Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ack! my trouble-free truck has suddenly developed an issue.

There's a high-pitched whistle sound coming from my engine -- near the bell housing. A mechanic friend of mine (GM, mostly) listened with a tube and told me it sounds like the pilot bearing.

I'm not even sure what that is, but he said he doesn't suspect the throwout bearing because the sound doesn't change when the clutch is depressed.

He told me I should ask someone who knows Toyotas, but I don't personally know anybody who does. Does this problem sound familiar to anybody? It's not the same as a screetching belt. it's a definite whistle, and it gets fairly loud at times.

If anybody has suggestions for a mechanic in Inland southern California (I'm in Riverside), please let me know.

thanks!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a similar problem to this, but I know mine is a throw out bearing because it stops when i push the clutch in. It is very possible that the pilot bearing is bad. it could also be the throwout bearing. If you are anywhere close to needing a new clutch it would be a good idea to replace both bearings.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my clutch seems fine, but there's no way I'd have the pilot bearing replaced without doing everything else at the same time.

Any idea what something like that would cost at a non-dealer mechanic? I'm going to have t checked out tomorrow and I'm afraid it's going to be some astronomical price.

·
Registered
91 4x4 extracab
608 Posts
if you don't do anything you risk wearing out your flywheel or input shaft on the transmission.if it is a constant roar i would do something it will only get worst.if too much play gets in the pilot hole you also risk a transmission front seal leak. if you replace it push some high temp wheel bearing grease in the pilot hole just a little enough so it can add a little lube to the input shaft just for this reason, you cant get to it after it is installed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts