Toyota Nation Forum banner

101 - 120 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2015 Tacoma with Gracenote touch screen stereo and was experiencing the constant rebooting. I went to Toyota dealer in 2018 for software update (they charged me- lame!) and I have the most up to date software. I called Toyota and got no help from the service guy (he had an attitude and said to bring it in for them to plug into computer “to see if there’s a glitch” for $142...) yeah, no thanks.
Anyways, I changed my stereo settings back to factory settings and “forgot device” or my Tacoma in the Bluetooth section of my iPhone. Then I repaired and since then, haven’t had problems. Knock on wood, hope this keeps things working. Just thought I’d share. Thanks for everyone’s previous comments, as I just followed someone else’s suggestions!

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have a 2014 Limited Platinum and in the last year I began to have an issue with the Navigation system, radio and basically all the "computer" parts rebooting.

• It first would happen once every couple of weeks, just suddenly freeze... no controls would work, the display even behind the wheel would be frozen then within a minute everything would reboot with the toyota logo like when you started the car and would work.
  • The frequency was rare enough I ignored it until the frequency began to pick up, sometimes beginning to happen multiple times a day or even a single drive. It would come and go and be really bad one week then get better.
  • The rebooting did not seem tied to a particular action or button press, nor hitting a bump or rough patch... it was random.
  • We never use any of the applications in the navigation system, just the radio and moving map.
  • Finally had the dealership look at it and they swore they "knew for sure the fix" as a software update that my system needed because it was a "known issue". I asked how it was a software issue if it worked correctly for years and only started happening the last year and has gotten worse all without any software updates. The answer they gave is that our iPhones which connect via bluetooth have ever changing software and it is that integration that is likely causing the issue. Well $80 an a software update I'm back on the road. It seemed ok for a couple of weeks but now we have had 2 random reboots again.

Anyone with this issue? Doesn't this seem like a loose wire or some hardware component failing?

Thanks!
Sorry to tell you it is indeed a “known issue”, but your dealer took you for a ride, no pun intended. We got the same excuse for the problem with our 2017 HiHy but the rebooting continued just as you describe after a software update, even if I turned off my iPhone before we got in the vehicle. They finally replaced the entire head unit under warranty. No problems for over a year since.

·
Registered
240 Posts
So you feel removing the photos from Contacts is the problem solver?

My 2017 Sienna just started with this issue. Highly frustrating!
I too have seen the responses blaming an issue with the iPhone address book. Don’t believe it. As I said in a previous response our enTune kept rebooting even when my phone was turned off. Only a replacement of the entire head unit stopped the rebooting issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I read in one forum about someone disconnecting and reconnecting Bluetooth.
Delete from Bluetooth setting in your vehicle and forget in your device. Reconnect and when your phone and the car asks to sync contacts say no.
As long as you do this it seems to work.
I’m guessing whatever software is connected to that prevent the system from working properly.
We all still have hands free. Just talk to your phone like usual without the steering wheel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too have seen the responses blaming an issue with the iPhone address book. Don’t believe it. As I said in a previous response our enTune kept rebooting even when my phone was turned off. Only a replacement of the entire head unit stopped the rebooting issue.
I had the same issue. Dealer seemed dumbfounded. They did system updates and eventually replaced the unit. As soon as I picked it up and connected my iPhone it shut down and rebooted. I read in this forum someone said it had to do with the number of contacts. It's a memory overload issue. I'm suspecting RAM. If you have somewhere around 200 contacts or more and you have sync turned on, it will fill the memory during startup and the normal functions of the unit doesn't have available RAM to use so it reboots. I deleted a bunch of unused contacts, taking it down to about 150, deleted all user data from the unit, removed device, etc. Then reconnected, let it sync the 150 contacts, and then turned off sync. Have never had an issue since. I honestly don't know if that's it, but the memory being full made sense to cause constant rebooting.

·
Registered
1 Posts
FYI
We have a 2015 Highlander with Navigation, and when my wife got her iPhone XR, the rebooting problem started! (It worked for a few weeks, but I am assuming that Apple did an update!)
After a lot of research, and by reading all of the forums about this issue, I asked her to delete all of her contact photos, and we repaired her phone.
So far, everything works the way it is supposed to, and we are hoping that it continues.
The dealer had no idea, and suggested that we buy a new radio system, but that would have been our decision, so that they would not be held responsible.
Could have cost us a lot, with no results.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sounds like a different issue. Mine only rebooted with a phone connected.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So I read in one forum about someone disconnecting and reconnecting Bluetooth.
Delete from Bluetooth setting in your vehicle and forget in your device. Reconnect and when your phone and the car asks to sync contacts say no.
As long as you do this it seems to work.
I’m guessing whatever software is connected to that prevent the system from working properly.
We all still have hands free. Just talk to your phone like usual without the steering wheel.
This works too but if you want to be able to see and use your contacts, delete all of the photos you have in your contact list and pair your phone with contacts enabled.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had this same problem with my 2015 HL Limited. Took it to the dealer who checked software updates, etc. Then, the fellow working on the car said it is the address book email contacts list on my phone... either too many email contacts or contacts that start with numbers. I had many "suggested" contacts on my phone, created from auto responses from a project management system I use. I deleted several hundred very long numerical email address contacts, turned off the suggested contacts feature and my unit has not locked up since. YMMV.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The stereo in the HL is one of the few weakest points. Within the first year just months after I got the new car, I took it out and its been excellent with a Pioneer NEX unit. Hoping the search is working more smoothly...You should find LOTS of threads about this topic. Many are happy with Android units with some hiccups for some, but changing the unit is a no brainer if you like sound and function
Did replacing the deck fix this issue?

·
Registered
1 Posts
OK everybody. My system shut down and rebooted multiple times. Turn on brights. reboot. Put in reverse at night backing up trailer. reboot. Talked to my nephew, expert Toyota technician and he said with no check engine warning lights. it had to be a weak battery. Come to find out terminal on 1 year battery was covered in white powder. Cleaned and sanded terminal and wire connector, problem solved. DO NOT pay for upgrade. My 2014 HL has never had any upgrades.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2017 Sienna has been doing same thing. Toyota service blaming iPhone. Says can’t be fixed.
my 2017 is rebooting contantly - Toyota dealer said $4,000 to fix (it failed 1 year ago last month) Just under 3 yrs old but 46,000 miles. Waiting until I get some money and try to fix myself.

·
2014 Highlander LE
8,001 Posts
my 2017 is rebooting contantly - Toyota dealer said $4,000 to fix (it failed 1 year ago last month) Just under 3 yrs old but 46,000 miles. Waiting until I get some money and try to fix myself.
$4000 USD ?!!???? LOL...wow. legal thieves... With that you can have some amazing sound system. Honestly you are not missing much without the stock head unit. Put a nice sounding system, and you will regret not doing it sooner :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Turn your Bluetooth off of your phone. Mine rebooted every 2 miles. It’s the new phones with the hands free. Toyota isn’t up to date and their systems are not keeping up with new technology. If my phone connects it reboots every 2 mikes. Unconnected I never have the problem. Try it and let me know if it’s the same with your ToyotaEntune. Highlander owner
Definitely a phone Bluetooth problem, cause I never have a problem when the Bluetooth is off on my phone.. really sucks cause I like playing my own music and using the hands free while talking on the phone. But don't think toyota is going to fix the problem, it's already been three years and no new update for my 2018 highlander.

·
2014 Highlander LE
8,001 Posts
Definitely a phone Bluetooth problem, cause I never have a problem when the Bluetooth is off on my phone.. really sucks cause I like playing my own music and using the hands free while talking on the phone. But don't think toyota is going to fix the problem, it's already been three years and no new update for my 2018 highlander.
Rip the thing out and put an aftermarket headunit. Anyone doing this has only wondered why they had not done it sooner. If you like the oem look there are a few great options based on posts in here. If you want to go standard dual din, you can pick any unit with the features you want, and have a somewhat lame bezel that will surround the unit. Its not ugly, but it is not ideal. Do a search in the stereo upgrades and you should have plenty content with ideas you might want to consider. It was the best thing I did, but I had a feeling I was doing it when purchasing the car. Been the case for most of my cars.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2014 Limited Platinum (running all original factory equipment) head unit would frequently reset/reboot when connected to an iPhone X using Bluetooth speakerphone (but not when streaming music). Dealer swapped out head unit under warranty back in the day however the reset issues continued. We gave up on hands-free phone use until we purchased an iPhone 12. Three months of daily use with the iPhone 12 and not a single reset/reboot since. No toyota software updates or dealer visits over this period - the only change was the Apple handset. New phone has all phone info from the old phone plus more and zero issues in three months = reset problems seemingly solved. Who would have guessed a new phone would be the most cost effective fix.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2017 Highlander and this the third radio I am having problems with. The first two the touch screen in the top right hand corner didn't work. but at least I had a radio to listen to. This time the radio just keeps rebooting. I bought the extended warranty on it but I am not sure if it covers radios. But by reading the comments it sounds like a software issue. I am so fed up that I just might buy an aftermarket even if its still under warranty. I know the last time I talked to the advisor about this and she told a lot of people have trouble with their radios.

·
Registered
4 Posts
After taking my 2017 Sienna in twice, they’ve told me there’s nothing they can do- that it is an iPhone issue. Told me to unpair my phone and not use Bluetooth. I’d I do pair my phone, do not sync contact list. Sounds like Toyota has a capacity problem and cannot accommodate the iPhone. I told my service advisor that not pairing the phone and not using Bluetooth defeats the point of having these features on my vehicle. I asked if they were warning new buyers that they might not be able to use their phone in their new vehicle. He said of course they aren’t saying that. Well. Maybe I’ll go stand in the showroom and start telling people that. Totally disgusted with Toyota. I’m technically out of warranty range but I wasn’t when I took my van in for the first time. Waiting to hear what others do. My local dealer supposedly talked to Toyota service headquarters and was told that replacing the audio unit would not solve the problem. They told me I have to wait for Apple to further update my iPhone. What a lame answer.
I have a 2017 Sienna as well and use an Iphone but I've already unconnected it from Bluetooth, and it still reboots. They told me it would cost $4000 to fix.. but at least it plays CDs LOL They were sure in a hurry to get me to an place that replaces them aftermarket... my car had less than 3 yrs and had 46,000 miles... Come to find out my aunt has a 2014 Corolla and had to replace her display... something is wrong if all these are failing....

101 - 120 of 127 Posts