Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I have a misadventure to share. My 91 All-Trac needed a rear bumper cover, so I call up the place and order it. I then get called back that they don't have that one for $125 but they have another one they can sell me for $150. Alright, whatever, I need it. So I get a call the day I'm going to pick it up and the price has gone up to $180 as they just pulled the entire assembly, mounts, energy absorber, and all since it was easier. Well I might need the mounts anyway so alright, what is another $30.

I drive an hour to get there, pay and load it up. Mind you I just did a quick glance for damage and wanted to get going as I had places to be, was sick, and only there because I committed to picking it up that day. The mounts and everything looked the same so I didn't think much about it. All the time I've been assured it will be from a 91 Camry.

So I get it home and on the garage floor, I being to stare at it, and realize I over looked something. Everything about the bumper is the same EXCEPT for the length of the side panels :facepalm: So I now I need some help to figure out what the hell I have. I know it's a Toyota by the looks of things, and length/height wise it appears the same as the one on my Camry, plus it is the same shape in regards to the bevels, it's just the sides are short.

It doesn't look like anything from a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd gen Camry I've ever seen, and the only thing I can find that looked remotely close was the bumper for an AE86 Corolla GTS/SR5 but the color is wrong to have come from one of those, as I thought they only came in black, red, dark blue, and white. So any help is greatly appreciated. It looks longer in the first picture as it's not perfectly lined up with the one on the car and due to the angle I was at when I took the picture

·
Toyota Collector
12,163 Posts
Probably from a 1987-1988 Camry, which had the 3 piece bumpers instead of the one piece on the later models.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Probably from a 1987-1988 Camry, which had the 3 piece bumpers instead of the one piece on the later models.
Thnaks. So great, now this won't mount up will it all will it, since on the 91 the push in clips are right under the fender and it has the metal bolt on bracket towards the rear. It won't work, is worthless to joe public, and the bumper extensions I need to make it look right are nowhere to be found... what a train wreck :facepalm:

I guess the mods can move this to the 1st/2nd Camry forum since we know what it is then

·
Toyota Collector
12,163 Posts
Bumper is of no use to you, nope. The place you got it from wasn't paying attention or didn't care because the parts listing will clearly say which years are compatible.

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
9,093 Posts
So I have a misadventure to share. My 91 All-Trac needed a rear bumper cover, so I call up the place and order it. I then get called back that they don't have that one for $125 but they have another one they can sell me for $150. Alright, whatever, I need it. So I get a call the day I'm going to pick it up and the price has gone up to $180 as they just pulled the entire assembly, mounts, energy absorber, and all since it was easier. Well I might need the mounts anyway so alright, what is another $30.
You should have walked away right there. Bait and switch = strike 1, Bait and switch again = strike 2...

And I'm sorry, but you missed the fact that the cover had completely different sides than your current bumper?

-Charlie

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You should have walked away right there. Bait and switch = strike 1, Bait and switch again = strike 2...

And I'm sorry, but you missed the fact that the cover had completely different sides than your current bumper?

-Charlie
Well I wasn't happy about the first price increase as the only other place that had one was 90 minutes away and wanted $50 more. I ordered it with a two day lead time, and I didn't find out about them pulling the entire assembly instead of the cover and the $30 increase until I was already on my way there (even though I had called prior to leaving to make sure it would be ready and was told it was). And no, I didn't because I had committed to picking it up that day, and went despite being sick (strike 1), knowing I had somewhere else to be (strike 2), and had a family member come along to help (lot of good that was) who sprung on me at the last minute they had a stop to make (strike 3). I was in a rush, everything else looked identical, and I never knew the part was different so I loaded it up without thinking to look at the sides. Trust me, I'm not happy about having a $180 paper weight because I was too stupid/in a hurry and over looked it :rolleyes:

So today I ordered the one 90 minutes away... and I got it for a cheaper price than I was originally quoted :facepalm: Of course that turned into a fiasco too; I left with enough time to get there 30 minutes before closing and thanks to a combination of a traffic accident and then a block party/religious ceremony/flash mob/whatever in the city I had to go through, had my GPS putting me there 2 minutes after the place closed, so I called them while I was still about 10 miles out and asked (since I had already paid a deposit for the parts over the phone so they could be pulled) if there was anyway someone could be there another 10 minutes, and even went as far to tell them to go ahead and charge the rest of the amount I owed right then so I would just need to sign for them and load them up. Well the answer was no, come back tomorrow. So a 3 hour round trip for nothing thanks to a horrible run of bad luck on the road and I get to do it again tomorrow!

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Probably been posted elsewhere, but I wanted to leave a few tips for anyone who stumbles across this, and needs to fit a cover onto their rusty All-Trac bumper.

1. If/when you break off the nuts on the bottom reinforcing bar, don't panic. I'll edit this post when I get the bit size I used, but I just drilled them out, and tapped it for a 5/16"-18 bolt. This and a washer goes right fine, just don't go too tight if you're missing the reinforcing bar (likely) as this will deform the plastic a bit on the bottom

2. If/when you break off the bolts and studs on the bar that fits between the cover and energy absorber, and holds the top of the cover to the bumper, also don't panic. This fix is even easier. Just get some 5/16"-18 speed nuts, and slip them onto the lip on the cover, with the flat part facing out and the nut/bump facing the energy absorber. They will be tight and may require some side to side adjustment, but this is a quick and easy replacement for the damaged/rusted out bar.

If one of the tabs on the cover is broken, you can just use a roughly 5/16th machine bolt/screw and go right into the foam energy absorber. I would not go over 1-1/4" or you might dimple the bumper. This really only helps pull the bumper cover into the bumper so some other bolt holes line up and I would not do this for more than one or two bolts as it's not holding much in place, but is a help if you can't get the speed nut on a broken tab.

3. Also treat your bumper with POR15 or the rust proofing agent of your choice before cover installation and prime it. If you have some small holes something like Devcon 10220 Plastic Steel will help repair them, just be warned it is NASTY, industrial stuff and should be handled with extreme care, plus requires grinding to get it off whatever you get it on, just put it over some some bondo metal mesh will help, also consider reinforcing severe rust with this same compound. Obviously, if you can, source a new bumper! But if you can't (likely) and the damage isn't too bad (we're talking no more than a nickel to quarter sized hole here or there in the main structure; if any of the mounting points are damaged, the assembly needs replaced or perhaps new metal welded in) this should help get you through it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.