Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've been lurking for awhile and am getting ready to pull the trigger on a 2010 SE 6MT after owning 12 Hondas. I'll talk more about that some other time. . .

I have a few NAVI questions that I couldn't get answers to searching . . .

1) How annoying is the lockout when moving? What all is locked out? In my Honda, I can search for waypoints, use the phone, . . . everything. I'm always fiddling with something in NAVI on long road trips. And it doesn't seem too safe to me to have to pull over and stop the car on the highway just to add a waypoint. :thumbsdow

2) This link came up when I was searching: http://www.coastaletech.com/DELUXE_LOCKPICK.htm but there weren't any comments about the product itself. Has anyone used this? How successful was it? Does it work as advertised?

3) Another thread mentioned turning off the lockout via the service menu. How do you access that? I've seen the threads about the "secret taps". Does anyone know if these tricks will still work on the 2010 models?

4) Has anyone come from another OEM NAVI system or a portable Gramin, Tom Tom etc... to Toyota? What are your general likes/dislikes for the Toyota system compared to other systems you've used?

Your comments are appreciated. As much as I prefer having the in dash NAVI, I might just pass on it and stick with my portable depending on the feedback I get. Tks in advance for the info.

·
Registered
2009 Toyota Camry SE
28 Posts
+1

Just get a garmin, I was going to get the toyota navi but not worth it for the price. Plus the garmins portable to bring from car to car.
Ya I agree with you. Trippp, Just get garmin:thumbsup: don't get OEM Nav.:thumbsdow

·
Registered
8,415 Posts
I use my iPhone, and I heard the next update will have turn-by-turn navigation. :D

It's faster than Garmin.

·
Paul_09WhiteV6
09 XLE V6 White
6,677 Posts
I use my iPhone, and I heard the next update will have turn-by-turn navigation. :D

It's faster than Garmin.
hehe i actually have had phones with navigation built in for a while now. like 2 years. the old htc i had was big so had a full sirf star III navigation built in with tomtom. i actually still have one of my htc with tomtom built in. also have navi in my camry but don't use it much. the maps app and that turn by turn app in cydia are great.

if u want original navi then get the original. the over ride will most likely work and you have access to phone and setting your destination while driving(phone and destination are off above 10mph i believe.) but it might not be at first if the version of the navi disk is new. for question 2 i believe those things are really not worth it because u can do the over ride for the cost of a dual layer dvd (and dual layer burner if you dont have 1). once u have over ride you can get into the system menu so that you can use all functions while driving. search around and you'll find more info about the over ride and such.

on going from tomtom to toyota... well it depends on your needs. toyota has bigger screen and of course everything is integrated. its about the same.

·
Intelligent Donkey
2005 Chevy Malibu
113 Posts
Hey guys,

I've been lurking for awhile and am getting ready to pull the trigger on a 2010 SE 6MT after owning 12 Hondas. I'll talk more about that some other time. . .

I have a few NAVI questions that I couldn't get answers to searching . . .

1) How annoying is the lockout when moving? What all is locked out? In my Honda, I can search for waypoints, use the phone, . . . everything. I'm always fiddling with something in NAVI on long road trips. And it doesn't seem too safe to me to have to pull over and stop the car on the highway just to add a waypoint. :thumbsdow

I have installed the overide disc. It works, I will tell you that the factory Toyota system is not as good as the Honda system that is in my wifes 2006 Ody. And I don't like the Honda system as much as I do a good Garmin. I wanted the bluetooth, which rocks, and since I do 5000 miles a month, I thought the integrated GPS would be the way to go. Toyota voice recognition is horrible, and the menu's require you to select, then select ok. I would not go out of my way to get a car with GPS next time.

2) This link came up when I was searching: http://www.coastaletech.com/DELUXE_LOCKPICK.htm but there weren't any comments about the product itself. Has anyone used this? How successful was it? Does it work as advertised?

3) Another thread mentioned turning off the lockout via the service menu. How do you access that? I've seen the threads about the "secret taps". Does anyone know if these tricks will still work on the 2010 models?

No one will know for a while, I have a 2009 and it works fine.

4) Has anyone come from another OEM NAVI system or a portable Gramin, Tom Tom etc... to Toyota? What are your general likes/dislikes for the Toyota system compared to other systems you've used?

See above.

Your comments are appreciated. As much as I prefer having the in dash NAVI, I might just pass on it and stick with my portable depending on the feedback I get. Tks in advance for the info.
I will tell you that I really like my car. I was looking at a Honda as well, and I have not been disappointed with my Toyota. There are three things that I love about my car, I get over 28 MPG since buying my car in August and logging 37,000 miles. Online I saw that Honda's were not getting the MPG that I saw what Toyotas were getting.

The car rides great, is very quiet. I noticed that the Honda was noisy, just like my wifes Honda.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies. While I prefer the OEM NAVI for looks, cleaner integration, . . . I'm leaning towards getting a portable. Not my first choice but I don't think I could deal with the lockout after having a number of Honda NAVIs.

Every new Accord I've purchased was always a little nicer than the one before. My 2006 was AWESOME. I loved that car. I assumed (wrongly) the 2008 would be even better. I can't stand the 2008. :thumbsdow Too big. Missing features that the previous gen had. And more . . .

The next logical step would have been a TSX or TL but I can't get passed the busy styling with that front @$$, er, snow plow, I mean, power plenum thing that hangs off the front of the Acuras now. :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

And like someone mentioned, even fuel mileage (a long time Honda forte) isn't what it used to be. I used to get 38mpg on the hwy consistently even breaking 40/41 a handful of times. Outstanding. The new 4cyl are lucky to break 29hwy. :thumbsdow the new 2010 Camry SE with 6MT is rated at 22city/33hwy :thumbsup: like my previous Accord. I bet it'll easily do mid to high 30s with light throttle on the hwy.

I'll miss the Honda NAVI but that's about it. If I was able to find a clean, certified pre-owned 06/07 Accord, 5MT/NAVI, I would actually trade backwards.

Anyway, I'm off topic . . . . Thanks again for the replies. Hoping to hang out here in the future. Eyeing a 20mm rear sway upgrade already . . . :naughty:

·
Paul_09WhiteV6
09 XLE V6 White
6,677 Posts
Thanks for the replies. While I prefer the OEM NAVI for looks, cleaner integration, . . . I'm leaning towards getting a portable. Not my first choice but I don't think I could deal with the lockout after having a number of Honda NAVIs.

Every new Accord I've purchased was always a little nicer than the one before. My 2006 was AWESOME. I loved that car. I assumed (wrongly) the 2008 would be even better. I can't stand the 2008. :thumbsdow Too big. Missing features that the previous gen had. And more . . .

The next logical step would have been a TSX or TL but I can't get passed the busy styling with that front @$$, er, snow plow, I mean, power plenum thing that hangs off the front of the Acuras now. :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

And like someone mentioned, even fuel mileage (a long time Honda forte) isn't what it used to be. I used to get 38mpg on the hwy consistently even breaking 40/41 a handful of times. Outstanding. The new 4cyl are lucky to break 29hwy. :thumbsdow the new 2010 Camry SE with 6MT is rated at 22city/33hwy :thumbsup: like my previous Accord. I bet it'll easily do mid to high 30s with light throttle on the hwy.

I'll miss the Honda NAVI but that's about it. If I was able to find a clean, certified pre-owned 06/07 Accord, 5MT/NAVI, I would actually trade backwards.

Anyway, I'm off topic . . . . Thanks again for the replies. Hoping to hang out here in the future. Eyeing a 20mm rear sway upgrade already . . . :naughty:
go to your local dealership and mess around with the navi. its not all that bad. it locks out the phone but u can dial with voice or speed dial. it won't let you put in destination while driving but who needs that when you are supposed to be looking at the road anyway. the over ride isn't half bad. if ur creative u can fake a speed sensor and have the navi working fully all the time. i had a 07 camry xle v6 with everything but navi and now i have a 09 with navi. to be honest its nice to have it built in because its convenient, you can have a phonebook setup which the regular radio doesn't let you, and it makes the inside look a lot better.

if u dont want the oem navi because of the limitations, then u can get a aftermarket one that looks like original but has none of the draw backs of the original and plus i think it even uses the tomtom software or something similar. includes backup camera and all. it ain't original but i think would suit you best.

·
Registered
369 Posts
it won't let you put in destination while driving but who needs that when you are supposed to be looking at the road anyway.
I do! When my wife and I are out driving or on a trip we usually want to find a place for food or coffee. She is the co-pilot and not driving so allowing her to input would be an acceptable and desireable feature. Seat already senses there is a butt sitting there so not too hard for them to design that in.:thumbsup:
Toyota, YOU"RE NOT MY MOTHER.;)

·
Paul_09WhiteV6
09 XLE V6 White
6,677 Posts
I do! When my wife and I are out driving or on a trip we usually want to find a place for food or coffee. She is the co-pilot and not driving so allowing her to input would be an acceptable and desireable feature. Seat already senses there is a butt sitting there so not too hard for them to design that in.:thumbsup:
Toyota, YOU"RE NOT MY MOTHER.;)
true. thats why theres the over ride available :lol: what i usually do is have the person input while im at a light or something like that because then all functions are available.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
true. thats why theres the over ride available :lol: what i usually do is have the person input while im at a light or something like that because then all functions are available.
Have I misread some of the other threads . . . I thought that the override wouldn't work on the 2008 and 2009 models? But is that referring to the Hybrid disk or the "secret taps" / service menu?

·
Paul_09WhiteV6
09 XLE V6 White
6,677 Posts
Have I misread some of the other threads . . . I thought that the override wouldn't work on the 2008 and 2009 models? But is that referring to the Hybrid disk or the "secret taps" / service menu?
read a bit more into it... if u have the newer dvds(6.1 or newer i think) then u don't have the service menu so u need to eather buy a cd that has ur dvd version with the over ride added or create a dvd with the over ride added. it involves using one file from the older disks along with the rest of the files from your disk then u can do the over ride.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts