Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
What the Pho?
2000 Solara
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting to get a film or some crap but it's not on the outside of the headlights. I tried wiiping and using some chemicals, no dice.

So i assume its internally within. I DO NOT want to bake these suckers and reglue them after cleaning, nor do I want to buy new or used ones off of ebay.

So, can I just stick a stick in there after removing the bulbs with a cotton swab at the end dipped in alcohol to clean the inside? Did ne one think of that before? Is that safe to do? I think it's a MUCH better alternative then baking them...

·
Gen 4 XLE v6
02 Toy Solara V6 MT
3,192 Posts
Nice...looks like you did your homework. The ruler with the cloth (aka giant q-tip idea) does work..but u need to remove the headlights to have extra room to play with. But still you are limited there as the room to move the ruler/stick is limited. Before u venture into removing headlights and whatnot...venture into a autoparts store and invest in something called Mcguires PlastX. It shines the platic lense of the headlights removing fine scratches and making them almost new like. I've seen a few before/after pic's and i was impressed. Good luck.

·
What the Pho?
2000 Solara
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
intersting... I am pretty sure it's internal. Th eoutside headlights are still very smooth and from visably looking, looks very very minimal of fine scratches and such. BUt, I will defiantly look into it.

Should alcohol be used? Or a different chemical is preferred?

·
Gen 4 XLE v6
02 Toy Solara V6 MT
3,192 Posts
SolaraTRD said:
Should alcohol be used? Or a different chemical is preferred?
Were u referring to inside or outside? :confused:
For the outside i use rubbing compound...and later as the scratches become more visible i will use PlastX. For the inside i just spray engine degreeser and get that giant q-tip to scrub the limited area!

Edit:
Here is what i was talking about earlier
LINKIE HERE!!!!!!

·
What the Pho?
2000 Solara
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OOOO..

YEah, i did mean use alcohol on the inside. I have used rubbing compound on the outside before... But, it's like oxidation or some kind of film internally though. I dunno. It's gonna be till next month till I give plasticX and Q-tip thing a go. (GOtta finish finals this week)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts