Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as some of you might know, I have been having some vibration issues from the rear of my truck. Well I put back on all my stock suspension and stock wheels and tires and still having issues. One thing I noticed was that my passenger side rear wheel sticks out about 1/2" - 3/4" more than the drivers side. Couldn't really tell if the bed was off a little or something else might be wrong. Either way, time to take it to the dealership to see whats wrong. :sosad:

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Another thing that I have noticed with my truck is that when I back up, than go into drive and start moving forward, I get this humming sound for about a second. Has anyone else heard this before?

·
Registered
707 Posts
Sounding more and more like an axle issue. Maybe the rearend housing shifted? That would take the driveline out of alignment causing the U-joints to bind giving you the vibration.

·
HANG UP AND DRIVE!!!
948 Posts
Have you been beating the truck doing any serious offroading? I agree, it does sound like a rear axle problem.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have not done anything that about 95% of other truck owners would do. I'll get it to the dealership today or tomorrow.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Could the humming noise you hear.....be the abs system kicking in. I know that when I take off in drive in the mornings, I get the hum of the abs system for about a second. Just wanted to throw that your way.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mossman said:
Could the humming noise you hear.....be the abs system kicking in. I know that when I take off in drive in the mornings, I get the hum of the abs system for about a second. Just wanted to throw that your way.
That might be it. I usually hear it in the morning, but sometimes later in the day after its parked for a while.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I got my truck back from the dealership yesterday. I found a little leak on the transmission output shaft and they replaced the seal. They said they looked over the whole drive line and could not find anything wrong. When I slow down at about 15mph my truck vibrates so bad that the plastic rattles inside the car. This is F'in annoying. Now I have to have a rep from Toyota come look at my truck to find out whats wrong :sosad:

·
Registered
707 Posts
Turtleboy said:
So I got my truck back from the dealership yesterday. I found a little leak on the transmission output shaft and they replaced the seal. They said they looked over the whole drive line and could not find anything wrong. When I slow down at about 15mph my truck vibrates so bad that the plastic rattles inside the car. This is F'in annoying. Now I have to have a rep from Toyota come look at my truck to find out whats wrong :sosad:
If your output shaft seal is leaking something is out of alignment that caused the seal to wear.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Silver-Bolt said:
If your output shaft seal is leaking something is out of alignment that caused the seal to wear.
The tech told me that the stuff leaking from the seal was just something that they coated on the outside of it to seal it a little better and the seal was not actually damaged.

I did take two techs for a ride and they had no idea what was causing the vibrations. Said my u-joints were good and the drive shaft was straight. We test drove a brand new truck and I could still feel the vibration in the new one, but it feels like it cushioned and whatever it is, is warn out on my truck.

The service manager called me today and said he will set up a appointment when the Toyota rep calls to let him know when he will be in town.

·
Registered
35 Posts
nachos615 said:
bent output shaft
Well,that sounds pretty close to the Suzuki Samurai story.Drive shaft was fu..d,disbalanced,made HARD vibr. , and i didn't see anything wrong from the outside...but when i took it apart!!!first thing to check is bearing in the middle of the driveshaft.If driveshaft has some free space to rattle with or inside of that bearing...here you go.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Turtleboy said:
Another thing that I have noticed with my truck is that when I back up, than go into drive and start moving forward, I get this humming sound for about a second. Has anyone else heard this before?
Turtleboy, Mossman was correct. That humm you hear is your ABS activating. I test drove quite a few Taco's before I bought one and they all did it. I even took it in to make sure it was not anything else. The tech that drove with has a Taco and said it's normal.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well today I wanted to fix my truck instead of go Christmas shopping and I think I just figured out what was wrong. I was looking at the carrier bearing and it looked like it might have been tightened down off to the side instead of the center. I centered it by eye and took it for a test spin and the vibrations were less. Gonna get some shopping done now and really see if its better.

Anyone wanna take a pic of their carrier bearing and post it up that has not had and issues with vibrations? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Turtleboy said:
Well today I wanted to fix my truck instead of go Christmas shopping and I think I just figured out what was wrong. I was looking at the carrier bearing and it looked like it might have been tightened down off to the side instead of the center. I centered it by eye and took it for a test spin and the vibrations were less. Gonna get some shopping done now and really see if its better.

Anyone wanna take a pic of their carrier bearing and post it up that has not had and issues with vibrations? Thanks!
Should ask for a pic of someones carrier with a stock suspension. So you can see how it looks compared to a lifted one

·
Registered
35 Posts
Turtleboy said:

Good thing about it - it's not to late!Another 500-700km. and the the bearing(+...) will have to be changed.It's not to complicated to fix now.But you have to level that bearing ASAP,because if you will drive a lot now,unleveled bearing will kill your joints on the driveshaft.The joints hates vibr.Plus it's no good for diff. and transfer case.People,sorry about my english writing,i'm still new person in english speaking world :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts