Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: Hi, This is my first post and need some advice, I'm lost when it comes to these imports and don't know which way to go yet.
I have an 87 Tercel FWD wagon with approx 220k miles on it, it has a 3A-C series. 1.5L 8 valve SOHC and had a new timing belt put on at 144k.
I have two main problems,

first is when turning right there is a kind of bumping-notching sound. This had happened awhile back but on the other side (left turns) had that fixed (trans axle?) and the mech charged $500, now it's doing it when turning right.

Second, the engine is almost wore out, pings really bad, still gets around and all, but I had it tuned up before the first trans axle job, but it wasn't much better then than it is now, I did put new plugs and filter on it this last summer. The mech I took it to before said let it die, but I really think he simply didn't want to bother with it again(he had alot of cars waiting)...

So here's my questions: I want to keep the car, good body, no rust, it's been dependable and it's slated to be passed on to my 17yr old son.
If I get one of these remanufactured engines and have that put in, will that include the trans axles also? since it's fwd and all...sorry if this sounds really stupid, but I just don't know.
Also, what should I look for with a reman engine, what are some general ballpark costs that this would run?

Thanks for any help/advice you guys can give, I really appreciate it. I was the Toyota spokesman for about 9 years on Guam and chose the Tercel(7years ago now) cause it was a great price, good shape and I know they last, but I don't have anyone with Toyota experience to turn to here. As mentioned, this is going to be handed down to the boy, he's not a big car guy, but loves the old gal, so I want to get it fixed up for him but budget is pretty limited, not to mention my experience and skill levels,...lol

Thanks to all and look forward to any replies, just want to have some ammo when dealing with a new mech that I yet need to find and don't want to get the "bend over" routine..lol
Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
103 Posts
Well I think it'll be about 1000 dollars installed (engine) and that doesn't include a transmission, but look around and get some quotes because prices always vary, but it sounds like a new engine is the way to go also when you give it to your son it will be reliable which is always a good thing. Also the noise in turns very likely could be a cv joint on the right side which i checked and is about 170$ here in southern cali to replace so i would be careful if your mechanic charged you 500 for a cv joint. If you need help theres alot of smart guys on this forum that will help you so don't be afraid to ask. Good Luck:thumbup:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks theman86_2 for your reply, much needed and much appreciated!

Sounds like my mech got a nice ROI with that job, the part price sounds about right, I have no idea how long it actually took him to replace...hmmmm

Another question if I may...it's obvious to me I need to go with another engine, I know the engine wasn't pulled when he did the CV joint, so which step method would be best? Should I have it done together at the same time?, is there any benifit to having it done at the same time both engine and CV joint or does it not really matter that much?...I relize that time-wise it will prob be a shorter time at the shop done at one time, but any real mechanical pluses? like would it cut the CV time down by half or so if done when the engine is being dropped in?

Thanks for your advice and help, we talked (my son and I) it over last night and we really want to do a resto on it, such a great little workhorse, which must be why we still see em all the time on the road...infact, it's nice seeing him interested in something other than a PC game!...lol Nothing wrong with that at all, but anything that increases time out of the room seems like a good thing at this time..lol
Thanks for you help!
Steve

·
Registered
103 Posts
It's cool how your helping your son out with that car, but anyways the cv joints are by the wheels so it doesn't really matter if he does them at the same time but if he does them both he should give you some kinda discount because he's gonna make a lot of money off the work you need done. Just be watchful of what he charges and ask a lot of questions about the bill or work he's doing if your curious, and get other estimates too because you may always find a better deal

1 - 4 of 4 Posts