Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Corolla XRS!
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just few weeks ago I went over a huge, unavoidable pothole on the 401 after attending the West End Meet. My heart was broken soon after I heard the huge bang sound...

So yesterday I brought my car for regular tire balance and rotation. My friend then found one of my rims has been bent (it was on the front too). The rotation wasn't off (15 & 15) and it was strange that I did not feel the vibration on the steering wheel for 2 weeks. The rim is bent in the inside, closer to the back.

I decided to call Tire Rack and see what if I can claim the warranty on the rim (knowing it's impossible, but tried anyway). The rep asked what happened and I told her the incident...Then, she put me on hold for 5 minutes and then came back to offer me a one time customer accommodation price ($100 off retail). I was soo happy...

·
TN Member
Prius
5,461 Posts
Wow... I've hit 3 potholes at highway speeds and I've yet to find my rims dented or cracked. I don't know if I'm lucky or if I just aren't looking closely enough. (or maybe cause I have more sidewall height???). I don't know but those 3 times were a hard shock into the cabin as if someone thing exploded in the cabin.

·
Vivir el momento
Corolla
18,784 Posts
It was definitely the sidewall height that prevented you from doing any damage to your wheels Tideland.

Lightweight aftermarket wheels paired with low-profile tires usually don't fare as well in this case.

You can't really compare the two.

·
Vivir el momento
Corolla
18,784 Posts
Wow! I'm surprised, even with 45-series tires you still managed to bend your rim?! :eek:

Agreed that they are pretty bad, I just got an alignment around the end of December and I have a feeling I'll need another one before summer rolls around :disappoin

Glad to hear that the Tire Rack was nice enough to offer you a discount, hope everything works out okay.

·
TN Member
Prius
5,461 Posts
It was definitely the sidewall height that prevented you from doing any damage to your wheels Tideland.

Lightweight aftermarket wheels paired with low-profile tires usually don't fare as well in this case.

You can't really compare the two.
Ahh ok. Eeeep! So those with 45 series tyres would be better served if they got 55 or 65 series winter tyres? (e.g. 205/55R16 or 195/65R15?? keeping similar rpm and speedo readout)

Mind's 215/45r17...Those potholes/craters are just horrendous...
Oye!

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Ahh ok. Eeeep! So those with 45 series tyres would be better served if they got 55 or 65 series winter tyres? (e.g. 205/55R16 or 195/65R15?? keeping similar rpm and speedo readout)
There is another reason that they recommend higher aspect ratio (e.g. going from a 45-series to 55- or 65-series) tire: with the higher ratio also comes a narrower tire (e.g. 215 millimetres at 45-series to 195 millimetres at 65-series). A narrower tire, with the narrower contact patch, does better in snow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts