Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Subaru BRZ
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today around 7:30 AM I tried to start the car (01, 5sfe). There was no crank at all. After a brief 'ka' sound, everything went quiet. No crank and not even any click.

The obvious culprit was a dead battery. But battery voltage was 12.49V. When I connect it to my Battery Tender charger, it showed that the charger was in storage mode. (Battery was good.)

So I left the charger on and used another car. Came back after 90 minutes. The charger was cold. (i.e., battery was good or completely dead.) But when I tried it again, it started right up. So the story is that I did not do anything and the car seemed to heal itself after 90 minutes.

There was a similar case 4 years ago. But that was around noon. The only similarity I can think of is water. 4 years ago, it happened after I washed the car. Today there was a huge amount of dew on the car. This may or may not be related. But that is all I know.

I have no clue about the cause. Can somebody give me some clue? Thanks a lot.

·
☻Black Member
1,423 Posts
IF your spark-plug wires are on the fritz any water, condensation, dew, rain, marginal moisture will conduct the high-voltage spark from the wires to ground (metal surface on the car's body) rather than across the sparkplug gap. This typically happens after a night of rain, early morning dew, carwash, etc. As the morning progresses the mosture evaporates and the plugs stop leaking thier spark and the car works normally again.

You get a 'no start' when this happens because you arent getting any spark at all.. however your starter will still crank over in this situation...

So it could be a starter on the fritz... in this case wack it with a hammer to see if that wakes it up and unsticks the brushes inside...

Other than that check for loose/corroded connections at the battery and the leads to the starter...

as always start simple first, then more complex... so check, connections, hit the starter, then wires...

:)

·
Registered
03 CAMRY XLE
3,244 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Rav4
5,764 Posts
if cleaning the nss doesn't fix it, then move onto rebuilding the starter. 10 bucks for copper contacts and a new plunger and 2 hours of work and it should be good to go. watch a few vids to get more educated.

pretty common for these denso starters to need a rebuild after a decade or so.
tony

·
Registered
2013 Subaru BRZ
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Now I know what to do next time when it acts up. Will report back.

·
Registered
Look in sig
9,188 Posts
Usually if the NSS is out of alignment or intermediate issue like this, try see if your car will start in NEUTRAL. Also, you could move the shifter from PARTK to LOW (L) and back up to park and see if it starts.

·
Registered
03 CAMRY XLE
3,244 Posts
One thing to do ... makes things work better ... get a can of electrical contact cleaner. Spray it on any electrical connection that you are working on. Any plug, Jack, battery terminal ... Things slide easier, and don't wind up with grease, oil, sand, or dirt on them. It takes an extra 10 or 15 seconds, but will be less effort in the long run.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.