Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Left to work in the morning,no problem. Truck did not want to crank over in the afternoon. The lights on the dash were very dim. I tried cranking and all I heard was a click noise. I then tried jumping it with a big dump truck and nothing. I checked connections and all looked clean. I had someone move the relay/fuse block and it seemed like the dash lights flickered slightly. I then got the dash lights to be pretty bright and then cranked it and the same, just the relay clicking and the lights dimmed again. Could it be a relay? I did smack the starter some and then decided to push start it and it fired right up. As I was driving about 40mph or so, I turned off engine and cranked it, and nothing again. I pop started it while I was coasting and it turned on again. what to check? Anyone ever have this problem? What was it?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I would start with checking to make sure the battery is grounded well to both the engine and the frame. Then I would pull the wire from the starter relay to the starter solenoid. I would put a wire on the starter solenoid. Now you can touch the new wire coming from the solenoid to the hot side of your battery. If it cranks the problem isn't your starter.
With your lights acting funny I would think you aren't getting proper voltage to the dash. I'd look for corrosion on the battery or a loose ground first thing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have an 86 that one day wouldn't crank. I was advised that it could be one of three things.
1. A weak ignition switch.
2. A bad clutch safety switch
3. A bad starter relay

Instead of spending all day troubleshooting I put a push button switch to send 12 volts to the starter solenoid. So now I turn the key to run then hit the momentary switch to turn the starter.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would start with checking to make sure the battery is grounded well to both the engine and the frame. Then I would pull the wire from the starter relay to the starter solenoid. I would put a wire on the starter solenoid. Now you can touch the new wire coming from the solenoid to the hot side of your battery. If it cranks the problem isn't your starter.
With your lights acting funny I would think you aren't getting proper voltage to the dash. I'd look for corrosion on the battery or a loose ground first thing.

Yes, grounds were cleaned a couple of months ago. They still look clean. All grounds that I could possibly find in the engine bay were also cleaned very well. the battery clamps have no corrosion at all. I'll try the wire later on today. Thanks

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried connecting a hot wire to the solenoid and the 1 -wire connector and all they did was spark when connected to battery pos.. I'm assuming starter is bad. Will be changing out today. Thanks for tips

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I checked batt voltage and it was 12.6. I changed out the starter with a freshly rebuily one and, NOTHING! i do get a click from the starter relay every time that I try to crank it. Could this be the problem? How can I test it? I need this truck up and running asap! Thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
You need to make sure you are getting 12 volts to the starter solenoid when you turn the ignition switch.

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,801 Posts
I tried connecting a hot wire to the solenoid and the 1 -wire connector and all they did was spark when connected to battery pos.. I'm assuming starter is bad. Will be changing out today. Thanks for tips
Your know that the Ignition switch has to be in the RUN position when you do that.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You know that the Ignition switch has to be in the RUN position when you do that.
Ooops, I forgot. While driving back from work, I had tapped the accelerator kinda moderate and the oil, battery and brake came on, as if the ignition had cut out. I don't think that it did, I tapped the throttle a few more times and it kept doing the same thing every time.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had someone crank and hold clutch down and I checked the wiring that goes to the relay with a voltmeter and I did get a signal. I had my son turn the key to run and off a few times and i did see the voltmeter needle move accordingly. I then put 12v to the single wire that goes to the starter with a wire straight from the battery and all it did was spark ,like it was a small short ,whenever I touched the wire. [email protected]#$% what else can I do?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That sounds like a dead short in the battery.

Don't know if it had a short, but it was the battery! I even checked it and it was around 12.60. Fired right up on the first crank. Thank to all for the suggestions!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts