Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
is it a swap into an ae86 or ae92? because you shall need a blacktop ECU even if the motor is a silvertop.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,945 Posts
jayboogie said:
is it a swap into an ae86 or ae92? because you shall need a blacktop ECU even if the motor is a silvertop.
why does he need to use a MAP blacktop ecu when he's got an AFM equipped silvertop motor? :hammer:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ECU FOR A SILVER TOP 20V

Folks , I have a 1989 Toyota corolla SRS and I bought a 4AGE Silver top 20 Valves. I need an ECU for it . It did not come with one. That's all . thank you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
micro214_kp61 said:
why does he need to use a MAP blacktop ecu when he's got an AFM equipped silvertop motor? :hammer:
i assumed like everyone else he would be running open TB's

:p:

Parts needed to complete 20V installation in an AE92

This list is in no way complete but here are some major items you will definitely need before getting dirty and yanking your 16V unit out. (* AE111 ECU only, **AE101 ECU Only)

-Vacuum Sensor * (post 1990 Toyota Denso, Any Normally Aspirated)


-Air Temperature Sensor * (Post 1984 Denso Type)


-Air Flow Meter **(Specific to AE101 ECU, NOT... the 16V 4A-GE unit)


-4-Wire heated O2 Sensor (Zirconium based voltage unit) to replace the 16V's single wire O2 sensor


-OEM 20V AE111 ECU - (yes, blacktop and no, the 16V unit cannot be used for major requirement difference on the 4 throttle operation and fuel and timing MAPs, AE101 shown)

-Ignitor and Coil Assembly (Specific to 20V engines AE101/AE111 interchangeable, but NOT the 16V unit)

-20V 4A-GE Electrical Diagrams and AE86 Repair Manual (OEM)

-Pipes and Hoses, Elbows for water lines

-Wire harness or at least all sockets for sensors and 20V ECU.

-All VSV solenoids (AC and PS solenoids not required)

-Throttle cable from left hand drive ae92

-All actuators on the head and throughout the engine (ISCV, VVT) and sensors (TPS and Distributor Angle Sensor)

this. is what needs to be done... if you thought it was as simple as getting the engine and ECU... think again.

http://www.club4ag.com/faq and tech_pages/ae86_project 20V.htm

^ club4ag tech page on corolla swap. ignore the belt fan and engine placement application.
 

·
Immortal
Joined
·
332 Posts
jayboogie said:
i assumed like everyone else he would be running open TB's

:p:

Parts needed to complete 20V installation in an AE92

This list is in no way complete but here are some major items you will definitely need before getting dirty and yanking your 16V unit out. (* AE111 ECU only, **AE101 ECU Only)

-Vacuum Sensor * (post 1990 Toyota Denso, Any Normally Aspirated)


-Air Temperature Sensor * (Post 1984 Denso Type)


-Air Flow Meter **(Specific to AE101 ECU, NOT... the 16V 4A-GE unit)


-4-Wire heated O2 Sensor (Zirconium based voltage unit) to replace the 16V's single wire O2 sensor


-OEM 20V AE111 ECU - (yes, blacktop and no, the 16V unit cannot be used for major requirement difference on the 4 throttle operation and fuel and timing MAPs, AE101 shown)

-Ignitor and Coil Assembly (Specific to 20V engines AE101/AE111 interchangeable, but NOT the 16V unit)

-20V 4A-GE Electrical Diagrams and AE86 Repair Manual (OEM)

-Pipes and Hoses, Elbows for water lines

-Wire harness or at least all sockets for sensors and 20V ECU.

-All VSV solenoids (AC and PS solenoids not required)

-Throttle cable from left hand drive ae92

-All actuators on the head and throughout the engine (ISCV, VVT) and sensors (TPS and Distributor Angle Sensor)

this. is what needs to be done... if you thought it was as simple as getting the engine and ECU... think again.
And if you thought it was as simple as using the blacktop ECU to run open ITBs... think again... ;]
 

·
Country Hick
2001 Nissan Pulsar
Joined
·
1,339 Posts
they have plenty on the Toysport page.. If you didnt know already, the cars they came out of were the AE101 GT-Apex - on that site as AE101 GT GTAPX
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,945 Posts
Kwanza said:
And if you thought it was as simple as using the blacktop ECU to run open ITBs... think again... ;]

jayboogie... it's NOT as simple as you think running open ITBs on a silvertop... since you've been doing research already ask your buddy google.com about the wiring, maybe he'll enlighten you more... :rolleyes:

Kwaza... my point exactly!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
micro214_kp61 said:
jayboogie... it's NOT as simple as you think running open ITBs on a silvertop... since you've been doing research already ask your buddy google.com about the wiring, maybe he'll enlighten you more... :rolleyes:

Kwaza... my point exactly!
not google.com but club4ag and all that info is quoted from that guide... close, but thanks for the flame buddy!

oh, and the guide has those wiring problems listed too, no need for my homies google and yahoo unless that step-by-step guide is incorrect. it was made by someone who had successfully completed one (i believe) and is a page in what is referred to as the "tech reference" page on http://www.club4ag.com. everyone who asks a question about a swap refers people to that guide, im just doing the same.

and besides, whats the big deal with using the internet as an information source? word on the street is that it's good for that as well as many other things - but thats just what i hear. then again... we're on the internet right now i bet at least one of those 800 posts of yours dealt with a question you had. oh dear, i would hate to see the feedback the dictionary got when it first came out.

that web site has been one of the sources i have used when considering an engine swap for my car and an information source on how to lightly tune it, etc. etc. just sharing it with the kiddo.

and no, i dont think i ever said anything once about a swap being easy. use your friend quote and find a section where i say anything about something being simple or easy?

here... ill help you

if you thought it was as simple as getting the engine and ECU... think again.
-jayboogie

so therefore your guys' "point exactly" is exactly my point... but my point is not "gooder" because you dont like my syntax? bunch of prose nazi's if you ask me. :(

since he said he only has the motor, i thought i would give him a heads up of what else he needs... because its really not that easy.

and yes i am defensive because i dont like having my intelligence insulted, no hard feelings of course. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Kwanza said:
And if you thought it was as simple as using the blacktop ECU to run open ITBs... think again... ;]
and i say that... where? :thumbdown
 

·
Immortal
Joined
·
332 Posts
jayboogie said:
and i say that... where? :thumbdown
Here:

is it a swap into an ae86 or ae92? because you shall need a blacktop ECU even if the motor is a silvertop.
and further here:

i assumed like everyone else he would be running open TB's
I don't mean this as a flame or anything like that, but even with the information you posted, it doesn't even come close to the actual workload involved. You don't seem to know how to do it yourself, and are merely quoting club4ag... so it's like the blind leading the blind. I'm just clearifying that with as little words as possible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Kwanza said:
Here:



and further here:



I don't mean this as a flame or anything like that, but even with the information you posted, it doesn't even come close to the actual workload involved. You don't seem to know how to do it yourself, and are merely quoting club4ag... so it's like the blind leading the blind. I'm just clearifying that with as little words as possible.
yes, my fault for assuming he would run open tb's but i originally wanted a 20v swap myself (before realizing california emissions codes :() and wanted to do so, so i've been reading a lot about it.

i have talked to this guy Peter down here who drives an ae86 hatch (which he just totalled btw). and he did a whole 20v silvertop swap himself with open TB's... theres 3 cats in sac (that i know of) who have done 20v swaps, all in DoriSluts and all run open tb's. the only things he told me (through my friend) was this "MAP conversion".

knowing that it wasn't that simple i did my own research and stumbled upon the club4ag tech page (im also a member there).
and if the tech page is correct... (which i think it is, after all it IS titled "tech page") even though i do not have firsthand experience in swapping a 20v, i would think that the guide is a great place to start when even considering one... and im not a nubian to working on cars as well... ive put all the wrench time i can on my cars... but surprisingly none on my corolla except for fabricating an AFM cone adaptor. (ill be posting a topic with my work shortly :D kinda funny how i did it)

and yes i see your point, but i gave him the whole guide to look at, which os something that seems to be a complete reference upon looking at the page. it's probably a lot better than anyone else would probably do for him... and a lot better than letting him fetch an ECU and then realizing that shit isn't legos... my point was, i never said anything was easy. you now get a :thumbup:

PM me with your AIM s/n or something, im interested to see what you have planned for your ae92!!! with funds piling up im debating several options and nothing for sure.
 

·
Immortal
Joined
·
332 Posts
jayboogie said:
yes, my fault for assuming but i originall wanted a 20v swap myself (before realize california emissions codes :()

i have talked to this guy Peter down here who drives an ae86 hatch (which he just totalled btw). and he did a whole 20v silvertop swap himself with open TB's... theres 3 cats in sac (that i know of) who have done 20v swaps, all in DoriSluts and all run open tb's. the only things he told me (through my friend) was this "MAP conversion".

knowing that it wasn't that simple i did my own research and stumbled upon the club4ag tech page (im also a member there).

i see your point, but i gave him the whole guide to look at, which is a lot better than anyone else would probably do for him... and something that seems to be a complete reference, which will be evident if you visit the page. its a lot better than letting him fetch an ECU and then realizing that shit doesnt click... my point was, i never said anything was easy. you now get a :thumbup:
Don't worry bout it... I'm sure if he has full swap questions, he'll ask. As is, unless he's very good at DIY and electricals... it's gonna be a long hard swap. I know what you mean with California Emissions... luckily... I can deck out my 4AG as much as I want (my family owns a smog shop)... ;D

I'm a regular on Club4AG also... well, I browse and post occasionally. I buy stuff from there... ;]
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top