Toyota Nation Forum banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
The second dealership I went to said they had done a total of 5 updates (clearly they update their customers for free since they couldn't believe I'd paid for it). The first one... not sure since the only guy who can do them was out sick, but based on the total cluelessness of everyone else, I would think the number is very, very low. Maybe none.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I had the map update performed yesterday while getting my 24 month maintenance done. They took the car back about 10:40 a.m. to take care of everything. The service liaison came to me about 11:30 saying that the technician was having "connectivity issues" and it would be about 1:00 before he was done...well, I ended up driving away at 3:00

I do know that was the first update done at the dealer, so maybe he just didn't know what the hell he was doing and was winging it as he went along. I told him that I was sure that the next update would be a lot quicker since I was the test case

·
Registered
27 Posts
latest info on this?

We kind of gave up getting any kind of help with our Hybrid 2012 XLE...but, before I trade the car, I thought I would take another shot in here to see if there are any ideas/updates. I gave up on the local dealers.....totally clueless. I have written Toyota and always get a "buh-bye" type of form letter.

So, has anyone gotten an update at a dealer which actually works and has addresses of new buildings put up in this century? Maybe I need to go back and read all kinds of posts, but I am being lazy. :laugh:

·
Registered
795 Posts
I just look thru this thread and yet to find answer on how to update my 2012 SE Nav to the latest map available. I called the dealer and the guy don't have a clue and said will get back when he has the answer.

·
Registered
22 Posts
its a usb update they do. i had it done about two years ago i havent went back for the latest update yet. But it takes about 45 min and they have to get some secret code in order to initiate the download to usb.

·
Registered
58 Posts
its a usb update they do. i had it done about two years ago i havent went back for the latest update yet. But it takes about 45 min and they have to get some secret code in order to initiate the download to usb.
It's a little more complicated than that. When I had mine updated a couple of years ago, they had to be online with Toyota at the same time as they were installing from USB. It's a means to control people pirating the update. So how it worked was that I ordered the update (USB key) from the Parts department. It took a couple of weeks to come in. They called me when it did and I had to make an appointment with the Service Department to install it. It took about 2 hours for them to get my car back to me.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just so you're not surprised, ask the date of the information the upgrade contains. In 2013 when I updated, the map information was from 2010. Three years is a big gap in time IMO. I'm glad I did it, but keep in mind there is a big time lag, even when you have the latest and greatest update.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It's a little more complicated than that. When I had mine updated a couple of years ago, they had to be online with Toyota at the same time as they were installing from USB. It's a means to control people pirating the update. So how it worked was that I ordered the update (USB key) from the Parts department. It took a couple of weeks to come in. They called me when it did and I had to make an appointment with the Service Department to install it. It took about 2 hours for them to get my car back to me.

Thats what i meant by the secret code. The usb was already there so i didnt have to wait for them to order it at my dealership. But they basically said all the time is due to them having to get that key from the main hub to input with the update to unlock it so to speak so as to not get pirated so easily like you stated. still its a simple install besides waiting on corporate for the key.

·
Go Bolts!
1,143 Posts
How much did it cost?

·
Registered
2 Posts
USB Update 2012 Camry Atara SL

Hi All

This thread was a great read and answers why I have had no success with a DVD update.
Please see below link RE USB Update to a Lexus.
It is in 4 parts not in English but gives you an idea of the process involved.

The only other process I have found is this.

The special code you are all referring to I believe is to unlock the internal HDD.
As it is locked by default.
This is demonstrated in the video.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Coincidently I was at my dealership about 2 weeks ago and I asked the Parts Dept. guy how much the GPS update was and he told me that they're still charging $169. He couldn't tell me the date of the update, though. He said "this year" and that might be the year Toyota made the update available, but the information is still likely a couple of years older than that.

My dealership has not had any Black Friday parts or service deals before, but I might keep my eye out to see if they do this year. If I could get an update for $65 that would be a heck of a good deal - for Toyota, anyway.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Coincidently I was at my dealership about 2 weeks ago and I asked the Parts Dept. guy how much the GPS update was and he told me that they're still charging $169. He couldn't tell me the date of the update, though. He said "this year" and that might be the year Toyota made the update available, but the information is still likely a couple of years older than that.

My dealership has not had any Black Friday parts or service deals before, but I might keep my eye out to see if they do this year. If I could get an update for $65 that would be a heck of a good deal - for Toyota, anyway.
Here in Australia they want $360 to do the update to version 23 tom tom/whereis maps.
That price is just for the part not including install.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts
About this Discussion
74 Replies
31 Participants
mrkenny1
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing