Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Boooost
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my car is all done and everything..everything is hooked up..but there's one problem...the car starts and idles for a while...but car shuts down after a few seconds...when we unplugged the mass air flow...the car can idle for a while and can be revved up...we checked all the wirings...and everything is fine...car starts w/o a problem...unless you plug in the mass air flow...just want to hear any opinions on these....and what could be causing the problem??the car is also running rich...and it's not the mass air flow because we swapped it a few times w/ my friend's car....:confused: :confused:

·
Search is your friend
327 Posts
Are you using a 3sgte AFM?
What fuel pump are you running?
Which MAP sensor are you running?
Are you using the injector and fuel pump resistor packs for the 3sgte?
Lots of variables...need to be more specific...check and double check your timing, fuel, ignition.

air+spark+fuel=power

It sounds like the car is starting but not running...the 3sgte injectors are high impedence injectors so you need to run the proper resistor packs, not 5sfe ones. Also 5sfe fuel pump doesnt flow enough fuel for the 3sgte injectors, did you change the fuel filter when you did your swap? Try swaping ecu's (3SGTE)
Another might be the MAP, you cant use the 5sfe MAP, as a matter of fact you cant use any sensors from the 5sfe if your using the 3sgte ecu, that includes the temp sensor in the bottom of the rad. Who did the swap and how much did it cost you?
Again check and double check everything. Ignition timing should be set at 10* BTDC. Check fuel pressure and voltage at the pump and resistors.

·
Boooost
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i think it's the 5sfe fuel pump..that's what im using right now..we already tried swapping the ecu's..but still nothing...i'll let you know what's goin on when i get back to the shop..thanks..

·
Boooost
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no...one of the resistors in the ecu ended up getting fried....got it fixed already...so trying to figure out what went wrong with the wirings..

·
Registered
2 Posts
The 5SFE fuel pump will work b/c that is what I am using and many other swap guys use also.
Did you use the 3SGTE fuel pump relay to allow the fuel pump to run properly with the 3SGTE wiring scheme?
IF you did not or do not know how to wire in the fuel pump relay then there is a very easy way to get the fuel to stay on with constant 12 volts. The Fp(fuel pump) and +B (12 volt) terminals in the diagnostic box have to be bridged using either a paperclip or a short wire, the diagnostics box is a grey little box on the driver side near the firewall.
That may be your problem why the motor shuts off after it starts up. Do you also have the Fuel injector resistor pack plugged in? It has a circular plug with 5 wires on it, it connects to the engine harness that has 5 black w/ orange stripe wires on it.

·
Boooost
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
everything else you mentioned has been done...there were some mistakes in the wiring but has been fixed..just need to replace the fuel injectors since it's been the problem....

·
Registered
234 Posts
thats awesome dude hoped everything worked out for you... when you first began this swap did you buy a front clip or did you just buy the engine with ecu and harness and stuff like that? and how much did it cost you about?

·
Boooost
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just bought the engine..ecu..wiring harness....but we had a front clip sitting where we did my swap..so we had to grab some stuff off that...so i suggest that people should still grab a front clip...the price went to about 4000..cdn..including the engine..new clutch...water pump..timing belt...front mount intercooler...blow off valve....powder coated valve cover...and some other stuff....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts