Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
car alarm/power locks for a 2004 corolla CE

I decided I want to get a car alarm and am considering doing it myself.

I know nothing about this, so can someone point me in the right direction. Right now all I can think of is to go on crutchfield and buy a crimeguard and home the install guide is good enough for someone whos never done this before.

While considering the car alarm, I was wondering If I need or should get power locks also. What are the pros and cons of installing both things? If they are independent, ie. installing the power locks and installing the car alarm can be done in any order and at any time, without any gains from doign both at the same time, then I probly would only do the car alarm.

I have not been able to find anything on installin power locks on a corolla CE. I have no idea where to buy the parts either. Someone help me find some information on that!

Lastly, I'm not much into cars, I prefer computers, would going to dealership offer any pros to this process. I'm not worried about saving $100, but saving $500 would have me thinking. Whats the average price at a toyota dealership to install an alarm and power locks?

Thanks for your help.

·
Country Hick
2001 Nissan Pulsar
1,339 Posts
I know over here any car stero place will look at installing both for you. Just go there and ask them if they have any alarms, and weather or not they can hook up the door locks at the same time. Power locks, especially, takes a LONG time if you dont know what you are looking at/for.

And from my experiances... Somewhere in the alarm insallation process something will be wrong (wire colour etc.). With something like that, also, best to get the pro's to do it... they work with them everyday.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have heard some terrible stories about those audio/alarm places. If anything I'd rather do it through a dealership. Whats the price difference between them?

How do I know what brand of car alarm is good? And how do I know they are using good power locks, preferably toyota parts?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the link.

Wondering why the Audiovox Rampage AA-9347 is so cheap?

But from the looks of it the crimeguard seems to be the best choice for me based on price and reputation. Anyone have a better pick?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, does the crimeguard or any of these have an engine cutoff switch? I would think they do.

Still haven't called the dealership to see how much it is, but I think the only reason I would go to a dealer if its not too expensive and I decide on getting the power locks also.

Anyone have a definite answer wether its a good idea to put the power locks at the same time as the alarm? You can't have an auto lock button on the alarm without power locks right?

·
Registered
20 Posts
try http://slickcar.com, they have addon kit for both

powerlock (about 45)
powerwindows (about 110 for two windows)

They also have alarms and electric trunk release and whole lot of other stuff.

Another place is http://commandoalarms.com, sells about the same thing.

I just got a 2004 Corolla CE as well.

What have you done with it so far?

For me, I'm thinking of getting arm rest panels (with lock and windows switches) from a wrecked Corolla 2002-2004. I'm not too crazy about cutting up door panels for the switches (power lock and window)

If the used powerlock and powerwindow components aren't in bad shape, might get them used as well.

I don't trust them alarm places, either. Even less respect for my Toyota dealer. They wanted $300 for the powerlock. The car is a great deal, though

1 - 7 of 7 Posts