Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
2GR FTW
2007 Toyota Camry SE
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I broke a lug nut onto a stud on a rear wheel. Had to drill it out and crack the stud. Now I need a new wheel stud as a replacement. Is it a wheel stud or a wheel bolt?

Is #5 the correct one? It's considered a wheel bolt and costs about $2.50.

This is for a Gen6 Camry V6.

·
"Everyone Lies"
camry 5gen
2,033 Posts
yeh that one. I had to do that twice -_-

Pretty straight forward to replace

·
2GR FTW
2007 Toyota Camry SE
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It just pops out and pops back in right, no need to disassemble the whole hub?

·
"Everyone Lies"
camry 5gen
2,033 Posts
It just pops out and pops back in right, no need to disassemble the whole hub?
juss take out the rotor
and then look at the brake dust shield thing
there is an opening where the bolt can slide out
juss turn the hub to the correct spot and hammer it out

i think putting the new one in is harder haha

or any repair shop, its a quick and easy fix
local mom and pop wheel/alignment place wanted 30$...
:ugh3:

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Thats so sad, and they wonder why they get bought out.

Let me know how that works out for you, because one of mine is a little spun so i might change it before i put the rims back on.

·
Registered
2008 Camry hybrid
610 Posts
juss take out the rotor
and then look at the brake dust shield thing
there is an opening where the bolt can slide out
juss turn the hub to the correct spot and hammer it out

i think putting the new one in is harder haha

local mom and pop wheel/alignment place wanted 30$...
:ugh3:
I'd be careful with a hammer - you can booger up the bearings and races all too easily by attacking with that kind of force; all depends on how 'lucky' you feel; trashing a set of bearings or a hub to save a few minutes isn't a worthwhile risk for me. A safer alternative would be a 'C' clamp with a socket to PRESS the broken stud out of the hub. Or take the hub off and put into a hydraulic press to press the stud out.

·
Registered
2008 Camry hybrid
610 Posts
if you have c clamp or hydraulic press...

One of the right size is <$10 at Harbor Freight. Lots cheaper than a new hub/bearing assembly.:D

Example: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=37850 for the c-clamp.

http://www.am-autoparts.com/AM/Rear..._medium=cpc&utm_campaign=new_google_base_feed for the hub-and-bearing assembly.

Don't get me wrong - sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. But the new bearings are surprisingly delicate and not all that tolerant of the sort of abuse that the old school bearings took in stride. Given the cost of the part, I'd rather not take a chance on damaging the bearing, the race, or the hub. And pounding the old stud, especially if there is any rust on the assembly, creates a fair amount of danger for significantly shortening the life of the assembly.

So, back to the original post: soak the broken stud with penetrating oil. Put a air impact socket over the back of the stud, the c-clamp over the socket and the remaining stubby. Twist the clamp until the stubby falls out. :cool:

·
Maven
3,070 Posts
If the stud is broken off flush then use a large hammer and a large drift to punch it out. One wack will generally do it. To install a new one you need to get it started squarely and that can be done easily if you get a stack of flat washers that will fit over the stud. Insert the stud from the rear, stack a bunch of washers on the rotor side of the bolt beyond the point where the thread ends and then add the lug nut, upside down, so that the flat side faces down. Tighten the nut and let it draw the lug bolt into the knirled hole. Remove the lug nut and washers. Install rotor and wheel.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts