Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Toyota Camry LE
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Im new here.

I was wondering if any of you owned the sony 10'' subs rated 1100watt max 300rms and had problems with it.

Right now, I'm running a Bazooka EL1500 amp to it which does about 375rms and 600max @4ohm

This sub (when cranked to max) blew my single 10'' sub. I thought i put too much power into it but if its rated 1100watts.. it should be able to take it. When I say blew, I mean the woofer cone seperated from the bottom magnic cone thing (not smart with these things).

So, I went back to circuit city to get a new replacement... Tested it out.. worked for like 1 hr.. then the same thing happened.

Am I doing something wrong here?:disappoin

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
Yea, you have the it crank up too high, way too high. The sub saperate even before it got time to heat up. No sub is design to run at any amps full blast, no amp is design to run at full blast without distortion. By the time you get half power, the bass must be distorted.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Ewong63112 said:
Hi, Im new here.

I was wondering if any of you owned the sony 10'' subs rated 1100watt max 300rms and had problems with it.

Right now, I'm running a Bazooka EL1500 amp to it which does about 375rms and 600max @4ohm

This sub (when cranked to max) blew my single 10'' sub. I thought i put too much power into it but if its rated 1100watts.. it should be able to take it. When I say blew, I mean the woofer cone seperated from the bottom magnic cone thing (not smart with these things).

So, I went back to circuit city to get a new replacement... Tested it out.. worked for like 1 hr.. then the same thing happened.

Am I doing something wrong here?:disappoin

The max power rating is basically worthless. What you should be looking at is the RMS power rating. I really don't think the extra 75 watts should cause the cone to seperate like that but the extra power probably isn't good.

·
Registered
2002 Toyota Camry LE
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If i had a choice, I would just choose a new brand of speakers. The store only allows me to replace with the same product (no cash). ANYWAYs... I'm on my 3rd xplod... hopefully this one will last more than a week ;)

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
Damn you guy must learn the different between distortion and bass :disappoin
:p:
Really when you crank it up, the sub will go louder untill a certain point. Don't crank it up any more after that. Also you'll hear the sub sounds funny before you crank it all the way up.
I blown my 12" Xplod the first week, after that it works perfectly.
I learn from my mistake ;)

·
Registered
175 Posts
did you have 2 subs bridged on the the amp?.... because if you hooked it up right then each sub would be getting only 750 wats... which should be fine for those subs.... there could be 3 possibilities what could be going wrong.

1. you swapped the + and the - on the wires going to the sub. causing the cone to get sucked in and in turn damageing the sub like you described.

2. you did not make sure the amp was on the bridgeable setting (sometimes there is a switch that allows you to do this..sometimes its just how you hook it to the amp)

3. i don't think that this could do it, but how the subs are hooked up (series or paralell)... might be changing the ohms..... hook the subs directly to the amp... 4 wires total.

and as for sony xplodes being a bad brand... i agree they do not sound the best, but i have a friend that has all sony explode amp and subs in his VW and they are loud, and have never been damaged.

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
teamhollerside said:
imn my opinion sony is garbage.... audioban is the way to go
Good One :hammer:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts