Toyota Nation Forum banner

41 - 60 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
XR Max Iphone updated now can’t Bluetooth to my system. Paid for the D7 update at service department. Wasted my money. When I turned on handsfree it started rebooting again. When I was traveling to Oklahoma it drove me crazy. I shut off my phone and my system quit rebooting.
I had to inform your service department it was the Bluetooth. They didn’t even know.
I don’t download my contacts. The phone causes my system to reboot every mike.
I have none with odd symbols or emojis. Technology has bypassed Toyota. Help please
Yes!!! Toyota is claiming the problem is my phone as well. They said I just have to wait until iPhone updates fix it. I have a 10 XR and am on iOS 13.1.3.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a Highlander Limited 2017 and have had problems from day one with intermittent rebooting. after updating my iPhone over the weekend head unit started to reboot every couple of minutes. I’ve already had it replaced once and it’s been under a year so fortunately it’s under warranty took it to the dealership and they did an urgent update and said it was fixed but as soon as I left the dealership same problem. Drove straight back, tech came out and confirmed the problem and now I’m waiting for my 2nd head unit to arrive so they can install.
I think it’s a complete joke that Entune doesn’t like phone updates. I expected better from Toyota.
Any solutions? I’m concerned that when the warranty runs out on that part I’m screwed. Car is already out of warranty as I have 42k miles on it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a Highlander Limited 2017 and have had problems from day one with intermittent rebooting. after updating my iPhone over the weekend head unit started to reboot every couple of minutes. I’ve already had it replaced once and it’s been under a year so fortunately it’s under warranty took it to the dealership and they did an urgent update and said it was fixed but as soon as I left the dealership same problem. Drove straight back, tech came out and confirmed the problem and now I’m waiting for my 2nd head unit to arrive so they can install.
I think it’s a complete joke that Entune doesn’t like phone updates. I expected better from Toyota.
Any solutions? I’m concerned that when the warranty runs out on that part I’m screwed. Car is already out of warranty as I have 42k miles on it.
After taking my 2017 Sienna in twice, they’ve told me there’s nothing they can do- that it is an iPhone issue. Told me to unpair my phone and not use Bluetooth. I’d I do pair my phone, do not sync contact list. Sounds like Toyota has a capacity problem and cannot accommodate the iPhone. I told my service advisor that not pairing the phone and not using Bluetooth defeats the point of having these features on my vehicle. I asked if they were warning new buyers that they might not be able to use their phone in their new vehicle. He said of course they aren’t saying that. Well. Maybe I’ll go stand in the showroom and start telling people that. Totally disgusted with Toyota. I’m technically out of warranty range but I wasn’t when I took my van in for the first time. Waiting to hear what others do. My local dealer supposedly talked to Toyota service headquarters and was told that replacing the audio unit would not solve the problem. They told me I have to wait for Apple to further update my iPhone. What a lame answer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My ‘16 4Runner had an issue over a year ago where there was a delay in changing songs, or it would say it was playing one song and it actually wasn’t - there even were brief freezes. Under warranty I got a replacement... fastfwd 13 months later and the car and radio warranty are outdated...
I updated to iOS 13.2.2 three days ago - no issues. I take my 4Runner in yesterday to the dealership for a simple inspection and this is after driving 2.5 hrs there (still without issue). As soon as I leave my radio starts rebooting over and over. Timing it, it takes less than 1 minute until it reboots again.
Of course, I immediately called the dealership and bring it back in; they said the system just needed updated and I was good. I didn’t get out the garage before it started rebooting. So after they take it back the manager tells me it’s a known issue and he sees this all the time. He continues to tell me I need a new radio and then hands me the Toyota 1800 customer service number.
I figured out from reading threads, turn off Bluetooth is an option. It will save your sanity and it works to prevent the radio from rebooting. I also deleted entune (I don’t think it made any difference though).

‭(800) 331-4331‬ is the Toyota customer service line.

Update: I didn’t delete or reconnect anything. I only went to Bluetooth settings on my phone and unchecked sync contacts under my 4Runner. My 40 min drive home went without interruption from the radio rebooting.
I will try to manually add contacts soon and see if I have the same result.
Thank you everyone with the tid bits of info and your help.

·
Metal Maniac
140 Posts
I got it working in my wife's Highlander now. Deleted the iPhone from her car, and deleted it from the phone. Repaired from the beginning. Turned off "sync" all contact, recent calls and groups. Then manually synced contacts to get the numbers in, then turned it back off.

Now it connects each time with no issues. Definitely something tied to the sync contacts part of the connection.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I to did the whole delete phone, bluetooth thing and it worked for a few hours then the same problem. Did it again but this time didn’t sync my contacts and so far so good.
It’s a shame we have to go through all of this to stop a problem we shouldn’t have.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Turn your Bluetooth off of your phone. Mine rebooted every 2 miles. It’s the new phones with the hands free. Toyota isn’t up to date and their systems are not keeping up with new technology. If my phone connects it reboots every 2 mikes. Unconnected I never have the problem. Try it and let me know if it’s the same with your ToyotaEntune. Highlander owner
I have 2014 HL. And, have been experiencing the issue on a more frequent basis for a week or so.
Today, it was happening every few minutes, more-or-less, just as the poster has described.

From my fiddling around, I would agree, the problem only stops once I removed my phone ( IPhone 6, IOS 13.2.2 ) from the bluetooth connection. That is, I turned the phone's bluetooth service off. I have not (yet) removed or reset its bluetooth configuration from the phone or the car.

I also tried just disabling the IPhone Entune appilcation.
That did not suffice.

I normally have TWO devices configured to be connected to the car. ( mine + Spouse )
I was not yet tested this issue with the second device.

I have my fingers crossed for an update from Toyota and/or Apple soon.
Or, that maybe a reset of the bluetooth connections will fix it.

UPDATE: I see others have disabled the 'Sync Contacts' option on the phone's bluetooth settings. I have tried that too and, yeah, that worked! I'm not sure I ever needed that feature so, this 'workaround' is fine by me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If headunit reboots within 5 mins of connecting phone. Mostly apple iphone. Please make sure to update ios 13.2. This apple software has updated bluetooth bug fixes.
Second part remove phone from car and delete out car from phone.
Reconnect the phone, while in the iphone bluetooth setting hit the i icon to the right of your vehicle. Scroll down to groups and uncheck them.
This helps with rebooting that I have seen. Let me know if this works, if someone tries this.
I have the same issue however i am already on ios 13.2. My wife has not yet updated her ios version to 13.2 and the issue does not happen when her phone is connected to the 2019 Tundra we have. Dealership said there isn't any software update available for my vehicle. Woes continue!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Disabled the 'Sync Contacts' option as well and that fixed the problem for me. Go into your Bluetooth settings and click the "i" icon next to the Toyota Connect. Uncheck "Sync Contacts" and that corrects the issue. My experience with the dealers is a dumb look when you tell them the head unit is not working right. I also get the standard response of, "we can't reproduce this issue, sorry". Toyota has a habit of using the cheapest parts it can find. I had to replace the breaks and battery on my 2019 before I hit 25K miles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes!!! Toyota is claiming the problem is my phone as well. They said I just have to wait until iPhone updates fix it. I have a 10 XR and am on iOS 13.1.3.
Disabled the 'Sync Contacts' option as well and that fixed the problem for me. Go into your Bluetooth settings and click the "i" icon next to the Toyota Connect. Uncheck "Sync Contacts" and that corrects the issue. My experience with the dealers is a dumb look when you tell them the head unit is not working right. I also get the standard response of, "we can't reproduce this issue, sorry". Toyota has a habit of using the cheapest parts it can find. I had to replace the breaks and battery on my 2019 before I hit 25K miles.
It worked! Disabled Sync Contacts and all is good!!
Thanks for the post!

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2014 has been doing the same thing - getting more frequent. I'll try the software update. I've called three dealers who act like they've never heard of the issue. Crazy. My mechanic sure knows about it. Does anyone know how much it would cost to have them replace the whole unit? I want to sell the car to my daughter, but not with this issue getting worse and worse lately. Also - do you know if this is resolved in later models? I'm looking at a 2016 now. Thank you in advance.
It's still a problem, I have it in my 2016 and its getting progressively worse. Now cutting out 3 times during my 7 minute commute to work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the valuable info. I just bought a 2016 Highlander yesterday and within minutes of setting up the every 2 miles rebooting began. It's like you said, it's the bluetooth. Once we disconnected the phones, the rebooting stopped. HOWEVER, the real culprit is loading phone contacts. We can activate our phones' bluetooth without contacts and it does fine. If you use Siri to voice commands it will still use the car's speaker system. So until there is a fix, all we are missing is the contacts list.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had same issues with 2015 Highlander that started a month ago. What is interesting is that after two dealer trips and lots of reading, my iPhone 10r would cause the system to reboot but when my wife connected her iPhone 7+ it worked fine even though she has more contacts. When i redid everything per @Toyophone, and turn "sync contacts" off, it worked fine. It is clearly something new with bluetooth as there are way more posts in last 30-60 days. It appears to only affect certain iPhones (regardless of OS) and it seems to be cured by NOT syncing contacts. the only question I have is how to "manually" sync contacts. SO i went out to the car and went to settings on the Highlander. Than went to info on the bluetooth and i turned on sync contacts. Then i took off "all contacts" and only updated "phone favorites". Then i selected up Auto update on the highlander and it updated 16 of my top contacts and then I turned off "Sync contacts" on the phone. So far so good. Will see if that holds.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This just started happening to my 2017 4Runner out of the blue last week. If I am listening to music from my iphone or even a CD, the system will reboot every 30 seconds or so. If I turn off the bluetooth on my iphone X (which has the most current ios software), the system is fine and does not reboot. However, that means I can only listen to CDs or radio. Once I turn bluetooth back on, the system begins rebooting again. Any suggestions??

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Other than the iPhone via Bluetooth connection, USB connection can still get your music played from iPhone. Yes, of course, the inconvenience of the physical wire...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Turn your Bluetooth off of your phone. Mine rebooted every 2 miles. It’s the new phones with the hands free. Toyota isn’t up to date and their systems are not keeping up with new technology. If my phone connects it reboots every 2 mikes. Unconnected I never have the problem. Try it and let me know if it’s the same with your ToyotaEntune. Highlander owner
Hi Tina, The cellphone 'Bluetooth' is partially the reason - but not the cause! The problem is the amount of data being uploaded to the dashboard from your cellphone using bluetooth ( if it uploads to much data ) during initialization - it will crash & reboot. This will cause the dashboard to get in a viscous cycle of loading and crashing! My radio dashboard went crazy with reboots & crashing. It was working fine for 2 years and all I did was add some family photos to my phone contact list. The next day when I went for a drive - I could see the dashboard loading & trying to update screen with those photos and it would crash and start over!! I noticed this for about 5 minutes during the drive and saw the 'loading' data from my phone and thought 'this crazy dashboard is burning threw my phone data' and turned my phone off' - issue stopped!!!! To fix it, I have removed the photos from my contact list and my 2016 Toyota Tacoma truck radio dashboard is now happy and doesn't crash anymore. Note: Reboot issue can trigger with any 'large quantity of data ' being pulled from your phone (during initialization) that could cause the crashing & rebooting. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
1 Posts
As a tech troubleshooter, I think this thread now has enough information for Toyota to resolve the problem. I see two separate potential issues, but the most problematic one is specifically for iPhones running iOS 13. Apple has recently changed their photo format and from my experience with my 5-phone family I think I have narrowed it down.

if your contacts have a picture in the new format, the Toyota system doesn’t recognize the new picture format, but also doesn’t sanity check the incoming data to be sure it can be displayed. The result is a crash and reboot. For most of us, stopping the contact sync should solve the issue. We did this for two phones and the others have not been causing trouble.

it does seem like there also may be a memory shortage for large data devices. This problem likely affects a much smaller set of users, and I don’t see enough data in the thread or know enough about the hardware to speculate about that issue.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have never had this issue, my car being a 2019 SE, the radio is updated on my car as far a what Panasonic has done, to the internals. I know this because I was in there. Newer units, have a different BT radio, most likely due to the newer phones having the latest. This tech age, it takes only a few years if not a year for something to be obsolete. Making things backwards compatible from that is not cost effective, takes time and money to write an effective firmware upgrade, even with that they may have missed something. Everyone I know now leases a vehicle, cost to own is not that far off from leasing, they are in the latest and greatest as far as technology, and usually never have to deal with these issues, that being said these newer vehicles are going to harder to keep for the longer run for something as simple as a firmware upgrade. Its when people stop giving their money to these companies is when they realize what they need to improve on, they are worried more about next years sales than costumer service. As far as tech Toyota is behind majorly. And articles I have seen about the entune I feel may have been propped up. Anyway I think it’s nothing more than firmware, and effectively how it’s done to intergrade it.

This what I noticed, with an old board and new board out of my headunit. BT chip is intergraded into the board instead of a bought unit that they soldered in.

·
Metal Maniac
140 Posts
As a tech troubleshooter, I think this thread now has enough information for Toyota to resolve the problem. I see two separate potential issues, but the most problematic one is specifically for iPhones running iOS 13. Apple has recently changed their photo format and from my experience with my 5-phone family I think I have narrowed it down.

if your contacts have a picture in the new format, the Toyota system doesn’t recognize the new picture format, but also doesn’t sanity check the incoming data to be sure it can be displayed. The result is a crash and reboot. For most of us, stopping the contact sync should solve the issue. We did this for two phones and the others have not been causing trouble.

it does seem like there also may be a memory shortage for large data devices. This problem likely affects a much smaller set of users, and I don’t see enough data in the thread or know enough about the hardware to speculate about that issue.
Well that's wrong because my iPhone X and XS connect fine with iOS 13. My wife's 11 Pro Max causes the reboot issues. So saying it's tied directly to iOS 13 can't be 100% accurate.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2018 Toyota Highlander recently started this continuous rebooting. I have an iPhone 6s and my daughter has an iPhone X. We were able to go into the Bluetooth settings on our phones and turn off “sync contacts”. I also moved my usb charging cable from the ”Toyota” usb port into the regular USB port. That’s it. Problem solved. Hope this helps someone!

41 - 60 of 127 Posts