Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about buying a MKII MR2 NA and getting a JDM Turbo motor to swap. What all do i need beside the Motor tranny, ecu, wiring harness and exhaust?

Thanks

·
Registered
1991 MR2 turbo
69 Posts
The axles are different. The radiator on the NA is smaller. I accomplished the full swap, but it took getting a wrecked turbo and swapping all the wiring from the headlights to the taillights. This is a HUGE undertaking. Also because I used '91 turbo wiring the JDM ECU would not work. Do not expect the swap to be easy or cheap. Good luck.

·
Registered
1991 MR2 turbo
69 Posts
I thought of another problem...the assembly that holds the throtle cable (it mounts next to the intercooler) is slightly different. I didn't notice this until it had almost rubbed all the way through my intercooler (bad). Also the 3sgte weighs about 300lbs more than the 5sfe and it made me notice how badly I needed new shocks. I do admit, the car is amazing with the 3sgte over the NA.

·
victor91mr2
91/93 MR2 sw21 turbo
137 Posts
JUST BUY A REAR CLIP. i recently completed the NA to Turbo swap with no problems everything goes in perfectly but it took me almost 3 months to complete the swap.

·
victor91mr2
91/93 MR2 sw21 turbo
137 Posts
the USDM shift linkage from the NA MR2 will not work with the JDM trans. u must use the Turbo JDM linkage. US linkage will not allow u to go into 5th and reverse, i just had this problem yesterday i have done the swap, have any of u guys done this swap to be able to actually tell people what works and what doesnt?

·
400whp club here I come!!
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
I don't know why people are saying this is a difficult swap. I have never heard anyone say that until now. If you buy a rear clip or a half cut... you will be fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts