Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 210 Posts

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
(56k might be too slow to load these pics)

I don't know of anybody here who has one of these, so I thought I'd show mine off.

This is made by Lund. It is supposed to be a winter grille (to help the engine warm up), but I have talked to another guy who has one on his Tacoma and he leaves his on all year long, with no heat problems. Plus you still have the lower grille letting lots of air in. It would also help keep bugs out of the radiator in the summer time. This grille cover is made from lexan and it has lots of little holes like a speaker grille. It has thumb screws which screw into pieces of metal that clamp behind the plastic parts of the stock grille. No cutting or drilling is required. Should be able to remove the screen grille, and return to the stock appearance without any damage. My wife got it for me, for my birthday, from AutoPartsWarehouse.com for $50, I think.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/performance/basket.php?makeid=25&modelid=321&year=2005&partid=194&brandid=671

Looks pretty sharp IMO. It comes black, but can be painted to match your truck. Luckily I have a black truck. :D Plus I like how it sort-of matches the stock grille mesh in the hood scoop.

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LiquidClen said:
What are all the black dots in the grille for?
Those black dots are the thumb screws that hold the screen to the clamps. The screen is 3 sections. Six screws hold each peice in place. There is a lock nut on the back of the screws to deter theft or vibrating loose. The best way to install and un-install the screen is to just remove the whole grille and do it at a table or work bench. Take out the two plastic pins and two bolts and then just pull up on the grille, and the whole thing comes out.

FYI: To remove the stock plastic pins that hold the stock grille to the light housing, use a small screw driver or pick to pull up on the center on part, and then the outer part will come loose. Don't try to pull the whole thing out at once.

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AlpineJLAudio said:
How did you get the Toyota emblem on there. Does it come with the emblem or no?
There is a hole cut in the screen that is the same size as the emblem. That is the stock emblem sticking through.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i have the lund grill, its awesome and easy to install.

how much was it for the bull bar and piaa ligts? did you get it as a package?

·
Registered
18 Posts
oh and i forgot to ask did you paint the front outside of the grill black? if you did how'd you paint it?

·
Stupid is stupid does
2008 tundra
5,554 Posts
Looks nice. I have a black truck too. Can you find it on AutoAnything.com ? I cant :eek:

·
Buckeye
TACO 'O5 DBL OFFROAD
64 Posts
AlpineJLAudio said:
Dude, I finally took the time to examine your truck. It is sick as fuck. WOW. The paint is amazing. You really know how to keep black lookin' great. I jock. My girlfriend ordered me the P21s Car Care Kit. Savage.
I agree.....very nice.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Bummer, I was hoping someone found a decent "Speed-Grill". Personally not a big fan of the grill covers/screens. But hey it's not my truck so :thumbup:

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
skep said:
i have the lund grill, its awesome and easy to install.

how much was it for the bull bar and piaa ligts? did you get it as a package?
I got the bull bar and PIAA lights separately, on Ebay. The Bull Bar was $230 and the lights were about $250. The lights are the new PIAA dual beam 5250's. They have a selectable low beam fog, and a high beam driving.

skep said:
oh and i forgot to ask did you paint the front outside of the grill black? if you did how'd you paint it?
The grille comes with a gloss black finish. I didn't have to paint it.

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)

·
Stupid is stupid does
2008 tundra
5,554 Posts
Is it 3 peices that make up the grill? Im just about to order one. I think my 4 banger takes a long time for a 4cyl to warm up compared to my 2001 VW golf.

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
lotust said:
Is it 3 peices that make up the grill? Im just about to order one. I think my 4 banger takes a long time for a 4cyl to warm up compared to my 2001 VW golf.
Yeah, 3 pieces.

·
Stupid is stupid does
2008 tundra
5,554 Posts
Pb2theMax said:
Yeah, 3 pieces.

Daym! that just killed it for me. Did they do that for any particular reason do you think?

1 - 20 of 210 Posts