Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've made my first visit to the dealer for a 2012 XLE.

They asked what phone and service provider I use saying that a version of the nav sys now retrives all map data over the phone. Without an unlimited data plan all that data that could be a cost issue, so it sounded like they were asking an important question re customer service and satisfaction.

Question 1) Is that the case ? A nav system with no maps ? And what if I'm out of cell range - then no maps at all ?

I think I must have misunderstood what they were telling me.

Question 2) If map data isn't retrieved via my phone then how are maps updated as new ones become available ? XM ? Paying the dealer ?

·
Registered
200 Posts
GPS System maps

The maps are all on a DVD in the GPS NAV unit. The only way that you update is to buy a new DVD when Toyota produces one. I think this happens every 2 years or so.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The maps do not come through your phone. I believe they were asking you about your cell phone's data plan due to the entune system using your phone's internet connection to run the apps on entune. They shouldn't use a whole lot of data. As for updating the maps, I would assume it's done through the USB and you will have to pay your dealer. I'm not 100% on this, either, as this is my first car with NAV and my first Toyota...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No. The 2012 navigation unit I saw does not have a DVD slot like my 2005 did. Just one slot for a music CD.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

·
2005 Camry XLE V6
284 Posts
No. The 2012 navigation unit I saw does not have a DVD slot like my 2005 did. Just one slot for a music CD.
That's because it's a Hard Drive based navigation system - no need for a DVD slot.

·
2005 Camry XLE V6
284 Posts
The maps do not come through your phone. I believe they were asking you about your cell phone's data plan due to the entune system using your phone's internet connection to run the apps on entune. They shouldn't use a whole lot of data. As for updating the maps, I would assume it's done through the USB and you will have to pay your dealer. I'm not 100% on this, either, as this is my first car with NAV and my first Toyota...
You are 100% correct. The map data is stored in the car's HDD, and new map data is available every year around fall. You can purchase it in the form of a USB drive and the dealer will be able to install it for you.

Your phone's data connection is only used to retrieve additional information to enhance your POI searches and such. Without a phone's data connection, your nav system is still functional by itself.

·
Registered
399 Posts
2012 Entune/Navigation

The non "Premium" HDD Navigations with Entune, do not use a hard disk nor a DVD. They are based on solid state memory (flash) which is more reliable than mechanical system (older HDD system from past is offered for the 2012 just because it "looks" better, no DVD based system is offered - problems with such if you forget the DVD inside during a very hot summer and the DVD disk gets deformed from the heat...).

The navigation upgrade will have a fee I believe, though the rest of the Entune applications can be updated free over the air of by first download to a USB flash memory. Such updates of the Entune applications in the future, do not include the internal navigation which is separate though is using same display as all is integrated within one platform.

Above is my initial understanding - just got my new 2012 Camry Hybrid XLE few days ago - love it (42-43 MPGs cold outside temp of 30 degrees and under, and still doing the break in, driving in Eco mode, so not to stress the car too much at first).

I believe the HDD Nav can store songs on the hard disk but really any USB flash memory can do so with much better reliability (and faster access actually though it does not matter). I do not know how large the disk is though. For USB memory - you can get 4GB or more with no problem, that will be more than enough to store 1000 or more MP3 songs.

Hope this is helpful.

·
Go Bolts!
1,143 Posts
The non "Premium" HDD Navigations with Entune, do not use a hard disk nor a DVD. They are based on solid state memory (flash) which is more reliable than mechanical system (older HDD system from past is offered for the 2012 just because it "looks" better, no DVD based system is offered - problems with such if you forget the DVD inside during a very hot summer and the DVD disk gets deformed from the heat...).

The navigation upgrade will have a fee I believe, though the rest of the Entune applications can be updated free over the air of by first download to a USB flash memory. Such updates of the Entune applications in the future, do not include the internal navigation which is separate though is using same display as all is integrated within one platform.

Above is my initial understanding - just got my new 2012 Camry Hybrid XLE few days ago - love it (42-43 MPGs cold outside temp of 30 degrees and under, and still doing the break in, driving in Eco mode, so not to stress the car too much at first).

I believe the HDD Nav can store songs on the hard disk but really any USB flash memory can do so with much better reliability (and faster access actually though it does not matter). I do not know how large the disk is though. For USB memory - you can get 4GB or more with no problem, that will be more than enough to store 1000 or more MP3 songs.

Hope this is helpful.
This is not true per Toyota. I just spoke with a product technical administrator regarding the non-Premium HDD nav (the Display Audio wEntune & nav) and he told me both nav systems in the 2012 Camry's are hard drive based units - the difference is the head units and software.

·
Registered
399 Posts
HDD vs. Flash (SSD) Nav units

This is not true per Toyota. I just spoke with a product technical administrator regarding the non-Premium HDD nav (the Display Audio wEntune & nav) and he told me both nav systems in the 2012 Camry's are hard drive based units - the difference is the head units and software.
HDD stands for Hard Disk Drive. The 7 inch display unit is different and had been ported from a previous Toyota Camry version/Lexus. The 6.1 inch unit with Navigation has a solid state drive (Flash). So the storage medium itself is different not just the software and the head units. Administrators may not know that much as technical people... :)

·
Go Bolts!
1,143 Posts
HDD stands for Hard Disk Drive. The 7 inch display unit is different and had been ported from a previous Toyota Camry version/Lexus. The 6.1 inch unit with Navigation has a solid state drive (Flash). So the storage medium itself is different not just the software and the head units. Administrators may not know that much as technical people... :)
And exactly how do you know this for fact??? I specifically asked whether or not it was a flash drive based system and was told it was not, that it also was hard drive based. This was a technical person assigned to my case. I spent a 1/2 hour on the phone discussing the technology and features of the system.

BTW - one of my previous job titles included the word "administrator" even though it was a highly technical position - it is a title not necessarily indicative of the actual job knowledge or technical expertise.

·
Registered
399 Posts
And exactly how do you know this for fact??? I specifically asked whether or not it was a flash drive based system and was told it was not, that it also was hard drive based. This was a technical person assigned to my case. I spent a 1/2 hour on the phone discussing the technology and features of the system.

BTW - one of my previous job titles included the word "administrator" even though it was a highly technical position - it is a title not necessarily indicative of the actual job knowledge or technical expertise.
Well not trying to discredit you or anyone else but... I am quite a technical person myself ... no moving parts inside the 6.1 inch Entune/Nav system (vs. a HDD which is mechanical). You can try search with Google to find more info if you wish. If you disagree, that is fine... You can believe what you wish... solid state disk drives do not have moving parts (SSD) and are based on special dense memory technology called Flash. You can try using Google with terms "flash memory" and Entune and find a few references. I did a quick one for you and found this discussion: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-20064860-48.html - go to the navigation flash based section/pictures (its Prius v but its same unit as we have in the 2012 Camry).

Cheers!

·
Registered
60 Posts
no moving parts inside the 6.1 inch Entune/Nav system
That's not entirely true. In my Display Audio with Entune unit in my 2012 Camry Hybrid XLE, there is SOMETHING in the unit that makes a humming sound. It can be heard with the car in accessory mode or on, but with everything turned off.

I haven't spent enough time listening to be 100% certain, but I think it is a cooling fan. If it IS a fan, I can easily see how someone could hear it and come to the conclusion that there is a hard drive inside the unit.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Entune/Nav does have a CD still...

That's not entirely true. In my Display Audio with Entune unit in my 2012 Camry Hybrid XLE, there is SOMETHING in the unit that makes a humming sound. It can be heard with the car in accessory mode or on, but with everything turned off.

I haven't spent enough time listening to be 100% certain, but I think it is a cooling fan. If it IS a fan, I can easily see how someone could hear it and come to the conclusion that there is a hard drive inside the unit.
Oops my bad, the unit still comes with a CD... so that *is* a moving part :) I meant the navigation based on Flash Memory.... :) It could be a fan too as you wrote...

I also have Hybrid XLE and have no humming sound... maybe the CD malfunctioned and spins all the time? You may want to check it.. or insert a CD into the slot there and see what happens then eject... maybe this will clear it... if not... well... need go to dealer.. the CD is the only thing that has a motor that can spin/make noise... especially when you described that all is off/on Aux power...

The previous post referred to discussions with a Toyota Tech Admin who has advised both Nav based type of units are HDD based.... that is the point I was referring to as not accurate as the 6.1 inch screen unit is flash memory based.

Of course a cooling fan that is always on is strange... but could be... though in the cold winter it should not be always on... and certainly should be quiet... so could be that the fan is malfunction. But you may be hearing some other fan noise... not from Entune/Nav unit itself?

·
TN Member
5,461 Posts

The DA unit is flash-based and only the 7" Premium AVN is HDD-based. Straight from Toyota HQ when I was there for the Prius v and Entune demos last July.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I went to check your theory of the CD motor, and that is probably the first and last time I will ever use the CD player (why use one disk when the iPod holds everything). The sound is not the CD player. However, the sound is not consistent. When I went to try the CD player in the car, the system was not making any noise, but it also hadn't been used in a couple of hours. But I also know I heard it today after my 45 minute drive home, using the system. I'm going to start paying more attention to see when it does/doesn't make noise. (but that all really does make me think even more that it is a fan)

·
Registered
399 Posts
I went to check your theory of the CD motor, and that is probably the first and last time I will ever use the CD player (why use one disk when the iPod holds everything). The sound is not the CD player. However, the sound is not consistent. When I went to try the CD player in the car, the system was not making any noise, but it also hadn't been used in a couple of hours. But I also know I heard it today after my 45 minute drive home, using the system. I'm going to start paying more attention to see when it does/doesn't make noise. (but that all really does make me think even more that it is a fan)
Hummm... sounds like the noise comes from the engine cooler fan not the Entune fan if there is such a thing, after you turn car off. You need try yourself a few times and if not go to the dealer. Was riving for 2 hours trips in hot weather and no such noises....or maybe it has to do with the converter / battery that needs cooling. Something does not sound right - you better check this one ASAP.

·
Go Bolts!
1,143 Posts
Ok, my apologies as I sent an e-mail to the person I spoke to at Toyota yesterday and he obviously used the wrong terminology by saying both navs had hard drives. He clarified his statement by saying The Display Audio nav uses flash memory but it is inside the extension module not like a flash card that you can remove - so basically it is like an enclosed hard drive. It would be helpful if Toyota's technical people would use the correct terminology when answering a specific question like I asked, "What type of storage medium does the Display Audio use?" :headbang:

For those interested:

The 6.1" Display Audio nav has a Harman Becker nav computer and an 8 GB flash memory

The 7" prem HDD nav has a Fujitsu Ten nav computer and a Denso 80 GB hard disk drive

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
About this Discussion
74 Replies
31 Participants
mrkenny1
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing