Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
'95 Toy Pickup
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post. I am in the midst of a 24 month tune up. I had drained the radiator and engine block and ran water through both until it was clear. I noticed worn belts and removed the radiator to change them all. As I was removing the lower hoses a reddish oily substance came out of all 3 of them. Maybe a 1/2 cup in all, maybe less. The oily stuff came out before the rest of the coolant drained.

I have had no overheating problems, no sign of coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant, no oil loss problems (or coolant loss for that matter.) I repaired a head gasket leak around 20K miles and 2 years ago. The truck has run well since until recently when I began having hesitation problems and even stalling after running around town for a couple of hours.

Codes pulled were 13 and 22--the wire from the distributor to the ignitor was getting hot. All 4 plugs were sooty and the the inside of the throttle body was coated with black tarry stuff. Compression from front to back: 155, 150, 145, 140. Hmmmmmm.?. Head bolts have not been checked since the head job. The head gasket leak at that time was in the very back of the engine.
I replaced the fuel filter and will be replacing the O2 sensor, plugs, plug wires, cap, rotor and taping, re-routing and heat protecting the ignitor wire and testing my coolant temperature sensor and tps tomorrow, but...
The immediate question is WTF is that oily stuff coming out of the lower radiator hoses? It was mixed with coolant, seemed a little reddish and could have been AT fluid. Or not. Any ideas? Anything else I should check before flushing the radiator/block putting in new coolant, etc. While I still have everything apart?

Thanks in advance,

J1v4n:headbang:

·
Registered
Lndcrs, 4run, camry,
2,448 Posts
Do you have an auto tranny? And if so, have you checked to see if you have a strawberry milkshake on the dip stick?
Also, on the compression have you rechecked the valve lash yet?

·
Registered
'95 Toy Pickup
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My apologies. My initial post got "lost" and I forgot to put vehicle details in the replacement post. It's a 95 Hilux 22 RE automatic with AC built in Fremont -- a California truck that I bought and used to move to Santa Fe. The head gasket problem manifested as disappearing coolant--flashing off during combustion, never showing as an oil and water combination. After the top end rebuild I drove the truck the 2600 mile round trip to Sacramento about 7 times without any problems. A year ago I bought a 4X4 T-100 and the Hilux sat for about a year to save on insurance. I decided the T-100 was too much for everyday driving and started using the Hilux again this spring. Again, a 2600+ round trip to California with no problems. I have never seen any strawberry milkshake or any signs of coolant or oil contamination. I just finished changing the oil and filter and it was dark, but pure oil. I drained the coolant from the radiator drainage plug and from the engine block, then ordered all my parts and went away for a week. There was nothing but clear water coming out of the radiator drain plug or the engine drain when I left and I did not refill with either water or coolant while it sat in the New Mexico sun for 6 days. Of course the lower hoses are lower than both, so I never really got all the gunk out of them. When I started removing them I thought it was rusty coolant leaking in my face--then I felt the oiliness.

Checking the valves and all that is beyond my abilities and equipment on hand. My plan was to finish replacing what I can and then take it to my dependable mechanic to check the valves and head bolt torque, then time it correctly. Still wondering about the oily stuff that collected in the hoses. Is there an easy way to check if the AT cooler is leaking?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts