Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Just found TN and love it
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon,
I think this radiator was still the original. I have had vehicle for 20 years (avy95) and do not remember ever having an overheating issue or changing the radiator. I am writing because this morning I was in an extreme hurry and I really gunned my accelerator a few times. Something I rarely do. After work on the way home my engine started smoking a bit. I was only 3 blocks away from home. I though about pulling off the road but I had some valuable stuff with me and the temp gauge had not budged yet. As I entered my street the gauge started rising but I made it home before it ever got to the red. I hope I did not mess my sweet ride up! I am pretty sure the radiator is the problem as the hoses all look good and are solidly connected and the spray pattern of coolant all over suggests it all came from radiator. There might have been a small leak before because I had to top off my coolant last week during regular check up and I never have to do that. But I am worried that there might be a connection between me being in a rush this morning and the leak. Does that make sense? What other things should I be looking out for once I put in my Denso radiator I ordered? Btw, I did timing belt last summer.Mitsuboshi/Aisin wp/NGK tensioner and pulleys. All torqued to spec. I am hoping it is just an old radiator and not something I did! Any thoughts?

·
You asked for it...
98 Avalon
374 Posts
Doubtful that you caused the problem by gunning the engine. The plastic in these radiators tends to get brittle after a number of years and then crack. A new radiator should get you going.

While you're in there, you should replace the hoses if they are old and maybe replace the thermostat.

·
Super Moderator
12,806 Posts
^+1. Very common for the rads to fail. Usually when the rad breaks, the plastic cap on the top cracks. Take a look there carefully to verify it. It could be a hose.

Also a good idea to replace the radiator cap. Go with an OEM cap. The aftermarket caps are junk, often bad right out of the box.

·
Registered
260 Posts
get a new all aluminum 2 row radiator, new radiator cap + hose and new fresh coolant and u're good for another 10 years +. the all aluminum radiator will not break like the plastic one and it's not that expensive vs the plastic one, maybe 30 dollars more.

·
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all. I feel better. I replaced hoses and radiator cap (all oem) when I did the valve cover gaskets about 3 or 4 years ago. Hoses look good. But I think after reading your advice I am going to replace them. I just checked on thermostat and it is under 20 dollars so I will put one in as well. I am surprised the coolant is so rusty-looking. No pretty pink anymore!

·
short-throw dipstick
5,948 Posts
Get a Denso rad, it should last another 20 years. If the Avy is anything like the ES/V6 Camry there are two options: a thinner, single-row rad and a thicker, dual-row rad. The dual-row, funnily enough, has been cheaper every time I buy one from RockAuto, and it's a drop-in upgrade.

·
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ordered the Denso fron Amazon. I tried Rock Auto first but I need me car for next weekend badly. I have some 50/50 pink Toyota antifreeze sitting around somewhere. When I looked at Rock Auto, I noticed they had a pink 50/50 under the Avalon in the Beck Arnley brand.Does anyone know if this is just as good as Toyota brand?

·
short-throw dipstick
5,948 Posts
I ordered the Denso fron Amazon. I tried Rock Auto first but I need me car for next weekend badly. I have some 50/50 pink Toyota antifreeze sitting around somewhere. When I looked at Rock Auto, I noticed they had a pink 50/50 under the Avalon in the Beck Arnley brand.Does anyone know if this is just as good as Toyota brand?
Not quite sure, but I think the Beck/Arnley is the same as CCI Manufacturing's pink offering. That is to say, from the same manufacturer as Toyota OE (AKA, rebranded OE). I normally use Valvoline/Zerex Asian Vehicle Red which is equivalent to pink, works great.

·
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes JohnGD! The coolant I took out when I did the timing belt looked pretty good. This one is definitely a rust color. That really surprised me! I hope you are not thinking a blown head gasket' are you? Coolant does not appear oily or milky anywhere. I changed oil and no water in there either.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts