Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys few days ago I was looking thru amazon and found this cool sunshade. Its a custom fit just for our Camry's anyway it came in the mail today and I snapped some pics of it. Sorry the cars kinda dirty. Supposed to keep the car cooler by 40 degrees not sure if thats true, but it fits great and looks good. It doesn't use suction cups nor does it need the sun visors assistance to keep it in place, thats a plus because of our poorly designed sun visors. Some pics...

·
Registered
8,415 Posts
Dealers have this for about 25 bucks right? also custom made for your car.

I know I have one. :D

·
Registered
8,415 Posts
I will take some tomorrow.

·
Cruisin' along
2019 Camry LE
858 Posts
I got the same thing from Walmart for $9.98!...No shipping!
well i didn't get mine at wally-world, but i probably paid what you did.........

plain simple sunshade. why would anyone spend THAT much for one is beyond me..........all it does is block out the sun's rays........the car doesn't know where you bought it from. and in the end, with all the rolling up one does to store the sunshade away, in short time, the backing peels off, and the shade starts to tear...........

and to the o/p...........it'll never let your car be cooler, especially if you leave your windows rolled up all day long, like you do now in the pic you gave us. gotta keep a window or two open for ventilation. otherwise, your car is STILL an oven inside.........!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
well i didn't get mine at wally-world, but i probably paid what you did.........

plain simple sunshade. why would anyone spend THAT much for one is beyond me..........all it does is block out the sun's rays........the car doesn't know where you bought it from. and in the end, with all the rolling up one does to store the sunshade away, in short time, the backing peels off, and the shade starts to tear...........

and to the o/p...........it'll never let your car be cooler, especially if you leave your windows rolled up all day long, like you do now in the pic you gave us. gotta keep a window or two open for ventilation. otherwise, your car is STILL an oven inside.........!!!!!!!!
I honestly don't mind paying a lil extra to get the custom fit. I had a regular sunshade before, the suction cups wore out and I started using my visors to support it. I honestly didn't like the gaps left from the universal ones, that's why i purchased this one. My driver side visor got damaged not because of the sunshade but from too much use. I cant say anything about long term use of this since i just purchased it recently. I guess time will tell. The sunshade does serve other purposes like protecting your dash from drying up, and start cracking over time due to the sun. I know leaving the window cracked would help alot. I just dont like taking chances, like worrying about rain or just leaving my window cracked in random places. I might look into some window visors soon and then I will leave my window cracked :thumbsup:

I don't want this happening again.

·
Cruisin' along
2019 Camry LE
858 Posts
I honestly don't mind paying a lil extra to get the custom fit. I had a regular sunshade before, the suction cups wore out and I started using my visors to support it. I honestly didn't like the gaps left from the universal ones, that's why i purchased this one. My driver side visor got damaged not because of the sunshade but from too much use. I cant say anything about long term use of this since i just purchased it recently. I guess time will tell. The sunshade does serve other purposes like protecting your dash from drying up, and start cracking over time due to the sun. I know leaving the window cracked would help alot. I just dont like taking chances, like worrying about rain or just leaving my window cracked in random places. I might look into some window visors soon and then I will leave my window cracked :thumbsup:

I don't want this happening again.
i understand the dashboard thing, and i use a good ultra-violet protector spray for that as well...........and my "universal fit" sun shade has me covered. and i never used the "suction cup" method, i always used the sun visors to hold them in place. in all my years, i have never had a sun visor get destroyed like yours. maybe "too much" personal abuse when lowering it........?? i've had cars and trucks for many years at a time each, and no window sun visor ever got like yours. oh well..........

yes, window vent visors are the way to go, leave the windows open, lock the doors, forgedaboudem.

let us know how the sun shade lasts.........

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No its not from abuse. First time that ever happened to me. I spotted it in a forum not long ago and it seems to be a common problem. Its from a crappy design. Toyota selling them like hot cakes. Careful you might be next :lol:

You can see in that pic. Where it breaks off the only thing holding it is that small plastic piece.

·
Registered
'07 XLE 4 cyl.
6,123 Posts
Both of my visors are in super shape after almost 4 1/2 years and 51,000 miles.

·
Cruisin' along
2019 Camry LE
858 Posts
Both of my visors are in super shape after almost 4 1/2 years and 51,000 miles.
well, my dad's car is a 2000 (camry), with a mere 52,000 miles, no problem as well.......before that, he had a 92 corolla, with over 150,000 miles, and the original visors.........

my car is only a few months old, so no problem there.

so i dunno...........i think someone (previous owner??) abused the darn things.....or if not, some will say they do not abuse things, but do not realize at times how they are handling objects.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Lol I have a 94 Geo Prizm visors still intact. Read this thread carefully see what TOYOTPARTSMAN says. Im the original owner, car has 34k. Dont assume because it doesn't happen to you, it wont happen to anyone else. Ive seen all sorts of problems here on TN that ive never had. Doesn't mean it wont happen to me or ever will.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=354485

·
Need For Speed
2011 Camry SE
10,765 Posts
I've been using sun shades for years now and I always noticed a huge difference in the cabin temperature, even with all the windows rolled up in 85 degree heat. It blocks a lot of the sunlight going into your car, thus keeping it cooler. Mine wasn't even custom fit, just a $5 Walmart cheapo.

·
'11 Camry
2001 Camry
1,370 Posts
I have this same shade; paid $25 at the dealership. It fits perfect. I don't use generic shades, and this one is a good value, even at $30 plus shipping. Check your local dealership though. They might have them for cheaper.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Back in 2002 I bought a $60 shade for my Accord thats custom fit supposedly kept out 99.99pct of heat it was really thick and it was 2 pieces that velcro'd together and it kinda wedged in place and it also had the two side windows really high tech product. It was pretty cool but took to much space so it's been in my basement the last two years. Way back in the day I had one that was pretty cool in the 85 Camry it was a roller shade that held in place with suction cups and then hooked on to the clip I loved it bikini clad girls and all! but it doesn't seem like they sell these anymore.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Back in 2002 I bought a $60 shade for my Accord thats custom fit supposedly kept out 99.99pct of heat it was really thick and it was 2 pieces that velcro'd together and it kinda wedged in place and it also had the two side windows really high tech product. It was pretty cool but took to much space so it's been in my basement the last two years. Way back in the day I had one that was pretty cool in the 85 Camry it was a roller shade that held in place with suction cups and then hooked on to the clip I loved it bikini clad girls and all! but it doesn't seem like they sell these anymore.
Lol I remember those wacky sunshades. Prolly put a ban on them for explicit material.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts