Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my tranny just starting grinding in 2nd and 3rd. 2nd is worst than 3rd. is there anyway i can save my tranny or is it too late?

·
7MGTE/22RE
Turbo Supra
431 Posts
the first thing you should do is check the gear oil level. if it's low, fill it up! second, get some good Redline synthetic gear oil for it. surprisingly, that helps quite a bit with grinding. if even that doesn't work, it's probably time to get your synchros looked at.

-shaeff

·
Banned
2,353 Posts
yes and no. in our trucks you can use the exact same stuff in your rear diff as whats in your tranny ive used 80w 90 conventional gear lube in both my tranny and diffs with no problems.

the other type of tranny fluid is dexron mercron, the red stuff also known as automatic transmission fluid or "ATF" we dont use that stuff in out manual transmissions on our toyotas. in my 99 gmc sonoma with the new venture 5-sp manual transmission and on the old borg warner t-5's (one of the best trannies in my book) they used dexron mercron instead of gear dope. why? i dont know but it works fine just dont put gear dope in one with atf and vice versa.

·
YOTA Master
'93 2wd P/U
2,434 Posts
Actually I do use ATF in my transmission. I was using DexronIII/Mercon but now I am using Toyota type T-IV. The reason I started using it was to stop it from grinding when shifting into 2nd gear. Higher viscosity oil generally makes it harder to shift.

You should also make sure that your clutch releases properly. If there is a problem that causes your clutch to drag it will cause shifting issues.

·
YOTA Master
'93 2wd P/U
2,434 Posts
What is safe?

ATF is a very highly refined oil that handles the loads between gears in an auto trans.

over the years several manufacturers (incuding Toyota) have used ATF in manual transmissions on certain models. I don't think I'd use it if I was towing or if I was running substantially more power than was originally intended for a particular transmission.

·
7MGTE/22RE
Turbo Supra
431 Posts
use Redline MTL and be done with it. or Royal Purple. i don't recommend using ATF, but have no experience with it so i'll keep my mouth shut. (however, if it were good for our tranny's, wouldn't toyota have put it in there in the first place? i don't think it'll lubricate as well as a thicker oil, and eventually lead to transmission failure... but that's my opinion.)

-shaeff

·
7MGTE/22RE
Turbo Supra
431 Posts
i don't know. look in your owners manual, or in the linked repair manual at the top of this forum.

-shaeff

1 - 15 of 15 Posts