Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Toyota Corolla S w/ Tech Package (Canada)
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This afternoon running an errand I had the strangest thing happen, it took me a good 5-10 minutes to notice it had happened. While driving the radio stopped playing (was listening to standard FM), when I realized this, I then saw that my navigation map had also froze. The touch screen, buttons, and steering wheel controls were unresponsive. I could not even engage voice commands. The radio, navigation and phone functions were not functioning.

Once I was home, I turned the car off and restarted it. This time the radio turned on and the phone reconnected, however the navigation was frozen, showing my location to where I was when the unit froze.

I've since been home for 5 hours, just returned to my car to start it hoping the issue resolved itself, however no such luck. I get the same as I did when I restarted the vehicle when I had arrived home.

I have done some searching on the internet and these forums. While I did not find anything specific to the Corolla, I do see a number of issues being discussed for other Toyota vehicles using Entune.

I have a 2015 Corolla S with the Technology package, and here in Canada we don't have the "Entune" features you have in the US. Though given some other uses success in purchasing Canadian head units and installing it in a US vehicle, it is clear the head units are 100% the same once it is connected to the Entune app through your phone.

In the threads I had found, the common theme seemed to be the head unit needing replacement. I'll be reaching out to the dealership which I purchased the vehicle from to see if they have any experience with these issues and hope I can get it addressed under warranty.

Just curious if others have had this issue or not with their Corolla.

In nearly 2 years of ownership this is the first issue I have had with this vehicle. The vehicle is also 100% the same as it was when I drove it off the lot, except for the accident (rear ended) I was in nearly a year ago.

·
Registered
11th gen Corolla LE
22 Posts
Try and disconnect your battery for a few hours. After that see if your nav system returns to normal. Have you checked if you have the latest Entune update?

·
Registered
2015 Corolla s
801 Posts
This afternoon running an errand I had the strangest thing happen, it took me a good 5-10 minutes to notice it had happened. While driving the radio stopped playing (was listening to standard FM), when I realized this, I then saw that my navigation map had also froze. The touch screen, buttons, and steering wheel controls were unresponsive. I could not even engage voice commands. The radio, navigation and phone functions were not functioning.

Once I was home, I turned the car off and restarted it. This time the radio turned on and the phone reconnected, however the navigation was frozen, showing my location to where I was when the unit froze.

I've since been home for 5 hours, just returned to my car to start it hoping the issue resolved itself, however no such luck. I get the same as I did when I restarted the vehicle when I had arrived home.

I have done some searching on the internet and these forums. While I did not find anything specific to the Corolla, I do see a number of issues being discussed for other Toyota vehicles using Entune.

I have a 2015 Corolla S with the Technology package, and here in Canada we don't have the "Entune" features you have in the US. Though given some other uses success in purchasing Canadian head units and installing it in a US vehicle, it is clear the head units are 100% the same once it is connected to the Entune app through your phone.

In the threads I had found, the common theme seemed to be the head unit needing replacement. I'll be reaching out to the dealership which I purchased the vehicle from to see if they have any experience with these issues and hope I can get it addressed under warranty.

Just curious if others have had this issue or not with their Corolla.

In nearly 2 years of ownership this is the first issue I have had with this vehicle. The vehicle is also 100% the same as it was when I drove it off the lot, except for the accident (rear ended) I was in nearly a year ago.
As the Corolla touch screen radio and navigation system is electronic.
Like a smal computer internal cash memory could could bug.
To clean cash memory ou have to onplug battery + for at less 15 minutes.

Did yoy try to disconnect battery + pole to see if this will reboot GPS!!!
Did you cheak your firmware version if it is up to date?!?!?
It may help to fix issues and bugs!!!

Hope this help
Sincerly your

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Regarding checking the update, we have no ways to update the firmware ourselves as here in Canada we don't have the advantage of Entune that you guys have in Canada. Entune is not offered in Canada at all by Toyota, not on any vehicle. The only option to update it will be to take it to a dealer. So the firmware is whatever predates August 2015 when I purchased the vehicle.

I'll try disconnecting the battery tomorrow evening after work to see if there is any improvement.

·
Registered
2015 Corolla s
801 Posts
Regarding checking the update, we have no ways to update the firmware ourselves as here in Canada we don't have the advantage of Entune that you guys have in Canada. Entune is not offered in Canada at all by Toyota, not on any vehicle. The only option to update it will be to take it to a dealer. So the firmware is whatever predates August 2015 when I purchased the vehicle.

I'll try disconnecting the battery tomorrow evening after work to see if there is any improvement.
Canadian Toyota dealer tech sould be able to do firmware update!!!
Ther a files indropbox for Entune and Entune premium headunit update
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kqxzm6ssecq8khw/AABqF8cz9vy1I10FC4v9xQl6a?dl=0

Get more info on this Toyotanation tread
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/3...tware-update-fujitsu-ten-questions-etc-9.html

Disconect the battery for at less 15 minutes

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I have yet to get a chance to disconnect the battery today, but will likely call the dealership tomorrow to arrange for an update hoping it addresses the issue.

This morning I left for work, the radio and phone functions worked, but the navigation remained frozen showing me in the area where I was when it froze the day before. However after driving for about 15 minutes the navigation reloaded to my correct location. I didn't have any issues for the remainder of the drive or my commute home after work.

This evening I went out to get groceries, but this time when starting the car the navigation and phone worked, but the radio was silent. I could choose different stations, etc, but there was no audio. When leaving the grocery store everything functioned normally.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
An update.

I didn't try updating it myself, I didn't want to risk something failing during the update to give the dealer reason to charge me or make it more difficult to revive the unit. I went to the dealership today for the update, but unfortunately they could do not perform it. The service tech said it was odd, he inserted the USB but it did not detect it for the update. He then tested to ensure it wasn't the USB connection on its own by connecting his phone without issue. I would have been surprised if it were the USB itself as I had my phone connected via USB during my drive to the dealership.

So, where do we go from here? They are ordering a new head unit and will call me once it's in.

·
Registered
2015 Corolla s
801 Posts
An update.

I didn't try updating it myself, I didn't want to risk something failing during the update to give the dealer reason to charge me or make it more difficult to revive the unit. I went to the dealership today for the update, but unfortunately they could do not perform it. The service tech said it was odd, he inserted the USB but it did not detect it for the update. He then tested to ensure it wasn't the USB connection on its own by connecting his phone without issue. I would have been surprised if it were the USB itself as I had my phone connected via USB during my drive to the dealership.

So, where do we go from here? They are ordering a new head unit and will call me once it's in.
Look like your Toyota dealer take good care of you and the head unit issues!!!

I hope the new head unit will solve the problem!!!

keep us in touch with evolution of the situation.

Sincerly yours.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was pleased with how quickly they determined a new unit was required, no giving me the run around. While I live in a large city, I purchased the car from a dealership located in a much smaller city where they only have a single Toyota dealership. So my guess is they know they need to treat their customers right ask they would then risk turning they away from Toyota as a whole.

Oddly enough I have not had the issues since the first post; but still want to get it addressed in effort to avoid having the same issues pop up after the warranty is expired.

·
Registered
'14 Toyota Corolla S
197 Posts
The *only* issue I've had with my Corolla S+ is the Entune Nav radio freezing every now and then..

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We don't have Entune here in Canada, but I do know those of us in Canada with the Navigation unit have the same head unit as you guys in the US who have the Entune unit. I know this as a member on here in the US had purchased a Canadian unit and installed it in his vehicle to upgrade and was able to enable Entune. So if it's freezing, take it to the dealer to see if they can do the software update.

Anyhow, went to the dealership today, waited 45 minutes while they installed the new unit. I was hoping that the new unit would come with updated maps, but sadly it didn't as I just checked and a local road is still missing from the map (despite the road being built 4+ years before the car was made!

·
Registered
'14 Toyota Corolla S
197 Posts
We don't have Entune here in Canada, but I do know those of us in Canada with the Navigation unit have the same head unit as you guys in the US who have the Entune unit. I know this as a member on here in the US had purchased a Canadian unit and installed it in his vehicle to upgrade and was able to enable Entune. So if it's freezing, take it to the dealer to see if they can do the software update.

Anyhow, went to the dealership today, waited 45 minutes while they installed the new unit. I was hoping that the new unit would come with updated maps, but sadly it didn't as I just checked and a local road is still missing from the map (despite the road being built 4+ years before the car was made!
Goes to show you how outdated the headunits are in our cars!:|

1 - 12 of 12 Posts