Toyota Nation Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
straight cash homie
20,375 Posts
Wow I'm surprised that you still have it! I thought you would have sold it by now and upgraded to something else. I was considering a Corolla/Matrix XRS but the 2AZ oil burn is just something that I don't want to deal right now. If I had the resources and time to buy one and do the piston ring job on it, then I'd definitely get one.
I believe I need to get the oil burn issue addressed. I'm been wanting to, but I purchased a home and just refi'd it, so the car stuff was put on hold for awhile. At this point, I'm all over the place with what I want to get next. My parents have even offered me their Lexus but I don't want it because I don't find them fun to drive, but IDK, I am tempted to lease a Civic Si.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,721 Posts
Wow I'm surprised that you still have it! I thought you would have sold it by now and upgraded to something else. I was considering a Corolla/Matrix XRS but the 2AZ oil burn is just something that I don't want to deal right now. If I had the resources and time to buy one and do the piston ring job on it, then I'd definitely get one.
Not if you can find one that has already been fixed by Toyota.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,721 Posts
I believe I need to get the oil burn issue addressed. I'm been wanting to, but I purchased a home and just refi'd it, so the car stuff was put on hold for awhile. At this point, I'm all over the place with what I want to get next. My parents have even offered me their Lexus but I don't want it because I don't find them fun to drive, but IDK, I am tempted to lease a Civic Si.
I saw that a very well loaded Civic Si was only $25000 MSRP. Not bad at all for the car you get.

·
straight cash homie
20,375 Posts
I saw that a very well loaded Civic Si was only $25000 MSRP. Not bad at all for the car you get.
Si's are leasing cheaper than Corollas but of course, YMMV. I did read that the supply was extremely tight and, and not many deals to be had if you want to purchase. Most Si purchases are seemingly at or over MSRP.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,721 Posts
Si's are leasing cheaper than Corollas but of course, YMMV. I did read that the supply was extremely tight and, and not many deals to be had if you want to purchase. Most Si purchases are seemingly at or over MSRP.

I always keep my cars so I would never lease. Seems like a waste of money after 3 years of making a payment and having nothing to show for it. The only time I would lease anything is if I wanted to drive a luxury German car for 3 years since I wouldn't want to keep that.

·
straight cash homie
20,375 Posts
I always keep my cars so I would never lease. Seems like a waste of money after 3 years of making a payment and having nothing to show for it. The only time I would lease anything is if I wanted to drive a luxury German car for 3 years since I wouldn't want to keep that.
Honestly, my plan was not to keep my Corolla more than 2-3 years, as I would have just kept my RAV4 and got rid of the XRS sooner. But I decided to save money for homes (CA so $$), so the RAV left and stuck with the Corolla for the long haul.

For me, I want to try more cars in life, I don't want to be stuck in my Corolla anymore. I suppose I can make leasing work as I do have to drive for work (Not so much lately due to the virus). A lot of people will lease certain cars they wouldn't buy if the terms are that good. Obviously, the better the MF, the lease is. Toyota residuals tend to make certain models lease relatively well. One of my friends had been leasing Corollas, and switched to a C-HR two years ago.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,721 Posts
Honestly, my plan was not to keep my Corolla more than 2-3 years, as I would have just kept my RAV4 and got rid of the XRS sooner. But I decided to save money for homes (CA so $$), so the RAV left and stuck with the Corolla for the long haul.

For me, I want to try more cars in life, I don't want to be stuck in my Corolla anymore. I suppose I can make leasing work as I do have to drive for work (Not so much lately due to the virus). A lot of people will lease certain cars they wouldn't buy if the terms are that good. Obviously, the better the MF, the lease is. Toyota residuals tend to make certain models lease relatively well. One of my friends had been leasing Corollas, and switched to a C-HR two years ago.
I've tried many cars over my many years of driving. I've tried enough to know what I like and what works well. I have a nice variety of Toyota vehicles but I only buy cars that I like and want to keep. I've never tried to impress anyone by what I drive and just do what I do for myself. I would rather own many different cars than just one expensive car.

Reactions: 75aces

·
straight cash homie
20,375 Posts
I've tried many cars over my many years of driving. I've tried enough to know what I like and what works well. I have a nice variety of Toyota vehicles but I only buy cars that I like and want to keep. I've never tried to impress anyone by what I drive and just do what I do for myself. I would rather own many different cars than just one expensive car.
I have not had as many cars as you, I've only driven two Toyotas in my life. I don't drive cars to impress people; if that was so, I'll just take my parents' Lexus, which are to me not really thrilling. I don't want to really own a money pit, but who knows, it depends. I've gotten to drive other cars, and they offer a driving experience that I enjoy much more than my own Corolla; the last car that was fun to flog, was a Fiesta ST. Perhaps a Civic Si, Miata, maybe a 86, or who knows, a GTI or Veloster N, that I would want to get. Lots of choices, but not limited to one brand. More like brand agnostic. You do you, let others be them.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,721 Posts
I have not had as many cars as you, I've only driven two Toyotas in my life. I don't drive cars to impress people; if that was so, I'll just take my parents' Lexus, which are to me not really thrilling. I don't want to really own a money pit, but who knows, it depends. I've gotten to drive other cars, and they offer a driving experience that I enjoy much more than my own Corolla; the last car that was fun to flog, was a Fiesta ST. Perhaps a Civic Si, Miata, maybe a 86, or who knows, a GTI or Veloster N, that I would want to get. Lots of choices, but not limited to one brand. More like brand agnostic. You do you, let others be them.
There are many other cars I like but fewer that I would buy. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Civic Si or Veloster N as I do like both of those cars. I don't fit well in a Miata which is weird since I fit so well in my 89 Supercharged MR2. I've driven a Fiesta ST and that was fun but I would never buy one. I also like the 86 but I would wait for the next version that will have more power. My neighbor has a GTI which is a blast to drive and I like the looks but they have replaced his once already and he continues to have issues, love the car, hate the reliability. I'm going to look at buying a GR Corolla when they come out. I'm asked all the time why I don't get a Lexus and while I like some of them they don't offer a MT.

This is why I have made my 09 Corolla S what I wanted. I've always enjoyed the car and with every mod it was better and better. If it was still stock I wouldn't be happy and would have grown bored many years ago but that is true with most cars I've owned. I'm not sure that I'll mod my 17 RAV4 because of what it is to me. My results with my Corolla though turned out excellent and it's every bit as much fun to drive as these other cars we have referred to.

You deserve to explore other cars and if you get a good chance to explore them for a few days you will eliminate many of them. There are plenty of good cars that drive great and are reliable so go have fun!

·
straight cash homie
20,375 Posts
There are many other cars I like but fewer that I would buy. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Civic Si or Veloster N as I do like both of those cars. I don't fit well in a Miata which is weird since I fit so well in my 89 Supercharged MR2. I've driven a Fiesta ST and that was fun but I would never buy one. I also like the 86 but I would wait for the next version that will have more power. My neighbor has a GTI which is a blast to drive and I like the looks but they have replaced his once already and he continues to have issues, love the car, hate the reliability. I'm going to look at buying a GR Corolla when they come out. I'm asked all the time why I don't get a Lexus and while I like some of them they don't offer a MT.

This is why I have made my 09 Corolla S what I wanted. I've always enjoyed the car and with every mod it was better and better. If it was still stock I wouldn't be happy and would have grown bored many years ago but that is true with most cars I've owned. I'm not sure that I'll mod my 17 RAV4 because of what it is to me. My results with my Corolla though turned out excellent and it's every bit as much fun to drive as these other cars we have referred to.

You deserve to explore other cars and if you get a good chance to explore them for a few days you will eliminate many of them. There are plenty of good cars that drive great and are reliable so go have fun!
I guess my standard is still Toyota and now, the Corolla. I definitely like the size of a Corolla, and when driving my dad's ES, the size feels too big. I also had an old RAV4 that I'm still fond about. I would've love to have kept it. For a daily, I wouldn't want to stray too far away from the same sized vehicle. If my finances change of course, I'm sure I could take a look at other vehicles too, but I still value fun to drive over luxury for sure.

A GR Corolla is definitely overdue. If I went German with a GTI or GLI, I'd would lean more to lease it, but no one has ever complained that it wasn't enjoyable to drive. Ownership, huge YMMV, who knows how the upcoming MKVIII will become. If it loses its MT, I'm out. Unfortunately, most of these cars have the level of factory tuning and aftermarket that our 10th Gens never got. I wouldn't want to spend much on aftermarket as I get older, and couldn't imagine wanting to strap a turbo on my XRS.

Owning more than one vehicle is definitely something I'd want to do as well. No enthusiast wants just one car. I would love to get a 4Runner because the aftermarket is so good to it, and the band wagon right now is to turn in into an overlanding rig. Any Toyota SUV would be one of those keep for life vehicles even if I were to abandon my Corolla for another brand.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,721 Posts
I guess my standard is still Toyota and now, the Corolla. I definitely like the size of a Corolla, and when driving my dad's ES, the size feels too big. I also had an old RAV4 that I'm still fond about. I would've love to have kept it. For a daily, I wouldn't want to stray too far away from the same sized vehicle. If my finances change of course, I'm sure I could take a look at other vehicles too, but I still value fun to drive over luxury for sure.

A GR Corolla is definitely overdue. If I went German with a GTI or GLI, I'd would lean more to lease it, but no one has ever complained that it wasn't enjoyable to drive. Ownership, huge YMMV, who knows how the upcoming MKVIII will become. If it loses its MT, I'm out. Unfortunately, most of these cars have the level of factory tuning and aftermarket that our 10th Gens never got. I wouldn't want to spend much on aftermarket as I get older, and couldn't imagine wanting to strap a turbo on my XRS.

Owning more than one vehicle is definitely something I'd want to do as well. No enthusiast wants just one car. I would love to get a 4Runner because the aftermarket is so good to it, and the band wagon right now is to turn in into an overlanding rig. Any Toyota SUV would be one of those keep for life vehicles even if I were to abandon my Corolla for another brand.
I'm the same way about the size. My 09 Corolla S Turbo and 17 Corolla iM are perfect size-wise to me. When I used my mom's Highlander a few years ago when I flew down to NM it was just too big for my taste. It's a very nice vehicle but too big for what I like, this is why I bought the 17 RAV4 as the size was more to my liking.

I absolutely love the way the GTI drives, a total blast. With that in mind, a lease is the only way to go but that rules it out for me as I like to make the car my own, and knowing that I would keep it would make doing mods to it silly. This is why the perfect solution for me was to install the turbo. It gives me plenty of power and was a lot less than buying a new $30k - $35k car that might not be as reliable. While being able to have more tuning options available for my Corolla, I feel that I've done a pretty good job on my Corolla S build.

I wish I was into trucks more but I've never been a truck guy. My brother took that role and I took the car route. He doesn't even have a car, he has all trucks. If he ever wanted to sell his 93 Toyota P/U I would look at buying it from him since it looks new.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts