Toyota Nation Forum banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
When I took the rail out again, I found out that the passenger side roof rail holes can see though inside the cabin.
and took your advise on sealing the tread - tape and thread locker.. I did both this time on all the bolts.. we will see if this works.
Sincerely, Hope that works. Only time can tell... Best wish and fingers crossed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My 2014 Highlander Platinum had a bunch of issues with moonroof leaks. After trying many different things over a year’s time including new seal on moonroof, what ended up being the issue was a kinked drain hose. Everything was good for a while, and then the other side started to leak. Drain hose was kinked on that side too. There is no explanation on how both of these kinked but they did, and the roof hasn’t leaked since they were replaced. So I’d be very suspect of drain hoses.

·
Registered
2014 HiHy LTD
31 Posts
Quick update on my attempts to fix the leaky roof.
Since it got warmer and nicer outside, I decided to spend some time today to try finding/fixing the reasons for the roof leak.
I took off all the panels and the roof trim on the leaky side of the car, captured a bunch of pictures along the way. I was suspecting the drain hose, as it looked like it was kink and most likely was cracked.. so I was going to replace the hose. Bought a 1/2" hose from the home depot to use as a replacement.
Three hours later I took the original hose off and I found that it doesn't have any cracks or damage whatsoever. At this point I was totally stunned and truly upset of not having an idea what else could be wrong!!!
So I put the hose back, and the only thing I could think as a potential issue was a bit lose fitment of the hose into the sunroof drain. So I put an extra hose clamp onto the hose where it's connecting to the sunroof. If this doesn't fix the issue, I give up!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Quick update on my attempts to fix the leaky roof.
So I put the hose back, and the only thing I could think as a potential issue was a bit lose fitment of the hose into the sunroof drain. So I put an extra hose clamp onto the hose where it's connecting to the sunroof. If this doesn't fix the issue, I give up!
View attachment 295374
Not being offensive in any way, I am wondering why a loose fitting drain hose would cause the water not drain?
Also, where about of the car is the section in your picture, looks like behind the front driver-side wheel wall? Not sure.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
My problem appears unique in that it occurred when I was facing downhill rather than uphill. Two dealers have been unable to identify the problem, but the second cleaned and conditioned the gaskets with a special lubricant made for sunroof seals.
Has the problem been resolved after that?

·
Registered
2014 HiHy LTD
31 Posts
Hello everyone,
I want to continue on what I started in this post with my attempts to fix the roof leaks
I am posting this update after getting two days of heavy showers here in Vancouver and not getting any leak, which gives me a hope that the issue is fixed now for me.

1. Same as last time, I removed the chrome rail from the roof, only on the driver side, where I had the leak.
2. I noticed that the rubber seals were nearly non-existent on the bottom side of the rail, where it goes around the bolts that go into the roof.
20200529_154922.jpg

3. Using an old bicycle tire tube, I cut out new seals and put them on the contact between the roof and rail
20200529_160110.jpg

4. Wile doing that I also noticed that the rubber/steel washer that goes on the bolts may not be as efficient at sealing well the hole where the bolts being inserted, so I put an extra layer of the same rubber cut of the bicycle tire tube for better sealing (@mrdream I used your picture from this post to show the washer as I did not make a photo myself)
IMG_1112.jpg

5. I also put some silicone sealant to the bolt thread

Conclusion, it seemed to me that the water comes through the square cover cup and due to the poor sealing the whole thing acts as a funnel so all the water that gets under that cover goes down under the roof. After I put a piece of rubber under the washer it along with the silicone sealant on the bolt thread fixed the issue for me.
I hope this will help somebody else.
20200529_162204.jpg

Update: quick update after we've got some heavy showers here. No leaks! Everything stays dry! So the problem is 100% solved for me. I think the issue shown on the last picture was the one.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts