Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is it possible to update the maps in a 2005 camry gps without losing all my locations??? Ver 15.1 86271-gen04-15 for Camry 04-06

·
Go Bolts!
1,143 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
I just use my phone for navigation. No need to update and works just as good. Yea the radio is nicer but not worth the price to me.

·
Joined the dark side. :D
5,745 Posts
I just use my phone for navigation. No need to update and works just as good. Yea the radio is nicer but not worth the price to me.
it does drain the phone battery. Can't call for help if your phone is dead.

and than you can't use the GPS while on the phone, via-versa.

I just use the regular GPS instead of the nav. But the down side to GPS is it depend all on the signal, which not good when in tunnel. With nav it connect to your car too so it doesn't fully depend on signal.

My smartphone don't have data but it does have offline GPS called HERE. And always have a stand by GPS. And than I have the battery to jump my car too which can also plug in my phone to charge if needed. Oh, and my phone is a dummy flip phone. It doesn't do anything but make phone calls. :lol: it's quick to charge and it last for days.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just contacted a Toyota dealer and was told that the map update is on an sd card that has to be replaced. Anyone replace one of these in a 2103 Camry??

·
Registered
795 Posts
I asked my local Toyota dealer and they said the map update and labor will cost me about $300 for my 2012 SE, and it's done via the USB in front of the center cupholders. The map update should be free of charge for life of the car when purchased with OEM Navi options, otherwise no one would want to buy this options knowing how much it cost to do so.

Currently I research on this item.

It's $450, it can do everything the OEM can and lots more. It's like have an Android tablet and never have to deal with the greedy dealers.

·
5,745 Posts
There is the GPS.......... the portable version. And there is Navigation...... the none portable in car version. I think the reason for calling it Navigation is also it connects more than just sitting in your car. GPS is just sitting in your car.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I asked my local Toyota dealer and they said the map update and labor will cost me about $300 for my 2012 SE, and it's done via the USB in front of the center cupholders. The map update should be free of charge for life of the car when purchased with OEM Navi options, otherwise no one would want to buy this options knowing how much it cost to do so.

Currently I research on this item.

It's $450, it can do everything the OEM can and lots more. It's like have an Android tablet and never have to deal with the greedy dealers.
That's what I'm using. For the last over a year without problems but don't expect BT it's not as good as stock. All other are great

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
197 Posts
Mainly now use for an easy to see live map

I have a 4 year old XLE with maps that are probably over 4.5 years old. I won't even think about paying $200-300 for a map upgrade, since I have a decent Galaxy smartphone with the latest Google maps that I can "dial up by voice" much better than the Toyota search. So if I'm in a strange place I'll just show the map on the Camry display that can better show where I'm going than looking at the phone. I'm assuming looking at my display map for a split second is legal, although a recent news report stated that in MN during April don't drive distracted month, troopers can stop you for eating, drinking coffee and even punching in a new radio station. Seems to be going a bit too far, since most at least sipping coffee and scanning radio stations can be done not taking your eyes off the road.

·
Registered
43 Posts
No sir unfortunately I didn't make any DIY . But every thing is kinda simple, it's all PnP all you got to do is remove the stock radio. The only tricky part is pay attention to the CANBUS decoder there are 2 black wires which need to plug into the canbus adapter the 2 wires which also attached to USB ipod adapter wires are bundle together IIRC all factory functions are retaining via canbus decoder

·
Registered
795 Posts
I wouldn't even pay a nickel for those Stealer to update that. ..........thing they called GPS

+1 That's why I'm thinking of an aftermarket unit with lifetime free GPS upgrade from Android. The only draw back I see is the one I'm looking at doesn't have TPMS, I like that feature.

·
5,745 Posts
I wouldn't even pay a nickel for those Stealer to update that. ..........thing they called GPS

Ebay could help.

And no, they don't call them GPS. They are called Navigation. I don't have proof yet but I think Navigation hook into the car and could tell you are turning the wheel and speed of the car instead of depend on GPS signal.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ebay could help.

And no, they don't call them GPS. They are called Navigation. I don't have proof yet but I think Navigation hook into the car and could tell you are turning the wheel and speed of the car instead of depend on GPS signal.
You're totally misleading what am trying to say. ......unfortunately

21 - 40 of 42 Posts
About this Discussion
41 Replies
19 Participants
FormerUSAF
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing