Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
'05 Camry SE
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My parents' old Civic is dying and they've asked me to help them find a used car that's inexpensive and reliable. I'm searching cars.com for 2014+ Corollas and was wondering, what I should look for, given the fact they want to keep it cheap, simple, and reliable?

Are there no traditional automatic transmissions available for 2014+? I noticed the L trim has a regular transmission, but only in manual; all other trims are CVTs.

How do the CVT's reliability and maintenance cost compare to traditional automatic transmissions? I'm very familiar with the auto tranny on an '05 Camry SE?

Should I also be considering other Generation Corollas? If so, what years? They haven't given me a max price, but I figure it'll be between $10K-$15K.

I'll also search Civics, and possibly Honda Fits, and Scion XBs.

Thanks for any assistance!

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
The "L" also have the option of traditional 4AT. The "L" is the basic version (no back-up camera, for instance) and the CVT is much smoother and efficient.

Because of mishaps in some (not all) CVTs from competition people are a little afraid but so far the Toyota/Aisin in the Corolla has a clean record (after 3 years in NA, 5 years elsewhere, and 16 years of other models. No trend/surge in complaints. The fake shift points make it feel almost like a regular automatic. Cost of replacement is going down as more and more are on the road. Fluid cost a bit more. Manual recommends a fluid check every 30K (that's not checking level but the state of the fluid, using special procedure/equipment, and changing if then needed).

Older Corolla's might be great but a bit less spacious and quiet then the more recent ones.

·
Registered
'05 Camry SE
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The "L" also have the option of traditional 4AT. The "L" is the basic version (no back-up camera, for instance) and the CVT is much smoother and efficient.

Because of mishaps in some (not all) CVTs from competition people are a little afraid but so far the Toyota/Aisin in the Corolla has a clean record (after 3 years in NA, 5 years elsewhere, and 16 years of other models. No trend/surge in complaints. The fake shift points make it feel almost like a regular automatic. Cost of replacement is going down as more and more are on the road. Fluid cost a bit more. Manual recommends a fluid check every 30K (that's not checking level but the state of the fluid, using special procedure/equipment, and changing if then needed).

Older Corolla's might be great but a bit less spacious and quiet then the more recent ones.
Between this Gen11 and the Gen10 (2006-2012), would say they're equally reliable or has one had a better track record than the other, given the same age?

Thanks again

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Between this Gen11 and the Gen10 (2006-2012), would say they're equally reliable or has one had a better track record than the other, given the same age?
Thanks again
According to True Delta and CR, they are about the same (excellent).
But that doesn't mean that there is no "odd black sheep" out there, especially if you don't know the history of the specific used model you buy.
Actually, beside the quite noticeable change in looks, equipment dotation (CVT, back up camera, wonderful LED headlights) and a slightly extended frame, 11th and 10th gen are basically the same car mechanically.

·
Registered
'05 Camry SE
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again jolly!

Do you, or anyone else reading this, have any opinions on how a 2014 Corolla compares to a 2014 Civic? I prefer the looks of the Corolla, and I drive a 2005 Camry SE, but they've owned two or three Civics and so I've been researching those too.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Thanks again jolly!

Do you, or anyone else reading this, have any opinions on how a 2014 Corolla compares to a 2014 Civic? I prefer the looks of the Corolla, and I drive a 2005 Camry SE, but they've owned two or three Civics and so I've been researching those too. Cheers
I bought my LE Eco at the end of 2013 (the first one sold by the dealer !). Also test drove the Civic at the time (almost the "default" choice in Canada).
Much too cramped for me (my head was almost touching the roof even with the seat on the lower position - and boy was that really low. Also noticeably noisier.
The two tier dash of the Civic has its advantages, though.

Despite the traditional beam axle of the Corolla, I personally found the ride a bit more comfortable yet almost as composed as the Civic (at least for my conservative driving style).
As far as MPG, both cars were well rated but my Corolla surpasses it in real life (again, rather conservative driving style). I don't know about the Civic.

I have to say that my choice was also influenced by the lower price of the Corolla for same equipment... and two friends that have had a similar issue with the auto trans of past Civic.

·
Registered
'05 Camry SE
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I understand. They're both conservative drivers, to say the least. Internet prices here are favoring the Honda, and my parents may as well, due to familiarity with the controls, symbols, etc. With that said, since we're considering used vehicles, it'll come down to the specifics of the samples we'll be viewing. Personally, today, if it were for me, I'd be looking a Mazda 3 or 6, but that's more "enthusiasm", and money, than they're looking for. :)

Cheers

·
straight cash homie
22,870 Posts
I would go and look at both Civics and Corollas and whatever else they have on the Toyonda lot...With used, a lot of it comes down how each vehicle is priced and if they have any CPO warranties and what not. If buying new, I would prefer the new 2016 Civic, but used, I would go with the 2014-16 Corolla; I own a 2009 and the interior of the current generation is much better, since Toyota really cost cut in this department on the 09-13s.

Prices on both new and used passenger cars right now are depressed right now (because the trend favors SUVs), so prices favor the buyer at the moment. I'm with you that I would probably prefer a more enthusiastic vehicle like a Mazda 3, but the Corolla and Civic fits the bill for your folks with their more subtle ride. For the price range they gave you, you can find plenty of used Camrys as well.

·
Registered
'05 Camry SE
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
got-rice, when you say "cpo", does it means it's a manufacturer extended warranty, or does it simply mean the dealership has gone over the car and warrants it for a specified number of days?

Thanks

·
Diehard Rams Fan
23,339 Posts

Thanks again
Both the 10th Gen and 11th gen are excellent when it come to reliability. You have the years off, the 10th gen though is from 2009-13 in NA and the 11th gen runs from 2014 to current. The 9th gen runs from 2003-08. You can never go wrong with a Corolla. I love my 09 S but I'll always get a manual trans over an AT or CVT.

·
Registered
'05 Camry SE
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Though they can, the parents are too old to be worrying about shifting manually.

·
Registered
2015 Corolla s
801 Posts
My parents' old Civic is dying and they've asked me to help them find a used car that's inexpensive and reliable. I'm searching cars.com for 2014+ Corollas and was wondering, what I should look for, given the fact they want to keep it cheap, simple, and reliable?

Are there no traditional automatic transmissions available for 2014+? I noticed the L trim has a regular transmission, but only in manual; all other trims are CVTs.

How do the CVT's reliability and maintenance cost compare to traditional automatic transmissions? I'm very familiar with the auto tranny on an '05 Camry SE?

Should I also be considering other Generation Corollas? If so, what years? They haven't given me a max price, but I figure it'll be between $10K-$15K.

I'll also search Civics, and possibly Honda Fits, and Scion XBs.

Thanks for any assistance!
CVT,s, have a better fuel consumption ove the 4 speed automatic and 6 speed manual Trany.
CE 4A (8.6/6.5); S 6M (8.3/6.2); S LE CVT (7.9/6.1); LE CVT ; LE ECO CVT (7.7/5.6)

Over the years CVT have pass to CVT,s they have better reability.

Finnaly CVT and CVT,s trany was fist built for Lexus high end toyota vehicules, reability have been proven.

·
Registered
'05 Camry SE
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just bought a 2016 LE with 4000mi. for $14K. I couldn't find anything wrong with it and the carfax is clean, even though we all know it doesn't tell the whole story. Planning on having it inspected over the next couple of days. It seems almost too good to be true; that price for the region where I live, is pretty darn good.

It's white, with a gray interior, has a backup camera and heated mirrors. The only thing missing is a GPS. Is GPS an option on LEs?

Also, are are the license plate screw size for the front plate? There were bolts in the back frame, but nothing up front.

I was pleasantly surprised to find manual seat adjustments, which I've always preferred for being simple and light. Even came with some floor mats, though I don't know if they're original.

Cheers

·
straight cash homie
22,870 Posts
Just bought a 2016 LE with 4000mi. for $14K. I couldn't find anything wrong with it and the carfax is clean, even though we all know it doesn't tell the whole story. Planning on having it inspected over the next couple of days. It seems almost too good to be true; that price for the region where I live, is pretty darn good.

It's white, with a gray interior, has a backup camera and heated mirrors. The only thing missing is a GPS. Is GPS an option on LEs?

Also, are are the license plate screw size for the front plate? There were bolts in the back frame, but nothing up front.

I was pleasantly surprised to find manual seat adjustments, which I've always preferred for being simple and light. Even came with some floor mats, though I don't know if they're original.

Cheers
CPO is factory certified in which the car is warrantied an additional few years beyond the original warranty. You got a decent deal. I wonder how much a brand new LE cost, but under $15K for a current year Corolla isn't bad.

As for Nav, it is available on higher grade models (LE Premium, not sure if LE Plus has it optional).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.