.

Are you going to black out the door trim and rims as well?

Was the car still under warranty when you did the K&N? If so, have you had it in for service? I want to put one on mine, but it's only 7 months old, and I don't want any trouble about getting service.
It's definitely harder working on these new curved headlights compared to the 1997 Maxima headlights I've worked on in the past.
It took me close to an hour to take apart each light.

I'm not a fan of black rims as the finer details get lost in them so I'll be leaving them as is. The long term plan is to make the 20s as my winters and get a different set for summer.

Yes my car is still under warranty but I service it at home. Keep in mind the warranty will only be affected for anything intake related. Plus K&N is the prefered retailer for dealers as they sell their products.

Your post is as thorough as your mods.

AWESOME!

:thumbsup:
Thank you! :thumbsup:

Enjoy your unique Venza. Obviously a tremendous amount of painstaking work. :thumbsup:

Now you have wandering how the trim on my Mica Venza would look in brillant lime green!:lol:
My idea is always to make the car unique so it stands out without overdoing it. The simple things that make the big difference.

With the Mica, I would definitely recommend blacking out the grille and the fog light trim pieces. Try Plastidipping so if you don't like it you can simply peel it off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
love wht u did... wish i cud hav sum1 do it for me too... jus picked up my black venza yday in mississauga

·
Just getting started...
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
love wht u did... wish i cud hav sum1 do it for me too... jus picked up my black venza yday in mississauga
Thanks! A friend of mine can do this for you but he's in Pickering. Send me a PM if you need to get in contact with him.

·
ARCHIE74
22 Posts
The Venza looks bad ass, great job! I notice you went yellow with the fogs. I did the same earlier today, ordered the lights and installed them myself. Unfortunately by the end of the day the driver side fog melted, disappointed but shouldn't be a difficult fix, guessing i'm a need to order 1 new fog. I'm thinking maybe i installed the bulb wrong cause so far the passenger side looks fine. Any suggestions?

·
Just getting started...
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Take out the bulb and see if it has a bulge in it, if it does you probably touched it with your finger or something.

·
Registered
49 Posts
very nice mods, was wondering where you got the tints from?

Is the 35% standard or closest match for the fronts? I hated the fact they only tinted the rear windows so now I need to go out and tint the front ones to match. How is the match for 35%?

Where abouts you located? I might see you around the neighbourhood.

·
Registered
478 Posts

Front Bumper off to take out the Lights. FYI the Grill can be taken off without taking the bumper off.

Headlights taken apart. The part I'm painting here is the chrome on the bottom.

As my Venza came with the halogen projector, they have these squirrel spotters that create an annoying reflection when combined with HIDs. Here you'll notice I put a piece of aluminum tape to cover it.

I just bought a set Morimoto Elite H11 HID's. I have a few questions:

1. Do I need to take the front bumper off to block the squirrel spotters? If so is it pretty straight forward?

2. How much, and where did you buy your FX lenses? Were they basically plug and play, or did you need to modify your headlight to install them in the stock halogen headlights? Will they fit H11's?

3. When you pulled apart your headlamps, did you need to put them in the oven and all that stuff?

I may do as little as installing my new HID's and cover the squirrel spotters. Or as much as buying new lenses, removing the amber reflector, and cover the squirrel spotters. If I don't need to pull the front bumper off to cover the squirrel spotters, I'll likely stop there.

Thanks in advance for links to any "how-to's" and help. :thanks:

Best Regards,
Chris

·
Registered
478 Posts

Is the 35% standard or closest match for the fronts? I hated the fact they only tinted the rear windows so now I need to go out and tint the front ones to match. How is the match for 35%?

Right around 20% will match the rears. I usually just tell my local tint shop to match them up, and he takes care of the rest. Just make sure you don't go darker in the front than the rears - it looks silly.

·
Just getting started...
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Thanks! I got my tints from a place in Oakville called Superior Window Films, they do commercial, home and Auto tints. I got my rust proofing done there as well, great customer service.

They recommended I go with 35% to match the rears which is a pretty good match. the 20% would end up being slightly darker which wouldn't look as good.

I live in Burlington and work by the Oakville/Mississauga border. Sometimes on the weekend I'm at my parent's place in Brampton. What about you?

·
Just getting started...
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just bought a set Morimoto Elite H11 HID's. I have a few questions:

1. Do I need to take the front bumper off to block the squirrel spotters? If so is it pretty straight forward?

2. How much, and where did you buy your FX lenses? Were they basically plug and play, or did you need to modify your headlight to install them in the stock halogen headlights? Will they fit H11's?

3. When you pulled apart your headlamps, did you need to put them in the oven and all that stuff?

I may do as little as installing my new HID's and cover the squirrel spotters. Or as much as buying new lenses, removing the amber reflector, and cover the squirrel spotters. If I don't need to pull the front bumper off to cover the squirrel spotters, I'll likely stop there.

Thanks in advance for links to any "how-to's" and help. :thanks:

Best Regards,
Chris
Hey Chris,

To block the squirrel spotters you need to do the works, so the bumper comes off, then headlights, take them apart, block the squirrel spotters on the projector itself.

I think the steps might have been a little confusing, I didn't swap my Venza lenses for FX lenses. I was just comparing the size in case someone wants to do this mod down the road. They'd have my post as a reference. The FX lenses were left over from when I did the FX Retrofit on my Corolla.

I've pulled apart 4 different headlights and have never used the oven method. I find it easier to use a hair dryer because you can have more control over keeping the heat focused on the glue part of the headlights. Plus it's easier to handle the headlights with your bare hands. With the oven you risk mending your headlights really badly if you over heat them. Once you've become an expert with a hair dryer, next step up is a heat gun but they can be much more hotter compared to hair dryers so be extra careful.

Just to give you an idea, it took me about an hour to take apart each headlight and half an hour to put them together. You'll need lots of patience for this and remember not to rush it.

I would suggest just doing the hid kit install for starters and the squirrel spotters are barely noticeable.

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks,
Nabeel

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
About this Discussion
43 Replies
17 Participants
XRSized
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing