Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,
Is there a way to override the ability to enter a new destination while driving over 10mph? My nav only allows me to enter new points when I am stopped and I know its for safety reasons, but in most times I have a passenger who can work the controls and its really a pain when I am on the highway and have to pull over in shoulder when I have someone near me to actually work the nav...

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have heard that there might be a way to burn a 'hybrid' DVD to do this, but I have not found a step-by-step for this process with the new 8.1 disk yet myself. I would be interested in this also.

That being said, you can use the voice activation to set a destination even if the car is moving. It is just that the voice system is such a PITA to use, even if you turn off the prompts in setup. You are limited to:

1. Home
2. Addresses (love the 50 prompts needed and why can't it just default to the current state and city you are in?)
3. Nearest ... (very limited)

Here is an excellent tutorial on how to use the voice prompts:

http://www.toyotaiguide.com/iGuide_Highlander.htm

·
Registered
134 Posts
Voice prompts would be great if the actual voice recognition wasn't so horrible - doesn't help that we pronounce stuff weird up here in Boston, but I didn't grow up here and have no accent, but a lot of streets take 3 or 4 tries to get and sometimes it never gets them. Totally useless in my book and rediculous that Toyota has forced this on us - most other cars let you do NAV input while moving.

Keep an eye on www.coastaletech.com, they are the ones that will do it hopefully - had one of their units on my RX350 and it makes everything work the way it should have from the factory!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts