Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
'16 Highlander
32 Posts
I have 2016 and mine is nav does the same thing. My wifewand I went to Myrtle Beach over the labor day weekend from Charlotte, NC. The Nav in the Highlander was plotting a route that was 45 mins longer than the route plotted by Google maps on our phone. Needless to say we just ignored the nav in the highlander. Its been like that since the day I bought it. Worthless!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Navigation routing is ridiculous

Just purchased a 2018 Camry Hybrid XLE with integrated navigation. Like other posters here, I cannot for the life of me figure out why this GPS Nav is picking insane routes. I also have a 2012 Camry XLE with integrated GPS. WIth the 2012 system the NAV works brilliantly. I recently tested the new nav on a drive to the Pearson airport using toll hwy 407. When the GPS tried to route me to hwy 27 north to hwy 7, I thougt it was insane. Anyone who is familiar with this route knows that the route is 407 to 427 South to 409. Any other choice is ridiculous. I've noticed on other in city drives, the nav is equally crazy.
I used the manual and it showed me how to select routing options. However, the directions in manual DOES NOT MATCH the actual nav system's menus. Is there anyone who can say how to select these route preferences?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Honestly, I just use CarPlay now with WAZE or Google Maps. This insanely overpriced &^%$ embedded navigation system is JUNK! Not sure why it works so poorly compared to the NAV system in my earlier 2012 Camry (same settings) but it does and as a result it's useless.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I used the manual and it showed me how to select routing options. However, the directions in manual DOES NOT MATCH the actual nav system's menus. Is there anyone who can say how to select these route preferences?
Are you referring to the Screen where you can select/deselect options like Avoiding Toll Roads and etc? Or, are you thinking about once programmed-in a destination, to pick one of the multiple routes that are available to you on screen?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I use Google Maps even though Apple Maps is more convenient on my iPhone because I believe that Google/Waze probably gets better real-time traffic data. Where I live, it's even useful program in virtually every trip I take just to be occasionally notified of serious traffic jams. I also like how Google Maps tells you what lane(s) you should be in.
We too have found navigation very poor. Here in Houston proper it literally had us going in circles when findin a new restaurant a short while back. We now always use Google maps on our phones as well for backup if we are going someplace new. Strangely enough it seems to work quite well on long trips out of town, and we get traffic alerts all the tine, but they are almost always false alarms. google moss is much more reliable on those.

·
Registered
127 Posts
We too have found navigation very poor. Here in Houston proper it literally had us going in circles when findin a new restaurant a short while back. We now always use Google maps on our phones for backup if we are going someplace new. Strangely enough it seems to work quite well on long trips out of town, and we get traffic alerts all the time, but they are almost always false alarms. google maps is much more reliable on those.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think nothing beats google for traffic data, it’s spot on, and it’s sourced from users, local authorities from other sources as well. Apples map tho convenient being a iPhone user, google is much more reliable, when it comes to traffic and diverts you when you hit a slow down. Apple has gotten better tho. Is the main reason why I wanted it displayed on the car screen.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts