Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2014 Limited Platinum and in the last year I began to have an issue with the Navigation system, radio and basically all the "computer" parts rebooting.

- It first would happen once every couple of weeks, just suddenly freeze... no controls would work, the display even behind the wheel would be frozen then within a minute everything would reboot with the toyota logo like when you started the car and would work.
- The frequency was rare enough I ignored it until the frequency began to pick up, sometimes beginning to happen multiple times a day or even a single drive. It would come and go and be really bad one week then get better.
- The rebooting did not seem tied to a particular action or button press, nor hitting a bump or rough patch... it was random.
- We never use any of the applications in the navigation system, just the radio and moving map.
- Finally had the dealership look at it and they swore they "knew for sure the fix" as a software update that my system needed because it was a "known issue". I asked how it was a software issue if it worked correctly for years and only started happening the last year and has gotten worse all without any software updates. The answer they gave is that our iPhones which connect via bluetooth have ever changing software and it is that integration that is likely causing the issue. Well $80 an a software update I'm back on the road. It seemed ok for a couple of weeks but now we have had 2 random reboots again.

Anyone with this issue? Doesn't this seem like a loose wire or some hardware component failing?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5 toyotas,
528 Posts
the first attempt should be a software update, either a warranty issue in 3 / 36 or if past warranty
should he an hours labor...........at the dealer.

if that does not fix it you need a new head unit. $$$$$$$$$$$ .

you could always disconnect the negative battery terminal for 10-15 min and reconnect just rule out a random glitch, and its free.

if you do have the latest update the next step is a new head unit.

THIS:
answer they gave is that our iPhones which connect via bluetooth have ever changing software and it is that integration that is likely causing the issue.
IS A LOAD OF B.S.

if software doesnt fix it, the only thing really left is hardware (new head unit)

·
Registered
2014 Highlander Lim
685 Posts
I have a 2014 Limited Platinum and in the last year I began to have an issue with the Navigation system, radio and basically all the "computer" parts rebooting.
Unfortunately this is another one of those issues that Toyota has NOT corrected completely. In the beginning I had same rebooting problems. Dealer updated system and it got a little better. Year or so later I updated the navigation card, pretty much no difference. Mine still looses the bass & treble settings about once a month or so. Recently I downloaded the latest software and updated my system. Knock on wood so far so good. I do believe that paring the iPhone is the culprit. Anyways here's a link to the latest download and its free. Hope this helps.... https://securedp.toyota.com/download-app/getUpdates

·
GA driver
2015 Highlander Plat
3 Posts
I had the same issue with my 2016 highlander. To the dealer yesterday and they updated the software and that should fix it. Will see but they said next step would be system replacement — thank goodness still under warranty! Will update.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've been searching all over the net for resolutions to this issue. I found a couple videos that showed how to remove the panel on the dash and access the head unit (pretty easy task). Being a computer scientist and knowing that this issue seems to be related to a hard drive (rebooting, getting worse over time, etc.), I took mine apart and looked for a drive to see if it might be a loose connection or something like that. The system definitely shows the symptoms of a drive gone bad. As more and more sectors go bad on the drive, it does stuff like hang up or reboot more often. Mine finally got to the state of constantly rebooting. Anyway, when I did remove the head unit, I turned it over and underneath, attached to the head unit, itself, was what appears to be a standard hard drive like you'd find in desktop computers. I don't think these drives are ideal for use in vehicles; all the off/on, jolting while driving, etc. is a recipe for failure in my opinion.

So I'm thinking that if these units are replaced with the same architecture, they ARE doomed to fail again. I'll be getting with Toyota to share my thoughts and I want to know if they are doing anything to compensate buyers for their poor judgement in this case. They've sold these units, that were doomed to fail from the beginning, to us. So I think they should do something to make that right. What that something is, I'm not sure at this point. Thanks.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Anyway, when I did remove the head unit, I turned it over and underneath, attached to the head unit, itself, was what appears to be a standard hard drive like you'd find in desktop computers. I don't think these drives are ideal for use in vehicles; all the off/on, jolting while driving, etc. is a recipe for failure in my opinion.
Seriously? A mechanical hard drive in an automotive radio? Or perhaps an SSD? Can you post a photo please?

Paul

·
Premium Member
1,773 Posts
While it seems silly in contrast to a solid-state drive (SSD) today, traditional mechanical hard drives have served well for years in vehicular applications. (Think Panasonic Toughbooks and emergency vehicles.) The key is mounting the drive correctly with shock-absorbing mounts to isolate it from the vehicle's vibration. Toughbooks even had heaters for the hard drives assuming the vehicle would be parked outside in the winter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Seriously? A mechanical hard drive in an automotive radio? Or perhaps an SSD? Can you post a photo please?

Paul
Hey Paul,

After finally getting a change to take the system apart again and examine it for serial numbers, etc., I found that the part is actually a satellite tuner. I had pulled an old hard drive I had from an old desktop to compare. In the attachment, the satellite tuner is the black one.

Oh well - I'm just gonna replace the unit anyway.

Attachments

·
Registered
413 Posts
Hey Paul,

After finally getting a change to take the system apart again and examine it for serial numbers, etc., I found that the part is actually a satellite tuner. I had pulled an old hard drive I had from an old desktop to compare. In the attachment, the satellite tuner is the black one.

Oh well - I'm just gonna replace the unit anyway.
Hey, in your defense it is the same size at least ;)

Paul

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey, in your defense it is the same size at least ;)

Paul
Close - the satellite tuner was a wee bit bigger, but man it looks pretty much like a hard drive. Oh well - I'm now checking Crutchfield for a new system. I still feel like enough of these systems have bit the dust that Toyota should admit that the product was a lemon and fix it for customers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2014 has been doing the same thing - getting more frequent. I'll try the software update. I've called three dealers who act like they've never heard of the issue. Crazy. My mechanic sure knows about it. Does anyone know how much it would cost to have them replace the whole unit? I want to sell the car to my daughter, but not with this issue getting worse and worse lately. Also - do you know if this is resolved in later models? I'm looking at a 2016 now. Thank you in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,773 Posts
I hate it when the dealers play dumb like that. Entune has always had problems with bugs and rebooting spontaneously. Sadly, they didn't fix the problem completely by 2016; the solution is still to be on the most recent software update available.

You can go to this site to download the firmware updates yourself and skip the dealer. This site doesn't always have the latest update available, but I don't believe there has been an update for the 2014-15 units in quite some time so that shouldn't be an issue for you.

·
2014 Highlander LE
7,813 Posts
The stereo in the HL is one of the few weakest points. Within the first year just months after I got the new car, I took it out and its been excellent with a Pioneer NEX unit. Hoping the search is working more smoothly...You should find LOTS of threads about this topic. Many are happy with Android units with some hiccups for some, but changing the unit is a no brainer if you like sound and function

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a 2019 factory JBL /Nav headunit up for sale on ebay if you’re interested. Not sure if it will work in your 2014, but you can make me an offer if you think it will work.

·
Registered
1 Posts

• It first would happen once every couple of weeks, just suddenly freeze... no controls would work, the display even behind the wheel would be frozen then within a minute everything would reboot with the toyota logo like when you started the car and would work.
  • The frequency was rare enough I ignored it until the frequency began to pick up, sometimes beginning to happen multiple times a day or even a single drive. It would come and go and be really bad one week then get better.
  • The rebooting did not seem tied to a particular action or button press, nor hitting a bump or rough patch... it was random.
  • We never use any of the applications in the navigation system, just the radio and moving map.
  • Finally had the dealership look at it and they swore they "knew for sure the fix" as a software update that my system needed because it was a "known issue". I asked how it was a software issue if it worked correctly for years and only started happening the last year and has gotten worse all without any software updates. The answer they gave is that our iPhones which connect via bluetooth have ever changing software and it is that integration that is likely causing the issue. Well $80 an a software update I'm back on the road. It seemed ok for a couple of weeks but now we have had 2 random reboots again.
Anyone with this issue? Doesn't this seem like a loose wire or some hardware component failing?

Thanks!
I had the radio hardware replaced and 2-3 weeks later went back to rebooting/freezing, I believe it’s just a poor quality device used on the highlander models. Now service has no idea what’s going on and can only comment that they would not know if it doesn’t happen to them and device seems OK for them.

·
Registered
8 Posts

• It first would happen once every couple of weeks, just suddenly freeze... no controls would work, the display even behind the wheel would be frozen then within a minute everything would reboot with the toyota logo like when you started the car and would work.
  • The frequency was rare enough I ignored it until the frequency began to pick up, sometimes beginning to happen multiple times a day or even a single drive. It would come and go and be really bad one week then get better.
  • The rebooting did not seem tied to a particular action or button press, nor hitting a bump or rough patch... it was random.
  • We never use any of the applications in the navigation system, just the radio and moving map.
  • Finally had the dealership look at it and they swore they "knew for sure the fix" as a software update that my system needed because it was a "known issue". I asked how it was a software issue if it worked correctly for years and only started happening the last year and has gotten worse all without any software updates. The answer they gave is that our iPhones which connect via bluetooth have ever changing software and it is that integration that is likely causing the issue. Well $80 an a software update I'm back on the road. It seemed ok for a couple of weeks but now we have had 2 random reboots again.

Thanks!
Turn your Bluetooth off of your phone. Mine rebooted every 2 miles. It’s the new phones with the hands free. Toyota isn’t up to date and their systems are not keeping up with new technology. If my phone connects it reboots every 2 mikes. Unconnected I never have the problem. Try it and let me know if it’s the same with your ToyotaEntune. Highlander owner

·
Registered
1 Posts
Turn your Bluetooth off of your phone. Mine rebooted every 2 miles. It’s the new phones with the hands free. Toyota isn’t up to date and their systems are not keeping up with new technology. If my phone connects it reboots every 2 mikes. Unconnected I never have the problem. Try it and let me know if it’s the same with your ToyotaEntune. Highlander owner
I have a brand new 2019 Tacoma and since the last iPhone update is doing just as you said. It’s normal with iPhone bluetooth off

1 - 20 of 56 Posts