Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, had a question.
My CAMRY Hybrid XLE did not come with factory navigation, however the head unit has a dedicated “map” button. Can the nav be flashed after the fact, or is it headunit dependent?

·
8,164 Posts
1. it's called cell phone. Beats any stand alone or built in navigation by a mile. None of them commonly used ones, like Waze or Google maps, are data hogs.
2. You likely can connect your phone to the display via Entune or whatever that new Toyota digital thing is. My truck came without nav and I can do that. Except that I tried it and, as clunky as it is - back to cell and BT voice over guidance.

·
Camry Freak
Camry & Accord
1,802 Posts
OEM nav systems are, in general, pretty horrible things. As ukrkoz said, Google Maps or Apple Maps will do a much better job of providing navigation. Plus, they are usually a lot more current than OEM systems. I'm not sure if your Camry has Apple Carplay or not (2019 models have it, 2018 models don't)... but if you have a 2019 and use an iPhone then just use the navigation on your phone using Carplay. It will be way better than Toyota's system.

·
Registered
2016 VW Tiguan SE 4Motion (APR Stage 1, Neuspeed P-flow/wheels)
169 Posts
Ask your dealership is see if the your radio can be upgraded to the 2020 version with Apple Carpay & Android Auto.

Before 2020, iirc, you have to download the "Scout GPS" app on your phone to be used as Toyota's nav system

·
2014 VW Passat Tsi SEL
1,150 Posts
Hey all, had a question.
My CAMRY Hybrid XLE did not come with factory navigation, however the head unit has a dedicated “map” button. Can the nav be flashed after the fact, or is it headunit dependent?
What year is your car? I just read the 2019 Camry line was supposed to come with CarPlay standard. If so you are in business if you have an iPhone.
If it's a 2018 you may be able to get it added to your factory unit from Toyota.
If not, just using your phone in a cradle with Waze or Google Maps is still good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts