Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Toyota Camry LE
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally said screw it and pulled the engine on my 2002 LE. It had 90,000 miles on it and that alone was the perfect excuse for the wife. The lobes on the exhaust cam were under Toyota guidelines, as well as the timing chain, but other than that, engine didn't look a day over 25,000. So I decided on just a head/valve job & cleaning. This was this last weekend to get on track with the time....

Since then, I am now rebuilding the entire engine from the ground up. Originally, wanted to go turbo, but did the pros & cons, and opted for this setup. 11:1 Compression, Flat top JE pistons (Coated), titanium guides, rods (Coated), ported & polished, over sized exh. valves, springs, lifters, fuel system & a ECU Reprogram. The car already has intake & exhaust done. Were estimating around 250 to 275+ hp.

I will keep everyone posted...

·
Registered
320 Posts
pistons and valves wont give you that hp alone. You need to look at a port n polish, and find someone to do some cams. Yours has the same 4 banger as teh tc right ? Maybe see what cams ahve been tested on some tc forums.

gl! :)

·
Registered
320 Posts
Buurin said:
If you can get a factory Toyota ECU reprogrammed we'd all be very interested. They're notoriously hard to crack.
Aye.. they are :(

Look at the emanage ultimate or megasquirt systems.

·
That Acura Guy
2,383 Posts
That should be a good project at first I thought you were tuning a V6. Doing all the work to the 2AZ will give you all that power..?:eek::rolleyes:

·
Registered
2002 Toyota Camry LE
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I mentioned in the original thread that the heads are being ported & polished. Also the cams are being sent out to be hard-welded and then re-ground, (the joy of owning a Camry means no performance parts). The ECU is being sent to jet chips once I have all of the specifics. Trust me... I hate the fact that I can not get a "total control" program for the computer.

I believe I checked Emanage & Megasquirt for systems but nothing for the Camry.

I'll keep ya updated.

·
"I BUILD SLEEPERS"
2014 4Runner TEP
2,558 Posts
275 horsepower all motor with just a 11:0 compression. Stock cams, not even a regrind ... What the 2az makes what 160hp ... Your looking for a 100hp with all that on a stock cams, stock lift, and a stock redline... Kinda hard to believe... Unless your squeezing another 70shot of horsepower...

·
Registered
2002 Toyota Camry LE
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Are people not reading the threads? There is new cams, computer, rods, retainers, flat top pistons (all of which are coated), valves, springs, lifters, ported & polished, block milled and bored (as well as balanced & blueprinted). I am pretty sure I didn't forget anything, but let me know of any ideas.

·
"I BUILD SLEEPERS"
2014 4Runner TEP
2,558 Posts
Mid Life Crisis said:
Are people not reading the threads? There is new cams, computer, rods, retainers, flat top pistons (all of which are coated), valves, springs, lifters, ported & polished, block milled and bored (as well as balanced & blueprinted). I am pretty sure I didn't forget anything, but let me know of any ideas.

Um you read your post again there bro ...
Mid Life Crisis said:
Well I finally said screw it and pulled the engine on my 2002 LE. It had 90,000 miles on it and that alone was the perfect excuse for the wife. The lobes on the exhaust cam were under Toyota guidelines, as well as the timing chain, but other than that, engine didn't look a day over 25,000. So I decided on just a head/valve job & cleaning. This was this last weekend to get on track with the time....

Since then, I am now rebuilding the entire engine from the ground up. Originally, wanted to go turbo, but did the pros & cons, and opted for this setup. 11:1 Compression, Flat top JE pistons (Coated), titanium guides, rods (Coated), ported & polished, over sized exh. valves, springs, lifters, fuel system & a ECU Reprogram. The car already has intake & exhaust done. Were estimating around 250 to 275+ hp.

I will keep everyone posted...
no where do you say new cams... the only thing you mention about cams are they are under Toyota guidlines... So what cams and how much lift ??? And whats stock lift ???

but either way I highly doubt you'll hit that goal ... building the motor even with cams will get you no more that 30 to 40 hp at the flywheel even a perfect tune... Even then you'll lose your VVT-i ...

·
Camry Gen5er
2002 Camry LE I4
242 Posts
man, how much does this all cost?

·
Old fogey
1,429 Posts
I'm not sure 11:1 is going to cut it here for your goal... maybe if you went for even higher compression with the help of methanol or water injection.

·
Registered
2002 Toyota Camry LE
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
my bad on not mentioning the cams....

There are a lot of smaller details that i haven't mentioned as well. The shop doing the machine work is very well know here locally, and he feels pretty confident on the HP's. Personally I think it would be around 250.

As for the stand alone, the more control I can get the better, I just am having a hard time finding something for the Camry. Does anyone know if the Emanage Ultimate will be compatible? They claim a "large abundance of JDM applications" but how can I be sure?

As for the cost.... don't ask. It's still lofty even with myself doing the re-build.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Mid Life Crisis said:
I mentioned in the original thread that the heads are being ported & polished. Also the cams are being sent out to be hard-welded and then re-ground, (the joy of owning a Camry means no performance parts). The ECU is being sent to jet chips once I have all of the specifics. Trust me... I hate the fact that I can not get a "total control" program for the computer.

I believe I checked Emanage & Megasquirt for systems but nothing for the Camry.

I'll keep ya updated.
I dont know about this on the emanage, but the megasquirt pigybacks and controls like everything.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Double checked Megasquirts site for you. It is kind of an ultimate piggyback. It controls Fuel/Spark, Timing.

Also from Gereddy: It is a piggyback ecu. It however does EVERYTHING as well, and you will have an easier time finding someoen who will tune it for you.

Greddy said:
deal for optimizing and fine-tuning performance products such as; Exhaust, Air Intake, Intercoolers, Boost Controllers and Turbo upgrades, the e-manage Ultimate does it better than any other system on the market. The GReddy e-manage Ultimate does what no other piggyback ECU can, engineered to preserve the best features of the original e-manage (Economically priced, there is no need for tuning from scratch and it is compatible with most Japanese performance vehicles). Some of the new Ultimate features include; add and subtract fuel and ignition maps, a two-preset memory, A/F Target Map (for self tuning), built-in adapters and correction maps, and extensive data logging with Map Tracing for easier tuning. The new e-manage Ultimate includes the Support Tool CD to access all features from a standard USB cable.
It wires into the harness like the other good systems as well.

·
VeeZed
1988 Toyota Camry V6
2,298 Posts
Over 100bhp per litre naturally aspirated eh? .. hmm.. let me know how you go. ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts