Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2000 GTS my first gear is not that powerful....im pretty sure its due to the catback exhaust...cause i have a top end from hell. what would be the best thing to do for more bottom end? i already have a short ram air intake . if i can work out the bottom end problem then ill be set!
thanks in advance
steven

·
Registered
443 Posts
Headers, and a Cold Air Intake. Throtel body Spacer, get your ECU reprogramed. things like that, Short Rams are a waist of time. all they do is dump hot air into your car faster.

if you have the means, get the Head Ported and Polished.

thats just basic car stuff.

·
^
4,197 Posts
To gain torque there isn't much you can do on a revvy 1.8L. Supercharging, turboing would obviously be the biggest torque gains. For less expensive mods, CAI, 4-2-1 header (if they make one, I think they're all 4-1 designs.)

·
Immortal
332 Posts
These engines are not designed to make a lot of low-end torque. They're designed for top-end power. Can't have the best of both worlds with small displacement... or 4 cylinders for that matter. Bolt-ons don't change anything...

·
Immortal
332 Posts
2000GTS said:
i dont need a lot of bottom end i just want as much as i can get anything will help!
I wasn't reffering to a lot. These engines just don't make extra low-end torque from bolt-ons or any modifications short of a turbocharger or supercharger. If anything, modifications reduce intake/exhaust charge velocity in the lower rpms and decrease low-end torque.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How much would a descent turbo or super charger run me? right now i can only afford something that wouldnt cost a lot but i can save up the money pretty quick if i need too lol!

·
Immortal
332 Posts
2000GTS said:
How much would a descent turbo or super charger run me? right now i can only afford something that wouldnt cost a lot but i can save up the money pretty quick if i need too lol!
Gotta be custom. A custom s/c kit is $$$... a turbo kit can be easily over 1,000 in parts and tuning...

·
Registered
443 Posts
Why do u need more low end?

just Tac the bitch up to 5 and dump the clutch, Friction will take care of any gearing ishues.

low end just gets you off the line, trust me, dont do holeshots with a 2zz, my Jeep would eat you alive for the first 200 feat. the 2zz is all about bad ass ballz out rev's up around the 5-7 mark on that tac of yours. if u want top and low end, get a v8 and give it 11:1 comp.

·
^
4,197 Posts
Kwanza said:
Gotta be custom. A custom s/c kit is $$$... a turbo kit can be easily over 1,000 in parts and tuning...

A Blitz S/C is around $5000USD, a turbo kit is around $3500USD.

And I have to disagree that bolt ons will do nothing. Being a small displacement engine, it does rely on crazy revs to make HP and yeah, small N/A engines cannot make torque. But a good header and intake will add HP and TQ. Whether you feel it or not is a different story.

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
If you want torque, swap in a 5S-FE :D
All the GE engines are for rev, not torque. If you don't know how to drive it, we can't help you much.
Intake, exhaust will add more highend. A good header will add full range. Increase CR will add full range too. Same as turbo and SC.

·
camrys blow off too!
06 subaru wrx wagon
554 Posts
as bad as it is, i drive 2 rev happy cars, its different driving them. either slip the shit out of the clutch or drop it from a high rev. of course thats if you are on the track. bolt ons will help, but it doesnt change the engine. its rev happy....rev it!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
but if im at the track or on the streets i dont wanna lose traction. If i do then there is no use in the bottom end any way for the simple fact that ur gonna lose friction and the other car is gonna jump off the line.....

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its easy to lose traction off the line at the track ill run at.....it kinda sucks but its all we got.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts