Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Resident slacker
2015 Highlander
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

OK, so it's not really new.. I've had it about a week now, and have been tinkering with it. It's a touchscreen VGA LCD (with 2 additional composite inputs) hooked up to my CarPuter :D

It's obviously still being worked on, but I'm just getting everything to the "usable but ugly" state before I go out of town for a couple of weeks. :)

Nothin' says lovin' like 160GB of MP3s and Video/Movies at your fingertips. :D

·
Registered
175 Posts
jesus... man wish you lived around me... you could help me with putting one in mine. I was thinkin about hooking my laptop up in my car. just to play music and movies and stuff.

what did you use? how did you get the right power to it? how long did it take? any drawings of the wiring and such?

·
Resident slacker
2015 Highlander
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm using full-sized components... everything's mounted in a fiberglass enclosure in the trunk so it's out of the way. Right now I'm running off of inverter power, but I'm considering a DC-DC power supply... don't have a wiring diagram yet, as a few things are going to change. :)

Hopefully once I return from my trip, I'll finally have time to make it look nice :D

·
Registered
175 Posts
when you say full sized components..you mean a full desktop?

... i understand the power source now.. i have one of those inverters in my house... i might use that this weekend for my camping trip :D (kinda parking and throwing a tent.. same thing)

one other question. do you have it hooked up to your ecu?... or just for music and movies?

·
Resident slacker
2015 Highlander
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Full-sized (ATX) motherboard, regular (non-mobile) CPU, regular power supply, and regular hard drives... Basically mounted inside of a custom case that I could tuck away in the trunk.

Right now it's just hooked into the audio. I plan to purchase a GPS unit soon, maybe sometime in the future I'll hook it up to the OBDII port to see what's goin on. :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
nice.... i'm thinkng about doing something like this... but i'm not sure when........

i wonder if there is a way to take an lcd out of a laptop and use it as a seperate screen to hook into another laptop?..... i have a 13 inch screen at home in a IBM think pad (POS) and i was thinking hooking:

power inverter-> laptop

monitor|->laptop
L>power dc-dc voltage reg.

laptop ->sony explode head unit (the only problem is the ohms)

exlpode -> speakers

now how did you get the computer to hook up to the head unit for audio out put?

·
Resident slacker
2015 Highlander
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Using an LCD out of a laptop is usually difficult. You'd have to take not only the LCD, but the chipsets which convert VGA or DVI pinouts/voltages to what that particular LCD uses.

I have a friend who put a 15" LCD screen from a desktop machine (without the housing) into his E36 BMW. Good thing about using one of those is you get the full setup for VGA/DVI all on-board with the controller for the LCD usually, unlike with a laptop where you need to convert. The only thing he really wishes he had was touchscreen ability. :)

As for the head unit hookups, I have RCAs running to the back where (as of now) I'm temporarily hooked up to the regular old sound card from the 3.5mm jack converted to RCA. From there I use an auxillary input for Pioneer's IP-Bus setup. In the future I'll be getting a better sound card, but this works good enough for my trip this week. :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
i know you said he used his desktop .....does your friend know how to do this with a laptop? the work is no problem... i can do the work.

its the theory behind the work i need help with. I've never messed with LCD's... just to know what they are and semi how they work, but nothing in depth like the signals.

·
Resident slacker
2015 Highlander
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He never was able to figure it out with the laptop LCD... since everything is pretty much on-board with laptops... we gave up on it... was more trouble than it was worth, and just sold the screen on eBay. :)

·
Resident slacker
2015 Highlander
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah.. if I got one it'd be the Opus :)

I'm using MediaCar right now, but the developer seems to have disappeared.... might move on to another app once they mature a little more. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts