Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
97 T100 v6 5pd 4x4, 06 Tundra v8 4x4
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I picked up a 1997 T100 4x4 5vz 5spd a few weeks ago that needs a lot of love. I will document the process of rehabilitating her here. I've already done a few things I failed to take pics of but will be mindful going forward.

The goal:
Restore the engine, brakes, suspension, drive train, etc to it's former glory. Restore the interior.
Repaint in Toyota Horizon Blue Metallic. Supercharge her.

More to come. Stay tuned.

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Automotive side marker light Car

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Week 1

The T had a p0420 according to my scangauge when I first brought it home. It was running like shit. The truck had decent power but it was rumbling bad and had some pulses in acceleration on the drive home.
So i ran some sea foam thru the fuel tank and the vacuum line to the upper intake manifold near the throttle body.
Then opened the tailgate plate to fix the handle. I'll eventually order the part. But for now the tail gate actually works. Then out of dumb luck I figured out the parking break wasn't setting because the handle needed to be spun a few times. It's worked ever since. I also changed the air filter.

Week 2

i took my T to AutoZone to have it scanned by their nice scanner. It showed a p0306, p0420, and a bunch of others. So I replaced the cylinder 6 spark plug, it's coil pack, the cyl 3 spark plug for good measure (because it shares power with cyl 6) and replaced all the wires, then reset the ECU by unbolting the negitive battery cable for ~30mins. The engine started running really smoothe. I do plan to replace.the remaining 4 plugs too. I just haven't done it yet.

Week 3

I installed Bilstein 4600 shocks front and rear with some help from a friend. Installed 2 fresh shifter bushings and a URD short throw shifter. The T no longer pops out of 1st gear, the throws are much better, and it's a little easier to shift. Not as easy as my 99 Ford Ranger was or my dad's 88 Honda Accord was to shift gears. I'm not sure if that's just a Toyota manual thing or what? Are they just harder to shift than most other manuals from that era?

Check engine light on again, p0450.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Plans for week 4 and 5:

Install new center carrier bearing.
Check instrument lighting fuse and replace fuse and/or bulbs if necessary. I've already ordered 6 red 194 mini wedge LEDs. It should pass safety inspection after that. So it'll be time to insure and register the T soon.
I'm probably going to ignore the p0450 for a while since the part can only be found at a dealership for $250 according to my father. And It shouldn't matter that I have a CEL since the truck was built in 08/96, so no Texas state emissions test required.

Once it's legal, I'll start focusing on fixing the door electronics. Passenger window switch is broken on passenger door and so are the locks on both doors. Once I have working locks, I'll order key fobs and install my spare pioneer touch screen.

Remaining future plans:

Fix the p0450. Install OBX headers and a new high flow muffler. I still might remove the cat. Not sure if it's necessary to address anymore. I'm going to investigate any leaks and maybe do a compression test for piece of mind. I also plan to get the driver seat either restuffed or replaced. That thing is sunken like the Titanic. The headlights will need to be replaced at some point. They're way yellow. I'm also planning to buy some Lexus GX470 17inch wheels and some 265/65r17 all terrains and a trailer hitch.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You should add manual locking hubs to your list of mods. Easy and cheap, and it'll save some wear on your front axles. T100 looks clean.
That Tundra looks like a beast. Are those rock sliders or running boards?
I don't plan on even using the 4wd on the T. But maybe down the road I'll do manual hubs. For now I just want to make it a peppy fun street truck for me to drive to work or around town every now and then. As well as make it a good hauler for my father to use when he needs a truck. The Tundra is my daily and my off roader. But eventually I'd like to make the Tundra a dedicated trail rig. Or at least split the DD duties between em. Those are Brute Force sliders that also function as steps and thanks for the compliment.

Wheel Tire Cloud Sky Vehicle
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Sky Cloud
Tire Car Cloud Sky Plant

·
1997 T-100 bought Sept`02
1997 T-100 DX X-cab
154 Posts
@because, I vaguely remember reading in the T's manual to use the 4WD for 10 miles each month! I could be mistaken tho!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm going to attempt the carrier bearing again today once a buy some longer 14mm wrenches. I'll also hit the dash lights since they arrived the other day. Might do the radio at the same time if I can fix the door locks. I have two spare radio harnesses from my Tundra, ones bound to be the right one. Plus the T has a crappy alpine tape deck now so I may be able to reuse it's harness if it was installed by a non-moron.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
So I didn't do the carrier bearing due to rain and I couldn't use the garage because it was occupied by another project.

So onto my dash lights.
I've already checked the fuse and taken apart everything. I noticed my gauge cluster has some missing twisties. I have a manual, a few I can read and seem to be for an automatic. But should they and/or the remaining others have twisties to complete the circuit?
Also is there a trick to getting the speedo cable back on? My tacos were fully electronic gauge clusters so I never had this issue before.
After more research I found out I should test the dimmer switch. I made a jumper from two male blade connectors and crimped em to about 3 inches of wire and plugged em into the harness that plugs into the dimmer. It connected the white and black stripe wire to the white and green stripe wire, while leaving out the green wire all together. And now the dash lights work. Now I just need to figure out how to re-attach the speedo cable.
Green Wheel Circuit component Tire Hardware programmer

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,837 Posts
I remember some talk about loosening some of the hold down fasteners or disconnecting them under the body or transmission to allow enough slack to work with. Don't fergit to reattach them. ;)

Reactions: 97tacomaHA

·
Registered
1995 Toyota T100 4X4
56 Posts
Are the black twistie connectors where the bulbs are at? I'd like to to see more pics if you got 'em. Wouldn't mind replacing the sickly green glow on my dash with something better, like red or amber. Does somebody have a list of all the bulbs a guy would need for this job? Would a guy need to use a soldering iron?

Regarding getting the speedo cable back on, when I replaced my cable, I was able to reach around the cluster and pop it back on without detaching the cable on the transfer case side. It was tight, doable. I think I pulled the plastic panel underneath the steering wheel, where the ball cooler vent sits. You could try looping some string around the cable to pull it onto the connector on the gauges. I thought about doing that, but didn't end up having to.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Are the black twistie connectors where the bulbs are at? I'd like to to see more pics if you got 'em. Wouldn't mind replacing the sickly green glow on my dash with something better, like red or amber. Does somebody have a list of all the bulbs a guy would need for this job? Would a guy need to use a soldering iron?

Regarding getting the speedo cable back on, when I replaced my cable, I was able to reach around the cluster and pop it back on without detaching the cable on the transfer case side. It was tight, doable. I think I pulled the plastic panel underneath the steering wheel, where the ball cooler vent sits. You could try looping some string around the cable to pull it onto the connector on the gauges. I thought about doing that, but didn't end up having to.
I think I can do it of I remove the bottom of dash. I left it hanging from the hood latch. I was too lazy to undo 2 screws lol.

The twisties hold the bulbs. The dash uses a combo of 194 and 74 bulbs. On LED speak o believe they're T10 and T5. They are the mini wedge type. I don't have more pics, but I can get some more before I reinstall everything. I did red. It used 3 194s and 2 74s just for the illumination. They're the grey twisties. The middle one requires you to remove a screw to get to it. A soldering iron shouldn't be necessary unless something were damaged maybe. I hope I answered all your questions. Feel free to ask more.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
I finally replaced the carrier bearing. It wasn't too hard the 3rd try lol.
How much was that part?
I briefly glanced at for my truck on the discount Toyota parts store and I believe I seen it going for 200$ !
😕
Not that 200$ is a big pain in the pocket, just add it onto the other 2000$ to $3000 of parts I have shelled out already or am looking into for the coming future replacing older than dirt parts on suspension

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How much was that part?
I briefly glanced at for my truck on the discount Toyota parts store and I believe I seen it going for 200$ !
😕
Not that 200$ is a big pain in the pocket, just add it onto the other 2000$ to $3000 of parts I have shelled out already or am looking into for the coming future replacing older than dirt parts on suspension
AutoZone had 3 different brands ranging from like $50-$70. The two cheaper ones has 1 yr warrantees. I got the most expensive because 3 yr warranty.

The job isn't bad as long as you have two good 14mm wrenches and can get enough leverage on the 4 bolts by the u-joints. I couldn't really get my breaker bars in there. It's tight. Also need a 24mm for inside the drive shaft. I used my impact for that and the 2 14mm bolts that hold the carrier bearing to the frame. I recommend a milk crate or 2nd set of hands to catch the drive shaft when it falls. It may take a rubber mallet smack to knock it loose.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts