Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recent bought an gen III 3sgte motor, and AWD conversion kit for my celica gt.
Trying to go up against an Gen II 3sgte FWD Camry LE.

Both are turbo, 5spd. and stock. But looking forward for an stage one turbo upgrade.

Would my celica stand a chance against an camry? Because both are 3sgte but the only difference is that he thinks celica are slow and says he could eat celica all day even with an 3sgte.

So I am looking forward to challenging him. Do you guys think I have a chance of winning?

·
Registered
21 Posts
AWD will own a FWD car straight line and in the twistie, especially in less than perfect conditions, if the power output is the same, which it seems to be...

Concerning your grammar: "an" is only used when followed by a word begining with a vowel (a,e,i,o,u)..... Sorry, it's just annoying...

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
You should be able to launch faster with AWD. You can put down more force with 4 tires without spinning. After that, it depends on tuning.

·
^
4,197 Posts
Even if you didn't go AWD, you'd still eat his car. ST205 3SGTE > ST185 3SGTE and the Camry is heavier. Gearing plays a role, but chances are, the Celica tranny is geared closer than either an S series or E series tranny.

·
Premium Member
96 Camry Coupe
1,291 Posts
Either way, I want to see a vid. This should be good. Is the owner of that Camry a member of TN? Take pics and a vid please!!:D

·
Boooost
159 Posts
yeah..you're putting out more power stock..since you have the gen 3 3sgte...it also depends on the mods that the camry has..but stock to stock..you'll beat him..

·
Search is your friend
327 Posts
Its all about the power to weight ratio and power under the curve.
A 4 door family sedan is generally heavier than a 2 door coupe.
The 3G 3SGTE makes almost 50HP more than the 2G 3SGTE.
2G 3SGTE has more aftermarket go fast parts.
AWD setup of the AllTrac actually spins 2 out of the 4 tires unless equiped with front and rear LSD differentials.
FWD spins 1 of the 2 tires unless equipped with LSD differential.
Obtaining a LSD for a FWD tranny is easier than finding LSD diff's for AWD, but by no means easy to find for either.
Given both cars have the same low power output and both cars can put that power to the ground without spinning its tires the FWD car will come out on top of the AWD car.
More power is lost through the drive train on a AWD car.
AWD adds more weight to the vehicle.
AWD is better suited to big HP motors where the power can be applied evenly to all four corners without spinning the tires all the way down the track.
Its harder for a FWD car to put big HP power to the ground without breaking traction.
FWD car is generally lighter than AWD.
Less power is loss through the drivetrain with FWD.

What year Celica/Camry are they?
What options did they come with/without?
Do they have any weight reduction?
What tires are they equipped with?
Whats the power difference between the two?

You need to be more specific in what both cars will be bringing to the table. Theres just to many variables in order for one to make a intelligent guess.

Oh BTW if you want AWD turbo buy AWD turbo. The Celica already came with that option its called the AllTrac.
With more moving parts there more parts that can break and will - Murphy's Law. More parts equals more money. Unless you plan on rally'n or making +400HP you dont need AWD, be realistic. If your trying to join the ranks of the AWD turbo elite no conversion is going to get you there, sorry.
Im not player hating just hating the game. If I read one more thread about AWD vs. FWD, converting my FWD to AWD, can I use a AWD tranny in a FWD car, etc etc....Im going to shoot someone!
FYI a gutted MKII Camry w/ a mildly modified 2G 3SGTE will spank a stock ST205.

::Bruce Al'Mighty voice:: And that's the way the cookie crumbles!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks you guys, Once I challange the guy then I will vid it for you guys to see. Nah the guy not from NT or TN.

Both car are running stock tire and stock engine. The camry is an 94 LE 4 door. and my celica is an 91 GT hatch.

Thank you a lot for the feed back i feel more confident in beating the guy camry. I will own him then send vid of me beating him world wide.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The only difference really between the two is i heard he has 220 HP and no weight reduction. My have about 260 HP if i am correct from an stock st205.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Have fun doing your awd conversion. Thats gonna give you headaches.

From what I've always heard though, is that a 5th generation NA celica is not a good car to convert to awd. I forget what I read about it, but just a heads up on the conversion if you meet a deadend.

Edit: Where you located at?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
could it be done tough; if it give you headache?

and why is it a bad car to convert to awd?

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
really what car would be good to convert to AWD. this is gonna be a hellava project man, but hey, mad props to ya if you pull it off!

I think you'll be the GTE camry, you have less weight, more hp, and awd. he really doesnt stand a chance, unless he has one crazy supped up GTE, and if he does, tell him to bring his ass to TN and show us!

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
The real AllTrac weight 3000lb for a reason: stength. Your FWD chassis is not stiff enoguh to handle the power. Now you even cut the firewall, cut the under pan, cut some more at the back to put the AWD on. I'll be supprise if you don't crack all your windshields in the frist week.
Ok you gonna cut it up and then weld more support to stiffen it up. Now tell me why you don't just buy an AllTrac? AllTrac are selling for $7000-9000 in Toronto. GT go for $3000-5000. GTS a bit more $4000 to 6000. So can you finish the convertion for $3000? How stiff and straight the chassis will be after all the cutting and welding?
Since there is an AllTrac already, there is no point in doning a conversion. An AllTrac Camry will be a good project. An AllTrac Corolla GTS is a good one too but not on a Celica.

·
Registered
1990 celica All-Trac
161 Posts
no car is a good car to convert to awd. you're looking at a hefty price tag there. go out and buy a st185 instead. you'll love it. i drove one once, the handling beat the hell out of my ex gf's celica gt

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
It'll be pricy for sure but at least you can't buy an AllTrac Camry or Corolla. At least it'll "worth" your effort to do the convertion.

·
Registered
207 Posts
very good point, who knows, maybe when i get a solid daily driver, i'll try and make a project outta that, 4agze powered alltrac corolla gts? i like the sounds of that lol

·
Registered
207 Posts
actually just remembered... they did sell an alltrac corolla, an AE92 sedan or wagon... i think.. can't realy remember, but from what i heard, quite gutless

1 - 20 of 22 Posts