Toyota Nation Forum banner

61 - 80 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
This issue happen to my 2014 Rav4 a day ago. I have an iPhone 7s and turning BT off, turning "sync contacts" off or "forget this device" has not fix the issue :'((( My iPhone currently has an iOS 13.2, going to try to update it to 13.3 and see if that will help. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a brand new 2019 Tacoma and since the last iPhone update is doing just as you said. It’s normal with iPhone bluetooth off
My 2019 LP Highlander doing the same thing. If my iPhone is not paired, the system works normally. If it’s paired, the system crashes and reboots constantly. It’s frustrating to pay this much for a vehicle (and phone) and not have them work properly. There isn’t an update available to possibly fix the issue either.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I took my Highland in for its15000 mile maintenance check and all was well until THEN. Once I pulled out and was on the road the system crashed and then rebooted.. thought all was going to be fine wrong! So I'm scheduled for an appointment next week to see what happens, always had an iPhone, guess it decided it no longer likes it. Toyota you better fix this,

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have just joined the forum because I am perplexed at the thought of having to shell out $1132.00 for a new head unit in my 2015 Platinum Sequoia. That is what the dealer is asking for a new unit. Mine, like so many others started out doing weird things about 2 months ago, then the symptoms worsened and all it would do is reboot. If the radio was on, it would suddenly just turn off and I would have to turn it back on. I thought it was possessed! I finally looked on line and found a guy in MN who posted a video on how to upgrade the software. I followed his instructions, downloaded the latest on a thumb drive, then went to the garage, pulled the vehicle out and did the upgrade. Now, when I was done, it said that it was successful and showed it was on the screen. Eureka! The next day I got in the vehicle and the radio would not turn on and the only thing that would come up on the screen was the Toyota warning about making sure to look at you surroundings before moving. Nothing worked on the unit, ie., it would not turn on at all, just the warning flashing on and off at about 15 second intervals. Now, if you can't get it to come on, that means you can't try the software upgrade again. The internet at this point gives you one choice, take it to the dealer. I called, made an appointment, told them the problem. They acted like I was speaking Martian or something. When I got there, they had me take a look at it with them, turn my blue tooth off on my phone, then he did a soft reboot (holding the on/off button and the channel tuning button at the same time for about 10 seconds) but this did nothing either. So they took it away for a Tech to check out. Basically what that involved was what I have seen in a forum post, they took the negative lead to the battery loose for 30 minutes, hooked it back up and then came back at told me it could not be fixed, and $1132.00 would fix it right up! Wait, what? They didn't even offer to maybe try to take it out and send it somewhere to be repaired! I have looked everywhere online for a solution, but to no avail. If anybody has a further suggestions or solutions, I certainly would appreciate a shout back. Thanks.

·
Registered
2011 Venza V6 AWD
21 Posts
I’ve been through much of what is mentioned here. My 2011 Venza headunit gave up the ghost according to the dealer. $1300 replacement cost. I let it slide for nearly two years. After a lot of research I found a place that would do a rebuild for $400. Before going through the R&R, I figured I needed a new navigation DVD anyway, so I found a 2018 version on Amazon for $19.95, bought it and installed it. The unit has been working perfectly ever since. Apparently the old DVD was the problem. Our iPhone XR’s work just fine with it, too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Tina, The cellphone 'Bluetooth' is partially the reason - but not the cause! The problem is the amount of data being uploaded to the dashboard from your cellphone using bluetooth ( if it uploads to much data ) during initialization - it will crash & reboot. This will cause the dashboard to get in a viscous cycle of loading and crashing! My radio dashboard went crazy with reboots & crashing. It was working fine for 2 years and all I did was add some family photos to my phone contact list. The next day when I went for a drive - I could see the dashboard loading & trying to update screen with those photos and it would crash and start over!! I noticed this for about 5 minutes during the drive and saw the 'loading' data from my phone and thought 'this crazy dashboard is burning threw my phone data' and turned my phone off' - issue stopped!!!! To fix it, I have removed the photos from my contact list and my 2016 Toyota Tacoma truck radio dashboard is now happy and doesn't crash anymore. Note: Reboot issue can trigger with any 'large quantity of data ' being pulled from your phone (during initialization) that could cause the crashing & rebooting. My 2 cents.
I can't wait to try this! Going crazy right now trying to listen to my music!

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2019 LP Highlander doing the same thing. If my iPhone is not paired, the system works normally. If it’s paired, the system crashes and reboots constantly. It’s frustrating to pay this much for a vehicle (and phone) and not have them work properly. There isn’t an update available to possibly fix the issue either.
I have an appointment Monday morning to get my 2019 LP Highlander looked at for this very reason. And I couldn’t agree more, for the amount of money I paid for this vehicle, which I really like, there should be a fix for this...?

·
Too Many Miles
RAV4 XLE AWD
2 Posts
We have a 2017 Highlander XLE that started exhibiting the "reboot" issue around Thanksgiving 2019. (video link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GoaAIFH2bRDx8_I0nw9EA2KafJFmAn6G) We immediately took it to the dealer who said they would charge us for the update. We knew that it wasn't a firmware nor entune app issue but rather the head unit. The dealer could NOT successfully upgrade the system and it progressively got worse over the next few day as we waited to hear from BOTH the dealership and Toyota about the replacement. At first they did not want to cover the system replacement stating that because we have over 36K miles on the car it is no longer under warranty BUT the car is only 2.5 years old and should NEVER have this issue at all. During the next week, they finally got the approval from Toyota who stated that the replacement system was on the way. On December 12, we were notified that one of the parts is on backorder but should arrive before 12/21. As you can imagine, the part never arrived and now it's still on backorder until late January 2020. We have spoken to a case worker at Toyota and a loaner car is out of the question since the vehicle is considered drivable. My question for all the legal experts and forum gurus -- What is the best way to handle this issue? One more note: This is our 3rd Highlander and we also have a recent RAV4. Is owner loyalty a thing of the past? Does the notion of Toyota quality evaporate when the head units are factored? I agree with many of the others that this is a ridiculous scenario that should NEVER happen and if it does should be remedied VERY quickly by Toyota or their dealers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Giving up on my factory unit after repeated attempts to keep the massive amount of info from my phone from crashing the unit. I ordered a Kenwood system today. I'm very excited for the upgrade and to have something that WORKS!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Does anyone do an update via cellular/app connection download? I have install a 2015 unit in my 2019, to resolve an issue with an added board installed into my unit, and have gotten a loaner unit, which needed to be updated and was performed with no issues. Haven’t had any issue with the 2015 unit, just wondering how everyone else is doing their firmware updates?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Pat G has figured out the problem, or at least a true cause of the problem. Today my wife's 2014 Highlander started the reboot issue - many times. Note that the radio has done its irregular reboot in the past and the firmware is as up to date as Toyota as provided. I asked her if she updated any contacts with photos (iPhone 10) and she said YES, the day before she added about 5 photos to contacts! This extra data is too much for the Toyota initiation and it crashes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2017 Highlander Sport and an iPhone 11 Pro Max. I updated the iPhone to iOS 13.3 recently and started seeing the continuous reboot problem yesterday. Previously, I had seen a number of infrequent reboots, but then all would seem well for quite a long time. Not yesterday, however. Reboots happened about every 90-120 seconds. Finally turned the darned thing off in frustration. After reading through the discussion in this forum, I decided to try the "un-pair everything and start from scratch" method. So I did just that. When I went to pair my phone with the Highlander, my phone asked me if I wanted to sync Contacts and Favorites. I selected "Don't Sync", and proceeded from there. Afterwards, I wandered around in the Highlander EnTune user interface and played music from my phone for about 15 minutes without problems.

I'm willing to bet that somebody in the Apple iOS software development division owns a Highlander or other affected vehicle, had the continuous reboot problem happen, did a little troubleshooting, and figured out a quick way to mitigate the problem until the real fix comes out. It looks like you have to do an entirely new BlueTooth pairing for the warning message to come up. I had to exit completely from the BlueTooth settings in EnTune and on the iPhone, and start again in order for my iPhone to see the Highlander in BlueTooth settings.

UPDATE:
Performed the same process for my wife's iPhone 8 Plus, and it seems to have worked for her phone as well. I did learn one thing, however. She has some pretty depressing music on her phone. :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
I went through and removed all photos assigned to my contacts. I disconnected my phone from my 2019 Highlander LP and then reconnected it. All seems to be working fine now, except that it will not read my text messages. I’m still not sure how to fix that.

·
Registered
38 Posts
This is total BS, being that you have to downgrade the capabilities of your device to something we barely had ten years ago, just to use the basic functions of the radio. I never really ran into the issue cause I never use picture ID. I did sync my contacts once, but deleted it and paired again. One weird thing I have I discovered with this old unit is it will toggle what looks to be a call when toggling Siri. But I don’t have the reboot issues.

·
Registered
1 Posts
the first attempt should be a software update, either a warranty issue in 3 / 36 or if past warranty
should he an hours labor...........at the dealer.

if that does not fix it you need a new head unit. $$$$$$$$$$$ .

you could always disconnect the negative battery terminal for 10-15 min and reconnect just rule out a random glitch, and its free.

if you do have the latest update the next step is a new head unit.

THIS:
answer they gave is that our iPhones which connect via bluetooth have ever changing software and it is that integration that is likely causing the issue.
IS A LOAD OF B.S.

if software doesnt fix it, the only thing really left is hardware (new head unit)
I’m guessing this is the issue, my iPhone. Recently my iPhone 10 XR started making my Nav/radio system go on and off again. Very annoying as I was enjoying my Pandora for over a year now. I turn off the Bluetooth and it’s back to normal. So it’s the iPhone or the Toyota system not being able to work with the iPhone. This happens regardless if it’s plugged in or not with charging cord or using WiFi Bluetooth option.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I found this solution on the Tundra.com. I have a 2018 Highlander and the reboot problem just showed up recently. I tried flashing the HU with an update but discovered I already had the latest update so I searched related forums and found this. I followed the steps (see below) recommended by WNY PAT and it solved the problem. Follow these steps with any phone you plan on pairing with your car. Changes I've made to the directions are in bold and hopefully help clarify the process. BTW my wife and I had recently updated our phones to the the latest Apple software release 13.3 when all of this starting happening. I hope this solution works for you as well.
FIXED TODAY: (WYN PAT)

Went to the Apple Store Genius Bar and told the guy what was happening. He came out to my truck and fixed it in less than 5 minutes. You must be running 13.3 OS: forget the Tundra from the I phone Bluetooth settings (On your iphone go to settings-bluetooth- and under "my devices" click on the info button (i) next to the "Toyota Highlander" device. At top of next page select "Forget this Device".
You must also remove the I Phone from the Tundra radio so there are no phones paired. (So you will need to get in your car and activate the NAV unit by simply pressing your start button once. On the NAV screen find the phone you paired with the car and "remove" it) Once that is done you must turn the Bluetooth off on the I phone until the last step. Here’s what he did to the phone:

1. Uninstall Apple Music app.
2. Reset network settings. (go to settings-general-reset (at bottom of page) select "Reset Network Settings". Phone will reboot.
3. Sign out of your I Tunes account. (Settings-Apple ID (at very top of page just under search line)-Sign Out (located at bottom of page). Make sure you know what your password is, you'll need it to sign back in later.
4. Restart the phone.
5. Sign in to I Tunes account again.
6. Reinstall the music app (by going to App Store and selecting Apple Music).
7. Open the music app, select songs, then select shuffle and let it begin playing the music on the phone first to be sure it’s working properly.
8. Pair the phone with the truck again (turn Bluetooth on, go to audio screen and select add).

I did this at about 10:45AM and drove the truck all day without any issues. Music and phone working fine. Also jumped in my 2017 and played a couple songs and. No more rebooting on that radio either. Hope this works for you guys too! Good luck!!
You'll need to reenter your password for your wifi connection

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2014 Limited Platinum and in the last year I began to have an issue with the Navigation system, radio and basically all the "computer" parts rebooting.

• It first would happen once every couple of weeks, just suddenly freeze... no controls would work, the display even behind the wheel would be frozen then within a minute everything would reboot with the toyota logo like when you started the car and would work.
  • The frequency was rare enough I ignored it until the frequency began to pick up, sometimes beginning to happen multiple times a day or even a single drive. It would come and go and be really bad one week then get better.
  • The rebooting did not seem tied to a particular action or button press, nor hitting a bump or rough patch... it was random.
  • We never use any of the applications in the navigation system, just the radio and moving map.
  • Finally had the dealership look at it and they swore they "knew for sure the fix" as a software update that my system needed because it was a "known issue". I asked how it was a software issue if it worked correctly for years and only started happening the last year and has gotten worse all without any software updates. The answer they gave is that our iPhones which connect via bluetooth have ever changing software and it is that integration that is likely causing the issue. Well $80 an a software update I'm back on the road. It seemed ok for a couple of weeks but now we have had 2 random reboots again.

Anyone with this issue? Doesn't this seem like a loose wire or some hardware component failing?

Thanks!
Did you change the battery? If so, disconnect the ground terminal and pump the brake petal ten times and reconnect. Everything should work after that. It's just another querk to get you to the dealer for service.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2019 Platinum Highlander, my whole screen goes completely blank rebooting every 20 seconds I timed it. This went on 29 times in a half an hour. Went to Toyota waited 2-1/2 hours they told me it was the contact sync on my Apple phone and to NOT do that and it will be fine? Okay but now I cannot use my phone in my car. I came home and called Apple about a "patch" which Toyota said is coming?? Apple said they have no "patch" and my phone has the last update which was over a month ago so according to Toyota that update got the ball rolling which I do not believe. Apple said Toyota has to update the Firmware to "talk" to Apple. So I called Toyota back and have an appointment today at 2:30 I'm gong to tell them that I heard on this forum that the Head Unit needs to be change but only after I hear their stupid reply which will be probably there is nothing they they can do. I've had this car 6 months. The first week I had to have the JBL replaced because all my sounds navigation, talk stuff didn't work. I fought with them over that but won. I guess I have to be firm with them. I argued with the guy and said I've had 2 other highlanders 2013 and 2016 and never had this problem so why this car. What is it that the 2019 has so many problems with. I also called the lady who sold me my car. I haven't heard back from her yet. I love the car but I'm so mad at this point. Has anybody actually resolved their issue of this? And is it truly the head unit? Thanks. I've had great luck with this place to resolve my issue before.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I found this solution on the Tundra.com. I have a 2018 Highlander and the reboot problem just showed up recently. I tried flashing the HU with an update but discovered I already had the latest update so I searched related forums and found this. I followed the steps (see below) recommended by WNY PAT and it solved the problem. Follow these steps with any phone you plan on pairing with your car. Changes I've made to the directions are in bold and hopefully help clarify the process. BTW my wife and I had recently updated our phones to the the latest Apple software release 13.3 when all of this starting happening. I hope this solution works for you as well.

You'll need to reenter your password for your wifi connection
I have same problem but never use the music app. I have Sirius. So it appears from what I'm reading that the Head Unit needs replacing. :-(

61 - 80 of 127 Posts