Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a 1991 automatic NA MR2, and after driveing it I have to say I absolutely love the feel and handeling of the car, however there extreamly rare around here. So finding a turbo would be about impossible.

Reguardless, the only complaint I have is that the car while "peppy" isn't quite what I was hopeing for.

So my question being is there any bolt on mods you can do to the engine that will boost up the HP enough to make a quite noticeable kick in the pants?

A speedy reply would greatly be apresheated.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
auto NA......save ur money if u want a fast car...u will be continually disappointed with the lack of power....everyone will be able to beat you....if ur gonna buy the car....keep it as is..theres is so little aftermarket support available for the NA (5SFE)....ur best option would be to do a turbo swap but it will be costly because u will have to do the auto to manual swap also....i read in the other post that ur coming from a DSM background...why not just keep that car too.....and get the mr2 just for cruising around in.....do some reading around and u'll see how many others have asked about the 3SGTE swap....tons of info available...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I did plan on keeping the DSM, I love that car and the only way im getting rid of it is if I total it.

But DAMN this thing handels just... wow. I never even got on it really as the owner was in the car and it was on rails. It did seem to pull quickly looking at the speedo though, just didn't "feel" it unless it was shifting, I was suprised to see if shift so low and high in the rpm band when I went to WOT though.

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
any car always feels "faster" when your not driving it.....if ur so impressed with an NA auto...wait til u get to sit in or drive a turbo.....;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats exactly what I was thinking "wow, if this is a NA auto, I wonder what the GTS is like"

I have a new realistic dream car :thumbup: I doubt i'll find a turbo in this good of shape and for a price I can afford though. :( So it's more like just taunting me makeing me lust for something I would have to sacrofice more than im willing to obtaine.

·
400whp club here I come!!
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
Just be patient... don't rush things like I did. Keep checking http://mr2oc.com in the for sale section... and autotrader. One is bound to pop up within a month or so in your area.

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
You can do P&P, high CR piston. It won't be fastest car around but it'll be fun to drive. I have a Celica GTS Auto and rebuilding the engine with P&P. I should have result in a month.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Could the stock engine stand say a 50-75 shot of N2o? that plus intake exhaust would be enough to make me happy.

^ Also I ment reliably

·
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
Unless you are an NA freak.... you probably won't be happy unless you do the 3sgte swap. Header, exhaust, intake.... its all available... but once all is said and done... I don't think anyone has gotten an NA over 200rwhp w/o n2o. There are a few MR2's out there that spray though... remember .... this is a Camry motor. :p:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Hmm... well I would say your right then.

Guess i'll try to forget about the lil red NA :(

Besides I have my DSM untill I find a turbo MR2, or 91-93 240sx.

The 240 isn't compairable to the MR2 ofcorse, but why would anyone want a 240. You know.... yea thats why I want one.:p: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
You can get close to 200HP on crank without touching the block. P&P, cam high CR piston and some fuel management. It'll for sure cost more then a turbo setup.
My Porter say his P&P work worth 20% gain. I'll see if he lies :p: It means I'll get 156HP. Probably around 160 with a header and intake.
I don't remember if its 10HP per each compression point (8:1 to 9:1).
Probably need the GE head to get close to 200HP NA.

·
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
I'm talking wheel hp. Sure 200 crank is attainable... but the 3sgte has more than that stock... so why bother :p:

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
^^i will have to convert u next year by taking u for a ride and letting u experience what boost in an mr2 feels like.....

·
Registered
146 Posts
haha...MRQ said it right. :) AMEN to that! forreals. nothing feels quite like the pull the 3S-GTE can give from 3500 to the redline. especially not the 5S-FE (no offense to any 5S owners or enthusiasts). just wait and the right Two turbo will come along.

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
^^even if u ran really high comp pistons...do some major head work....whats the most power u could get out of it...200 at the crank??....what does ur celi weigh in at??.....power to weight ratio would still be dismal....theres no comparing the two IMO.....

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
I know the 2 will be faster, even with same power. I don't need it that fast, yet :p:
I'll say around 170-180 at crank with high CR piston. Unless I go 13 or 14:1 but I believe its way too high even for 94 octane. Don't think the FE head could get pass 200.
I think the Celica weight in around 2600lb crab.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts