Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Purchased a 2021 Highlander Platinum in Nov. 2020 have not had any problems with it until recently. It has 5100 miles on it. My problem is
Navigation/Radio Rebooting Constantly. Have taken it to the dealers twice and it still is doing the same thing.

They updated all the software and deleted the phones (Samsung Phones) they wanted to make sure the phones were not interfering with the unit. No improvement.

I will be returning the car tomorrow for the 3rd time. Anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
2020 Highlander Platinum - Moon Dust
478 Posts
Hi Everyone,

Purchased a 2021 Highlander Platinum in Nov. 2020 have not had any problems with it until recently. It has 5100 miles on it. My problem is
Navigation/Radio Rebooting Constantly. Have taken it to the dealers twice and it still is doing the same thing.

They updated all the software and deleted the phones (Samsung Phones) they wanted to make sure the phones were not interfering with the unit. No improvement.

I will be returning the car tomorrow for the 3rd time. Anyone else have this issue?
There could be a component issue inside the radio that is over heating causing the software to crash. Let the dealer solve it, they will likely have to replace the electrics.

·
Registered
2020 RAV4xse hybrid 2020 Highlander Pl
463 Posts
Did you have the tires rotated and then check that the TPMS was recalibrated for the new positions?

Mine reversed N-S coordinates in all 2D and 3D screens and showed the flat end instead of the pointed end of the cursor pointing in the direction of travel. Used the Setting screen to calibrate and reset the Nav to reverse direction and rotate the vehicle in the opposite direction which corrected the coordinate reversal and cursor icon. All I could figure is that it uses a front tire sensor to identify the front of the vehicle for showing the direction of the cursor icon and playing with the 2 Nav settings corrected it......worth a try.

·
Registered
115 Posts
All I could figure is that it uses a front tire sensor to identify the front of the vehicle for showing the direction of the cursor icon
Does it make sense that you'd need TPMS to figure out the direction of travel? A traditional speedometer knows how fast and in which direction a wheel is rotating - that's the most basic input required to know if you're going forward or reverse. Does the speedometer rise (for that matter, does the odometer) when travelling in reverse? For a moving map display I'd expect it to just use the velocity vector from the GPS. I have no doubt you witnessed the GPS unit glitching but it's hard to see how tying this to TPMS signals would be sensible given the simpler alternatives available. I don't know for sure but I'm struggling with Occam's razor on this one.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Does it make sense that you'd need TPMS to figure out the direction of travel? A traditional speedometer knows how fast and in which direction a wheel is rotating - that's the most basic input required to know if you're going forward or reverse.
Yes. TPMS still makes some sense to me, it's the speedometer reference that doesn't make any sense, especially since it does not indicate negative direction..The most basic input for direction is the gear selector not the speedometer which clues the ECU via drive by wire which tells the transmission which direction to rotate the wheels. My GPS signal always located the exact position of the vehicle but the map coordinates were reversed so North Up became South UP and E became W so essentially the map and direction would be correct if one was to drive standing on their head but the cursor still remained backward. i.e. the back of the cursor always faced the the direction of motion and the pointed end opposite the direction of motion whether going forward or reverse, and still faced backwards when going whether the wheels turn forward or reverse.

And maybe if one actually has an OEM Nav and bothered to looked under Settings under the NAV Calibration menu one would see two touch settings, the first button is for rotating the front of the vehicle to a specific compass point which I rotated from S to N which reversed the map direction on the screen but the vehicle cursor remained pointing backwards, and the the second calibration button is to "Select After Tire Change"......and that is when the backwards cursor was reversed. I'm at a loss to why in order to calibrate the NAV you have to press a button labeled "Select After Tire Change".....I took my best guess, but pretty sure it has nothing to do with the speedometer.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I think maybe I confused matters with the way I referred to the speedometer. The source input to the speedometer is relating both direction and rate of rotation of the tires. We know direction is a component because indicators like the speedometer and odometer ignore reverse travel. They couldn't do this if the input didn't indicate direction. Cars have had speedometers and odometers for decades, and no new tech like GPS or TPMS is required to have this information available to the car. It is the simplest and most obvious way for the car to know whether it's going in forward or reverse.

But I don't think the car is using that input to draw the moving map display; I think that's just based off GPS and nothing else. It's software-driven and thus prone to bugs, which is what I think you saw. I think it's either a coincidence or an element of the bug that when you were looking at the Select After Tire Change setting, the problem went away.

I think you may be conflating Select After Tire Change with the TPMS system in a way that's not intended. Going back to the speedometer for a moment, the input is rate of rotation not distance travelled. In order to get from rate of rotation to the velocity of the car, you need to factor in the circumference of the tire. This is where Select After Tire Change comes in - when you change your tires you may well be putting on tires that are close but not equal to the previous circumference and this will cause the speedometer to read slightly off. Toyota has provided the option to recalibrate this, and they have put the user interface for kicking off recalibration in the touch screen. It is described in the owners manual as "This function will adjust miscalculation caused by the circumference difference between the old and new tires." It doesn't mention position of the tire on the car or tire pressure, only circumference. I think TPMS is only coincidentally another system that can be affected by a tire change.

I'm still struggling with how TPMS would be in any way advantageous compared to the other, simpler options already available. The TPMS sensor in the wheel typically broadcasts its signal only once every 60-180 seconds while the vehicle is in motion. If it did it any more often than that, it would deplete its battery too quickly. This makes it highly unhelpful for detecting most reversing situations I would think?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Actually I really don't care what magic they use so long as it is working now....but, I wonder if the expiration of my free subscription service hasd anything to do by remote screwing with the software.

·
Vendor
36 Posts
Hi Everyone,

Hello
Might be better to have your original part repaired at UpFix - We save you money on rebuilding your failed electronics!

Here is the service link

·
Registered
1,092 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Highlander Plat, 2000 Camry LE
2,033 Posts
Dealer updated my radio today when I mentioned the issue of the reboots to them. Will see how it goes.

·
Registered
20 Ruby Platinum HL, 19 Lexus UX200, 17 Yaris iA
949 Posts
Dealer updated my radio today when I mentioned the issue of the reboots to them. Will see how it goes.
HUH?

The OP never reported back what the fix was.

I do not see your posting of any issues, also.

My radio just works.....aside from it getting confused with the audio source from time to time, likely because of CarPlay interactions.

·
Premium Member
2020 Highlander Plat, 2000 Camry LE
2,033 Posts
HUH?

The OP never reported back what the fix was.

I do not see your posting of any issues, also.

My radio just works.....aside from it getting confused with the audio source from time to time, likely because of CarPlay interactions.
I never reported the issue to anyone here. It has happened several times, and since my car went in for another issue, I asked them to look at it. They updated it with some new firmware. Because it happened so rarely, I hope it actually resolved it. Mine just froze up, then rebooted itself.

·
Registered
20 Ruby Platinum HL, 19 Lexus UX200, 17 Yaris iA
949 Posts
I never reported the issue to anyone here. It has happened several times, and since my car went in for another issue, I asked them to look at it. They updated it with some new firmware. Because it happened so rarely, I hope it actually resolved it. Mine just froze up, then rebooted itself.
Understand.

Mine "MAY" have done that once, perhaps twice, over the last year and half, too.

Aside from the far more frequent audio muting due to something making it change the audio source, I have no reportable issues.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts