Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
CAMRY '95
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. Lets begin with me saying that i need new headers for increasing horsepower and torque. So far i have seen headers for the Gen 3 5SFE from Bosal and some other one for about 500 bucks. Thats too much for me. So i was thinking either buy this headers from OBX 1991-1995 Toyota MR2 Non-Turbo. I cracked open the headers and they look like they have the same flange. The only problem is will it fit.

I could always get the oldheader and make a custom one or buy the one from bosal.
How much are custom headers?

So guys, what do you think? Will it fit?
Thanks for the replys.

Obx headers @ http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-EXHAUST-HEADER-HEADERS-91-95-TOYOTA-MR2-NON-TURBO_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33631QQitemZ8023850526QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
if link does not work just type "obx headers mr2" in ebay

·
Turbo S2000 FTMFW
2005 Honda S2000
2,047 Posts
why is that in bold print?

Headers are not cheap, no matter what you do you're prolly looking at a couple hundred (unless you do the welding and such yourself). As far as the MR2 headers fitting, i dunno, but since the mr2 wears its engine on the other side of the passenger compartment, i'd venture a guess that it won't fit properly in a camry.

·
Lex Zues!
95 Camry
4,900 Posts
They will fit. but they are a piece of crap. They will crack. They weld 2 different metals together. So beware. I posted the same topic awhile back.

·
Registered
CAMRY '95
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting guys, RedPhoenix and zoni, thanks for your helpfulness

·
Lex Zues!
95 Camry
4,900 Posts
Thats true. But a lot of guys on mr2oc and celicatech say they are nice when they get them but go back to the stock manifold cause they have cracked.

·
93 240sx SR Hatch
1999 Solara
6,575 Posts
I love my Ripp headers, but I know theyre getting more and more difficult to get a hold of... I guess you get what you pay for sometimes. good luck:thumbup:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Technncally it is "header".. no "s"..... if the car was a V6 and there were two tubular exhaust manifolds on the engine then you could refer to them as headers... ;)

That being said.. how many companies manufacture a header for the 2.2?

·
I'm a Mac
DD - 94 Mitsu 3000GT
4,062 Posts
we just made the 5sfe CAI prototype last week. it is now in the hands of the mandrel bender so we can get a final product made in aluminum. we used a K&N filter on the prototype and eit sounded AWESOME. cant wait to see what we get back from the mandrel bender.
after that, it is CAI for 1mz, then exhausts for 5sfe and 1mz, then headers.

·
Registered
CAMRY '95
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Screw it im making it custom. so whats the materials going to have this thing made out of?

·
Registered
camry
182 Posts
well i am less inclined to get it because of the price and more because i am afraid they will stop making them. Now if i could just find someone selling the stage 1 supercharger....

·
Registered
96 Camry LE
106 Posts
:naughty: Never going to happen

But you should call Ripp to see if they still have the tuners package. If you are really serious about this, that should be your holy grail. Or get UfoZ turbo kit, it works out to be about the same cost in the end. Actually, go with The turbo if you are looking to save money, the Ripp stuff needs their header (wich you should just get from RichieRichJP and love him for it) and the also needs all the fuel management and delivery system ($500+ or so).

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
keylogger said:
Screw it im making it custom. so whats the materials going to have this thing made out of?

First you are going to need a machine shop to either CNC machine or laser-cut a flange for you. Then you are going to have to decide what material you are going to use for piping (aluminized steel, mild steel, stainless steel or forged steel). Then pick a pipng size and then you are goign to have to decide if you want 4-1 or 4-2-1 design. Then you have to just go ahead and design it and weld it up. Good luck!

·
Registered
camry
182 Posts
Trnd Chemeleon said:
get UfoZ turbo kit, it works out to be about the same cost in the end. Actually, go with The turbo if you are looking to save money, the Ripp stuff needs their header (wich you should just get from RichieRichJP and love him for it) and the also needs all the fuel management and delivery system ($500+ or so).
The only problem again is that by the time i have money, his kit will probably also be gone. Plus with his second blown engine with it, i am not comfortable with it. i don't have THAT much money.

And i tink you should throw in the towel with making the headers and just buy some. Unless you have some pretty good connections in the industry, they will cost you about 500 bucks anyway...

·
Registered
96 Camry LE
106 Posts
Look, I don't want to be rude, but why are you going to spend this kind of money on your car when you don't read up on it ( due diligence).

UfoZ blew up his motor due to the head gasket. If you get a better one it should be fine, just stick to low boost (same with Ripp Mods, if I go to the 9+ PSI range right off the bat, I'll blow my motor too). If you take it easy at first and build up your motor you should be fine to go to the upper levels.

Just because Allen blew up HIS motor with the kit, doesn't mean you will. That's not how it works. (Although boosting will def. increase chances of problems.) If you are really serious about your car, then I want you to have as much fun with it as possible. But if you have more money than understanding, please leave the parts alone. This is becomming super rare stuff. Getting the last Ripp blower or Allens turbo setup is pretty huge right now.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts