Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I have been thinking about putting the non-turbo cams in my 89 turbo. It is said to gain 30 horsepower. But I thought maybe I should research this a little more before I do anything. Do you think there is any downfalls to doing this? Last thing I want to do is hurt my baby. Any info. you could tell me would be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
A 30hp gain is news to me. I doubt you'll get that much. Apparently the stock turbo cams have no overlap [beneficial in turbo setups] whereas the NAs do. I'm no expert on cams, though.

·
Got Hardass?
2,959 Posts
IIRC the intake cams are the same, so there's obviously no gain there. The exhaust cam is the one everybody swaps. It's said to gain power, but the only dyno to prove it was not a trusted one. Yes, it gains power, but not 30hp.

·
Registered
68 Posts
My friend is having his 7MGTE built by Toysport right now, and they're using reground NA cams. I don't know the details, but those guys know their stuff.

·
Registered
11 Posts
heh, toysport, one of my friends works there. they got some pretty neat stuff up in there, the 2jz-gte gs300, the 2jz mkIII supra, 'n of course that trd widebodied mkiv.

-tim

·
Got Hardass?
2,959 Posts
Reground N/A Cams aren't quite N/A Cams now are they? Most regrinds for power typically end up being HKS Clones, or a few other variants.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Jeeves said:
Reground N/A Cams aren't quite N/A Cams now are they? Most regrinds for power typically end up being HKS Clones, or a few other variants.
Just thought I'd throw that out there. :dunno:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts