Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I'm the proud owner of a new black 2010 Corolla S with all the goodies. :Bruce: I've had black cars before and it's always been difficult to keep the black looking clean and streak free. Any good tips on washing and waxing this car to help minimize these problems?

Rob

·
Megan Exhaust
507 Posts
yeah! wash it once a week for clean look! black cars are extremely hard to keep clean lol. good luck!

·
Registered
629 Posts
welcome to TN and congrats on ur purchase
I find the 2 bucket method works great, and high quality microfiber clothes. make sure to rise the car off like hell before even putting a sponge on it...u will get hairline scratches (swirl marks) i find using a high qualify machine buffer works great at taking them out, i personal use griots garaged on my grey corolla and my dads black tsx

·
2010 Corolla S
2010 Corolla S
365 Posts
Well, after a year's abuse I ordered the Mothers California Gold clay bar kit from amazon which should be arriving in a couple days. I'll be using that to clean her up and then some Meguiars Gold wax. If I remember I'll tell you what I think about it!

I try not to wash too often though, usually a thorough wash once a month and a wax every 2-3 is more than enough to keep it clean. If you wax well, even the rain water can take care of most of it! :)

Welcome to TN

·
Registered
09 Toyota Corolla S
3,516 Posts
:welcome: to TN!

I would suggest trying out Griots Garage. But I use all meguiars...
meguiars NATURAL SHINE VINYL & RUBBER PROTECTANT(cleans/protects all interior plastic/and exterior rubber/vinyl w/o greasy shine)
Meguiars GOLD CLASS™ CAR WASH SHAMPOO & CONDITIONER
Meguiars SMOOTH SURFACE™ CLAY KIT
Meguiars NXT GENERATION TECH WAX® 2.0 PASTE(make sure in the applicator pad you dont get any contaminants on it or in the wax because it makes swirls in the clear coat)
RAIN-X! (to repell water off the windows)
Meguiars Plastx clear plastic cleaner & plastic
Meguiars gold class rich leather spray (for the steering wheel)
Micro Fiber towels(buffing wax and spray application)
micro fiber/natural hair wash mit
chamois (drying)
All can be purchased at walmart(cheapest) as well as fabric guard
steps should be done very carefully to not scratch the paint
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...ghlight=detail

EDIT: make sure you do what TLeong13 said. I always use the two bucket method and save the tires/rims for last and do one panel at a time then rinsing....keep the car in a shaded area not in direct sunlight and make sure you keep the car wet at all times because if the hard water dry's it will leave water spots

·
Registered
629 Posts
another nice way to do it is buy a filter attachment for the water hose, so ull only have clean water touching ur car which will prevent all the water spots...and nvr let ur car go into an automatic car wash

·
Registered
09 Toyota Corolla S
3,516 Posts
another nice way to do it is buy a filter attachment for the water hose, so ull only have clean water touching ur car which will prevent all the water spots...and nvr let ur car go into an automatic car wash
x2 isnt there that mr. clean thing? I think I had one but I hated how the filter setting had such low pressure and that the filters were expensive. Oh and there is a FOAM gun thing where it covers the car with bubbles to prevent swirls. and it also functions to save water too

·
Registered
629 Posts
x2 isnt there that mr. clean thing? I think I had one but I hated how the filter setting had such low pressure and that the filters were expensive. Oh and there is a FOAM gun thing where it covers the car with bubbles to prevent swirls. and it also functions to save water too
yeah there a mr. clean one...i nvr tried it but i heard about it, they do make filter tanks but thats more for car detailer (cost like a grand), but i went back to using my pressure washer to wash my cars, cuz u can buy the attachment to spray soap all over the car, and it does a great job prewashing, washing and rinsing off the car, and i can quickly dry it using either microfiber bath towel (they r ur friends but a little pricey)....btw if ur using microfiber clothes make sure u buy a microfiber towel cleaner, its expensive but well worth it

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,744 Posts
:welcome: to TN!

I would suggest trying out Griots Garage. But I use all meguiars...
meguiars NATURAL SHINE VINYL & RUBBER PROTECTANT(cleans/protects all interior plastic/and exterior rubber/vinyl w/o greasy shine)
Meguiars GOLD CLASS™ CAR WASH SHAMPOO & CONDITIONER
Meguiars SMOOTH SURFACE™ CLAY KIT
Meguiars NXT GENERATION TECH WAX® 2.0 PASTE(make sure in the applicator pad you dont get any contaminants on it or in the wax because it makes swirls in the clear coat)
RAIN-X! (to repell water off the windows)
Meguiars Plastx clear plastic cleaner & plastic
Meguiars gold class rich leather spray (for the steering wheel)
Micro Fiber towels(buffing wax and spray application)
micro fiber/natural hair wash mit
chamois (drying)
All can be purchased at walmart(cheapest) as well as fabric guard
steps should be done very carefully to not scratch the paint
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...ghlight=detail

EDIT: make sure you do what TLeong13 said. I always use the two bucket method and save the tires/rims for last and do one panel at a time then rinsing....keep the car in a shaded area not in direct sunlight and make sure you keep the car wet at all times because if the hard water dry's it will leave water spots
At the car show today everyone that I spoke to uses Griot's Garage products & swears by them as I do. ;) The best comment that I heard though was that the products from Griot's Garage are as addictive as crack. I was LMAO because it's so true but Griot's products are legal & should be used. :lol: They also have a special formula polish just for black cars. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
09 Toyota Corolla S
3,516 Posts
At the car show today everyone that I spoke to uses Griot's Garage products & swears by them as I do. ;) The best comment that I heard though was that the products from Griot's Garage are as addictive as crack. I was LMAO because it's so true but Griot's products are legal & should be used. :lol: They also have a special formula polish just for black cars. :thumbsup:
LMAO wow "addictive as crack":rofl: everytime someone jokes about crack I think of stewie griffin from family guy becasue he says sarcastically "oh yes yes I love crack, I am absolutely coo coo for crack!" :rofl:

I still need to buy some Griot's products :thumbsup: but thats the next paycheck lol

·
Registered
629 Posts
Anybody try any of the spray detailers in a bottle for the in between waxes shine?
i do, but u can only do it if the car is lightly dusty otherwise u risk putting hairline scratches on the car, i use a high quality microfiber cloth and griots garages spray detail

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,744 Posts

·
Paigow
10 Gen Rolla S
176 Posts
Use to 2 bucket method to avoid heavy swirl marks. Buff every once in awhile when swirl marks build up .

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,744 Posts
For an all in one soultion: Turtle Wax Black Box
My neighbor tried this on his black Lexus LS400 & it didn't look nearly as good as the area I did with my products from Griot's. It was easy to see the difference in a side by side experiment. Like I told him, you get what you pay for. ;)

·
Registered
09 Toyota Corolla S
3,516 Posts
My neighbor tried this on his black Lexus LS400 & it didn't look nearly as good as the area I did with my products from Griot's. It was easy to see the difference in a side by side experiment. Like I told him, you get what you pay for. ;)
I never like turtle wax. Meguiars is good enough especially for the price:thumbsup:

I want to try GRIOTS......bah I hate being poor:headbang:

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,744 Posts
I never like turtle wax. Meguiars is good enough especially for the price:thumbsup:

I want to try GRIOTS......bah I hate being poor:headbang:
I can promise that once you try Griot's you will never use anything else. That is the one common thread that everyone that use Griot's says. :chug:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts