Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, people...
I just wanna say, this forum has been VERY helpful to me, as I have learned very much from all of you.

Anyway, my 96 Camry 2.2L is currently running 107k+ miles, and my struts are total crap at this point.
I get so much road vibration that my rear view mirror is blurry when I'm on the freeway.
I will be changing them out within the next 1-3 weeks.
I am able to get a full set of Tokico HP for ~$300 or a full set of KYB GR-2 for $235.
I was about to go for the KYB's, but I've heard from some that the Tokico's are way better in terms of performance (the KYB's being more bouncy).

It is a daily driver, and I definitely am not the type to race or anything, but I would really like an increase in performance and might go for the Tokico's if they really are that much better.
Also, seeing that the car is nearing her 10th birthday, she is getting a bit old, which kinda makes me hesitate about getting the Tokico's.
Anybody have an opinion on what I should get?
Are the Tokico's worth the extra $65?
What would you do if you were in my shoes?

Also, I've read about changing the strut mounts, boots, and the rubber insert thingies... I'm not sure what they're called... :confused:
I'm slowly learning, but I'm still a total noob when it comes to cars at this point.
The strut mounts appear to be fine, but would you guys recommend changing all these components (mounts, boots, rubber inserts)?
How much would they go for, and should I look into changing/servicing something else while I'm at it (maybe springs)?
BTW, I'd be getting some help installing the parts, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
Camry
1,463 Posts
I did my suspension and wheels about the same time. Tokicos, Whiteline Rear S/Bar, H&Rs and 17" 50 Series tires. There was quite a bit more road feedback. I got used to it and I like it. Makes me forget I am driving a four door shopping cart sometimes. Anyway, two nights ago, I remounted my stock 15" inch rims with 65 Series tires and I was stunned at how the old soft feeling came back. I am running winter tires now so am not going to rip around corners to check out stability. It still seems to handle really good.

So if anything, I recommend changing out to full Tokico struts. I do recommend rubber changes but most important is get the RSB. It's awesome. Gets that fat ass inline when driving. Not expensive and since your car is up there, best time to install.

If you have a few dollars leftover, do springs too. Go for the Eibach (for near stock height) or the H&R springs for a more aggressive look. It's not slammed but looks good, exactly what I was looking for. Its noticable when you are really looking but not glaringly obvious.
Also improves handling even more.

The harshest ride difference is when you switch wheels and tires to lower profile.

BTW, my ride is a 1993.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response.

I'm really leaning more toward the Tokico's now.
As for the rubber part(s), what would they be called and how much would they go for?
I know the boots would need to be changed if they're cracked and/or dry.
Also, if i were to change them, would I have to worry about matching brands, or will it be fine as long as it's made for my car?

For the RSB, that's really something I haven't yet considered... I might look into that later on.
Mostly, I would like to keep my car stock with a little extra performance.
That's the main reason I'm looking at the HP's and GR-2's.
Replacing the struts would probably be sufficient for me, and I would appreciate any additional input.
Anybody else?

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I bought Tokico HP's and Intrax springs about a month ago, I will be installing everyhint next Friday (Dec 9th). I got finals in college right now so there is no time. I can post pics and my opinon of them as soon as I finish the install.
It's weird how I have 96 Camry with exactly same milage as yours (107K). It does feel pretty bad on the road. I remember 3 years ago when I got the car it was much softer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
CamryMax said:
I bought Tokico HP's and Intrax springs about a month ago, I will be installing everyhint next Friday (Dec 9th). I got finals in college right now so there is no time. I can post pics and my opinon of them as soon as I finish the install.
It's weird how I have 96 Camry with exactly same milage as yours (107K). It does feel pretty bad on the road. I remember 3 years ago when I got the car it was much softer.
LOL...
I'm in exactly the same boat as you...
I'm in college, so I have to wait until after this week of finals to start on the project...
Anyway, I would be VERY grateful if you could do a follow-up on your setup.
Will you be using your old parts besides the struts and springs?

Unless somebody tries to justify the price/performance difference with the GR-2's, I will probably be getting the Tokicos...

·
Read Only
0 Posts
locusto03 said:
LOL...
I'm in exactly the same boat as you...
I'm in college, so I have to wait until after this week of finals to start on the project...
Anyway, I would be VERY grateful if you could do a follow-up on your setup.
Will you be using your old parts besides the struts and springs?

Unless somebody tries to justify the price/performance difference with the GR-2's, I will probably be getting the Tokicos...
Yeah man, i'll follow up, you can PM in a week or so incase I'll forget:)
No, I'm not going to change anything else. Just struts and springs, can't afford antything else right now, plus I think everything else should be fine.

·
Registered
25 Posts
What about the mounts? I was going to put new struts in my 94 but waiting to find out whether I need new mounts. The mounts are expensive too. Also, what if I just change the front ones righ now? No one rides in the back seat of my car.

·
93 i4 auto & 98 v6 auto
22 Posts
Consider the option:keep factory springs+clean up/ reuse the factory rubber mounts and bump stops .
Also dust boots ($ 2.75 each) at local off-road shop will work as well as factory ...
I went with KYB GR-2 front /rear (Tire Rack)...nice and firm... Good Luck
Richard

·
S14 Fever :D
1993 Toyota Scepter
2,457 Posts
I bought Tokico gas shocks for my 93 Camry about a year and a half ago and I was very happy with them. I had no problems what so ever with them and the ride was very stiff and firm. The car handled great with them.

·
Registered
2 Toys
412 Posts
Go ahead and do strut mounts. Easier to do them now while you got everything apart. Sounds like Toyota's mounts are the ones to go with. I have KYB mounts on mine and they seem ok, but I do notice more noise over bumped and potholes as they've gotten more miles on them. Thinking it's the mounts causing it. Also, I hear the KYB mounts dont hold up as well at the toyotas so if I could do it again, Id buy them from the dealer. I just figurd KYB would have been the better brand, given they have experience with suspension parts. Also, I have gr2s and eibachs on my 90 corolla and love em. From what I hear the HPs are nicer but I didnt have that option on my car. I would also go with the HPs, as I hear sometimes the GR2s dont have the best product life either.

·
Dealer Tech..not Toyota
540 Posts
hmmm, lol ive got a '92 with 131xxxMi, the front struts i replaced w/ monroe or w/e is at advance for not too much, but id like to get stiffer, and lower, new springs and struts a good idea, GR-2's all around, + eibach or H&R's?
lol since it got a little more chilly round here, my back struts are whining at me, the good old, SCRAUNCH, as i go over a speed bump, or around a kinda quick turn, so its time for them i know!:p:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the input, guys.

I've decided to go w/ Tokico, seeing as how almost everybody recommends them.
I'll probably be changing the boots and the rubber inserts, and I'll definitely look into changing the upper strut mounts also.
Anyway, I'll let you all know how it goes, and if anybody still has a say, I'd really like to hear it.

Once again, thanks a lot. :thanks:

·
S14 Fever :D
1993 Toyota Scepter
2,457 Posts
locusto03 said:
Thanks for all the input, guys.

I've decided to go w/ Tokico, seeing as how almost everybody recommends them.
I'll probably be changing the boots and the rubber inserts, and I'll definitely look into changing the upper strut mounts also.
Anyway, I'll let you all know how it goes, and if anybody still has a say, I'd really like to hear it.

Once again, thanks a lot. :thanks:
Cool, let us know how how it turns out when you get them installed. Also, I would recommend that you install some H&R lowering Springs with the Tokicos:thumbup:

·
Where are we going today?
Camry 00/Corolla 19
2,615 Posts
CamryMax said:
Yeah man, i'll follow up, you can PM in a week or so incase I'll forget:)
No, I'm not going to change anything else. Just struts and springs, can't afford antything else right now, plus I think everything else should be fine.
u should change the strut mounts and boot cover cos u have the whole assembly out already

it;s like changing the drive belts but not changing the water pump

my 2 cents

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.