Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know if there's a way to change the settings in my Highlander's factory nav system so I can program an address into it while the vehicle is moving? Factory settings only allow input of an address when the vehicle is sitting still, and this is very inconvenient. Acura's nav system is MUCH more user friendly!!

·
Hoosier HL
90 Posts
hey, there is nothing within your system you can change to remove the nanny's ability to keep you from typing while moving. Some people (do a search...) have used black boxes that fool the sensor into thinking the vehicle is moving really slow, keeping the nanny at bay, but you'll want to read those posts to get a feel for the effects it can have on the system as a whole... some people also have a dvd workaround, however i think it's kind of a hassle because you have to do something each time you start the vehicle to get it to work... good luck, if you find anything different than these two ideas, reply back so the gang here can see what you've found.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I am waiting for a lock pick that will help solve this problem in a convenient way. Should be here anyday.

Basically it is a harness that plugs between the vehicle and the nav. There is a button that you mount in one of the blank switches on the dash. When you want to unlock it, you push the button. You have 5 minutes to do your thing, then it locks again, or you can push the button again and it locks and reacquires your position.

The penalty is that the position on the map does not update until it locks again. Basically it stops the pulses telling it the truck is moving. Stupid Nanny NAV does not believe the GPS signal and uses the speed pulses instead of GPS. It should not be a big deal since you putting in an address, but I'll have to live with it for a while before I decide if it is or is not effective.

Supposed to unlock video too, but I don't have that myself.

Another solution is the burn the disk hack, but that is a PITA to me. You can also enter an address by voice while moving. But even with all the STUPID prompts turned off, it is still a PITA.

Be patient and I will post results.

When I got my JD Power's survey I really blasted Toyota for that Nanny NAV, between the stinking lock, crummy voice recogniction prompts, the crappy routes it picks, and the $300 map updates, the $200 Garmin I used to have is far superior.

Maybe if we all keep telling the reviewers like it is they will eventually change.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys. Sounds like a general PITA to get around something so seemingly simple. Guess I should have kept the MDX instead of buying the new HL. Oh well. I'll keep searching, and if I find any other solutions, I'll let you know. ;)

·
Registered
76 Posts
The black box pulse generator works perfectly. I have been using mine for over a year. It sends a pulse to mimic going 1-3 mph to the NAV. If you interrupt the speed pulse to the NAV completely by cutting the brown speed wire in the NAV harness or any other method that does not show a speed slow enough to allow operation but not fast enought to shut off menu, the NAV will know by GPS and WILL SHUT OFF menu.

I am not sure if the guy I purchased mine from is still around. I will take a look in my emails. It does require you interrupt the speed wire to the NAV either behind the NAV or in the harness behind the glove box with a switch for it to work. No side effects as long as I have been using.

·
Hoosier HL
90 Posts
^^^^^^

Can I ask, I see you said no side effects, the black box you have doesn't mess with guestimated driving times from the Nav directions? I'd also like the info of the guy you got the box from, I'd be willing to do the install if there have been no side effects... does yours have a permenent switch, or momentary push button style like mentioned a few posts above....

·
Registered
08 Highlander Ltd
3 Posts
Bootleg Nav disk??

I heard from a Toyota factory rep that there are NAV disks which allow the user to operate the system while driving... it's a bootleg disk of sorts.

Haven't seen it myself or know if it truely works... just something I heard. Trying to find one myself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts