Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will do a thorough comparison against my older 2015 Camry SE and Camry XSE v6...let me know if theres anything specific you want me to check out, but ill assess : power, handling, nvh, interior, audio, etc.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Initial impressions : 1) wow, LED headlights are now standard on base model (finally a la Corolla), however do not seem as bright as 7th gen XSE v6 LEDs, but still.... 2) seating position feels very high (and im only barely nudging 6ft), even with seats at lowest position, however outward visbility is very good 3) Center dash stack reminds me a lot of the Avalons, and is usable however i keep grabbing the climate controls instead of the radios. 4) even though his is the softer Base LE model, drive has good on center feel with some unexpected weight to the steering wheel 5) power is adequate as im cruising along at 80mph, however i dont think 8 speeds is really necessary (or useful) and engine is kinda raspy with lackmof low end torque (but that might me used to a v6).....

·
Registered
21 Posts
One of my co-workers got a XSE with panoramic roof as a loaner from the dealership. I guess they really messed up and didn't have any other loaners. It even had the red interior.

I didn't get to drive it but she let me sit in it, and holy crap, that ceiling is low. I lowered the seat all the way, and still, head firmly planted in the roof. I backed the seat up, declined the seat, and I could fit but then it was a long way to the pedals and steering wheel. I doubt I could have touched the touch screen from there or even safely drive it. The steering wheel probably telescoped enough to reach.

I've looked at the documentation and didn't see anything about a difference with the panoramic roof in the interior height. It's probably roomier without it but I'm not certain of that.

It's kind of a tiny cabin too. It felt really cramped to me although the seat felt comfortable.

·
Registered
73 Posts
One of my co-workers got a XSE with panoramic roof as a loaner from the dealership. I guess they really messed up and didn't have any other loaners. It even had the red interior.

I didn't get to drive it but she let me sit in it, and holy crap, that ceiling is low. I lowered the seat all the way, and still, head firmly planted in the roof. I backed the seat up, declined the seat, and I could fit but then it was a long way to the pedals and steering wheel. I doubt I could have touched the touch screen from there or even safely drive it. The steering wheel probably telescoped enough to reach.

I've looked at the documentation and didn't see anything about a difference with the panoramic roof in the interior height. It's probably roomier without it but I'm not certain of that.

It's kind of a tiny cabin too. It felt really cramped to me although the seat felt comfortable.
I'm a big guy at 6'4" so find your observations of interest, may I ask how tall you are? Thanks for sharing this valuable perspective!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm only 6' but I have a long torso. If you are long-legged it might work for you. People question me all the time about this because they can fit in cars that I wouldn't want to own when they are taller than me.

Or, maybe the extra one-inch you gain without the moonroof might work too.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Is this a Lexus .......... no it's a CAMRY

:nerd:Holly whatever ....... I could not figure out if it was a new Lexus ES ...... or LS ..... and I am a Toyota/Lexus car buff.

So I went up to the proud new owners and it was a silver (to me since I am color blind) but actually a platinum XLE with the 203 HP I4 which was like SUPER OBVIOUS due to the single exhaust pipe. Note: the Nissan Altima S (base) 2.5L I4 has provided dual chrome tip exhausts for over ten years.

The new XLE I4 had 18 inch wheels ...... but of course it came with those worthless Bridgecrap Turanza tires..

Note also: The white 2018 LE rentals have nice 17 alloys without those bizarre balloon looking 205/65/16 S rated tires but they still feature that ugly single exhaust pipe that is not chrome tipped and looks like it came from a 1960's era plumbing supply store.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I'm a big guy at 6'4" so find your observations of interest, may I ask how tall you are? Thanks for sharing this valuable perspective!
I'm 6'2" but loved the driving position of the '18 Camry LE - one still has a commanding view of the hood and the road despite the 1 inch lower roof height and 1 inch lower seat position. The foam in the seats of the '18 is softer than on the '12-'17 Camry's so is more comfortable. The same softer foam is used in the rear seats so now I would enjoy napping there whereas on the '12-'17 Camry's the rear seat was too hard for napping.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I wanted to do a quick follow up on my earlier posts.

I went by the dealership and sat in a LE today. There was about an inch of space between my head and the roof. So, I'm guessing 1-1/2 to 2" more headroom without the panoramic moonroof. It's a tight fit but there's enough room that I could live with the car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Speaking of comparisons to 2015. I just took delivery of a 2018 XLE with no other options than all-weather floor mats and protection package - so it has the standard radio. There is no XM and no HD radio, both of which were included on my 2015 XLE with the standard radio. Also, the sound quality of the 2018 stereo is several notches below that of the 2015. And the graphical interface on the 2018 is horrible compared to the 2015. All this is a major disappointment, and had I done my homework and knew of the lack of HD radio and overall fidelity beforehand, I would not have traded my 2015 for the 2018. The 2018 radio is that bad.

·
Registered
970 Posts
The foam in the seats of the '18 is softer than on the '12-'17 Camry's so is more comfortable.
I need to revise that statement. Since I wrote it I have rented two 2018 SE's and overall I would rate the seat comfort as about the same as the '12-17 Camry's; i.e. it's OK, but not great. The seats are still too hard in the '18 for optimum comfort. So to make them more comfortable for longer trips I'd need to put a memory foam bath mat on top of them just like I do with the 7th generation Camrys.

·
Standard Rules Apply
39 Posts
Speaking of comparisons to 2015. I just took delivery of a 2018 XLE with no other options than all-weather floor mats and protection package - so it has the standard radio. There is no XM and no HD radio, both of which were included on my 2015 XLE with the standard radio. Also, the sound quality of the 2018 stereo is several notches below that of the 2015. And the graphical interface on the 2018 is horrible compared to the 2015. All this is a major disappointment, and had I done my homework and knew of the lack of HD radio and overall fidelity beforehand, I would not have traded my 2015 for the 2018.

The 2018 radio is that bad.
Good to know. Now I'm totally getting that AUDIO PACKAGE. 🤠

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've contacted two dealers about renting, using their online form. They are in the program but no response.

Car dealers are ridiculously bad about email (I'm assuming the form sends someone an email). Welcome to the 20th century boys and girls.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
8 Participants
deadduck
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing