Toyota Nation Forum banner

61 - 80 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
I had a bad experience with the Felpro VC gasket and had to go OEM. The Felpro one got rock hard and brittle after a year. Shame because I like Felpro.

As for the mirror wiring, it sounds like the map light mirror has a constant 12v and ground, and the dimming mirror was ignition 12V because of the relay. You could wire it to the existing map light mirror 12v but the mirror would constantly be dimming on it's own without a relay. In your case it sounds like a relay is required.

Ground wires on Toyotas are usually white with black tracer.

·
Administrator
2006 Corolla XRS
9,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Finally completed the wiring of the auto dim mirror.

Initially, I tried to make it work with the factory wiring for the map light mirror. Did a bunch of research and couldn't figure out why it didn't work.

Decided to run new wires to the mirror.

Used the fuse Cig. Found out this controls the radio and carries ACC 12v. Used add a circuit instead of a T tap or soldering. Just finished it and it works great.

Now, no more blinding from cars and trucks following me.

Many thanks to @Vangm25, @jsean , and others.

·
Administrator
2006 Corolla XRS
9,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
I have been having rough shifts since 2018. The shifts were especially troubling in 2nd to 3rd, and 3rd to 2nd. Occasionally it would be hard to gate 1st.

The adventure began in 2018. Was on the hunt for something other than Redline MT-90. Went to NAPA, but they didn't sell it. So, I decided to give Royal Purple Sycromax gear oil a try.

Things that I noticed is that the shifts improved with the ambient temperature was around 70 degrees or 90 degrees Fahrenheit. In between the ranges, it would show up randomly.

After 30k miles, decided it was time to switch the fluid again. This time around, I chose to use Valvoline 75w90 GL4. When I drained out the RP, I was looking for yellow metal flakes, but none could be seen in the RP. Thank goodness.

I used 2 qts of the Valvoline and upon driving it yesterday, the shifts were still notchy and gating 2nd and 3rd were still rough. That was about 2 miles or driving. So, I thought that the 2 fluids were mixing and needed time for the new fluid to make its way through the transmission.

So far, I have put the transmission through it's paces. I didn't want to just drive it, I needed to get the fluid through the entire trans and put 20 miles to this point.

It feels way better than the last time I drove it. The ambient temperature was 97 degrees and will continue to rise throughout the day.

The plan is to drive another 1k miles then drain and refill. Goal is to remove as much of the RP as possible. I intend to replace the Valvoline with Redline MT-90 at some point, but time will tell.

All I can tell is that when I purchased the car in 2016, the shifts were good. I began noticing the more notchy feeling when I switched to the solid bushings. The owner indicated that they used Redline or Mobil1 synthetic 75w90 gear oil. At the time, I had my mechanic drain and refill the trans with Redline MT-90. The shifts improved, but was still notchy.

Is this the natural behavior of the C60 trans? I don't know. I will know in the next month or so. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
2005 Matrix XR
24 Posts
Glad to hear no yellow flakes. Are you unhappy with RPs performance? It will soon be in the upper 90s here in Texas. I was thinking of using RP as I am not able to locate any Redline MT-90 around here.

·
Administrator
2006 Corolla XRS
9,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
It's not that I wasn't happy with it. Just couldn't cure the notchy feel. There's also the rough gate going into 2nd and 3rd. 1st gear was occasional. My belief is that RP is dependent on temps as it's much thicker in viscosity when I compared it to Valvoline.

So far, Valvoline is working better. It will take time for now. I still have to remove more RP out of the trans.

You can buy MT-90 on Amazon or look on Redline's website for authorized retailers in your area.

·
Administrator
2006 Corolla XRS
9,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Performed a power steering flush. All went well until I got it back on the ground to test drive. Initially, it was noisy. It's a late hour for a test drive. Discovered that the fluid level was low.

Added more fluid and left cap off. Rotated about 6 times. Refilled and turned wheels another 6 times. Went for a drive and the noises are gone.

It was noisy due to being low on fluid in the system. Checked for leaks at the return line and didn't find any leaks. Checked the opposite side and it's dry too.

Waiting for the car to cool down to see if the fluid level drops below cold max. Will add if needed.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I did a combo of Valvoline synchromesh and redline MT90. It was recommended to help smooth out shifting on Monkeywrench's site. Put it in a bunch of years ago, a major improvement. In winter the car was almost impossible to get into 1st gear when the car was still cold. Now it's perfect. Getting a new diff put in and I have to run Cusco oil now. I haven't got the car back yet to see how it feels. Clutch diffs are all weird about fluid, you have to go with what they recommend otherwise they can stick.

Otherwise Motul makes a great synthetic oil that's supposed to be for FWD cars with clutch diffs, but you can't get it in the US.

·
Registered
36 Posts
As for headlights I used a 3m headlight polishing kit then sprayed with a UV protectant from meguirs I think. Uses a little pad and disks that work on a standard electric drill. Did it a few weeks ago. Worked great.

Attachments

·
Administrator
2006 Corolla XRS
9,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
I did a combo of Valvoline synchromesh and redline MT90. It was recommended to help smooth out shifting on Monkeywrench's site. Put it in a bunch of years ago, a major improvement. In winter the car was almost impossible to get into 1st gear when the car was still cold. Now it's perfect. Getting a new diff put in and I have to run Cusco oil now. I haven't got the car back yet to see how it feels. Clutch diffs are all weird about fluid, you have to go with what they recommend otherwise they can stick.

Otherwise Motul makes a great synthetic oil that's supposed to be for FWD cars with clutch diffs, but you can't get it in the US.
Thanks for this info. I saw that posted on MWR's site in the past. Other than the smooth throws, how was gear engagement? Whenever I grab for 2nd or 3rd gear, I feel a wall sometimes before it will drop into gear. Is this gone with the cocktail?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Eh, I never had a big problem unless it was cold. Once the car warmed up then it shifted better. In summer weather it was hardly a problem.

Check your shifter cable bushings. Maybe they're shot. New bushings are supposed to make a big difference in engagement, I'm assuming worn-out ones could cause some problems.

I got spherical bushings from twosrus.coim. They're supposed to be a bit smoother than bronze bushings from like speed source. I didn't put them in yet.

Otherwise start with that oil combo, can't hurt.

·
Administrator
2006 Corolla XRS
9,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
I am using solid bushings on the shifter shaft and on the shifter cage.

This issue started when I went to the solid bushings. It feels so much better since I drained out the RP. Valvoline is better. I noticed it's not as thick when compared to the RP. My suspicion is that as the Valvoline makes its way through the transmission, the lubrication will make it more slick rather than a clump of fluid meshing through the gears and synchros.

Ultimately between now and the end of the year, I will do several more drain and fills. The goal is to remove as much of RP possible. From here, not sure if I wanna go to MT90 or the cocktail.

We shall see.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I saw the recommended cocktail on monkeywrench racing. Of course after I already filled up with mt90 redline.

·
Administrator
2006 Corolla XRS
9,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
After about 200 miles, it feels much better. 2nd and 3rd have smoothed out. Very happy so far. No issues shifting on cold engine and trans. Warm startups are very smooth. It's not as dependent on temps and is smooth. I may just pull in the fluid drain early at 500 rather than the 1k plan. But will give it a few more miles.

·
Administrator
2006 Corolla XRS
9,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Tonight I have drained my transmission again. Have put 600 miles and could see the RP drain out. It smells nasty.

Thoughts to this point, the Valvoline is thinner compared to RP. Shifts are crisper, but still notice the resistance in the throws. But it has come down quite a bit.

I will update as the weeks go on. Trying to rid the RP as much as possible. Thinking it will need to be drained one more time to know for sure.

Still debating on RL MT90. We will see.

·
Administrator
2006 Corolla XRS
9,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Now I see the source of my troubles. Got a leak on my passenger side axle right at the bracket that attaches to the short block.

Guess the rough roads vibrated the axle seal and is starting to puke.

On another note, my repair on the fender liner failed. The duct tape didn't last long enough. Hopefully my clips will arrive soon.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Now I see the source of my troubles. Got a leak on my passenger side axle right at the bracket that attaches to the short block.

Guess the rough roads vibrated the axle seal and is starting to puke.

On another note, my repair on the fender liner failed. The duct tape didn't last long enough. Hopefully my clips will arrive soon.
Luckily the passenger side easier than the driver side !

61 - 80 of 96 Posts