Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i'm looking at a 91 MR2 N/A on ebay and the bid end in like 6 hours so i need help quick. The guy says his A/C pump is frozen so the A/C doesn't work. Now i called a toyota dealership and they said its not an A/C pump but a compresser, and you will need a few other parts like R12 cooling stuff. He said all together is would be like 1200 bucks to get the A/C working. Is this true, or does anyone know a way to get the A/C working? Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
it depends on what is wrong with the AC system...could just be out of refrigerant to the compressor being dead....unless u live in the southern US regions...u should be able to live w/o ac..i took mine out.....

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i live in jersey, now if the the guy said that the AC pump is frozen. I dont know what that means or how much it would cost to fix. Now one more thing, if the AC doesn't work that doesn't mean the heat doesn't work either does it?

·
400whp club here I come!!
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
^ No... if it's the AC compressor your heater WILL still work. The vents will still blow air also... but it just wont be that icy feel.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ooo ok thanks, so if the AC compresser is frozen, do you know how much it will cost to repair it including labor costs?

·
400whp club here I come!!
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
All I know.... is don't go to Toyota. They wanted ~$1,600 to fix the AC in my Supra..... Bastards.

·
Registered
97 Posts
You should be able to find a used a/c compressor online @ mr2.com or maybe even ebay.A used unit will be much cheaper than a new one from toyota.Also dont use r12 freon.While you are in there convert it over to 134a.That will save alot.A can of r12 is like almost $80,where as a can of 134a is only $4.Labor will be another issue.Take it to a qualified tech that can be sure it is installed properly and not leaking freon anywhere else.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well thanks for all your help but the guy selling this MR2 cancelled his bid for some reason so i'm not getting it.....thanks for your help everyone anyway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts